Attention all Canadians.....Ottawa is advising against ALL cruising!

kazu

10 minutes ago, npcl said:

Unfortunately the bad news is there has been spread in some countries in pretty warm places such an Singapore.  The good news is that the spread seems to be slower.

The other bad news is even if it is seasonal then expect the outbreak to get worse in the southern hemisphere as it lightens in the northern.  So even if it does follow cold/flu season it most likely would turn into an annual event. Though that would buy time for a vaccine.

Yes, vaccine is what we are waiting for!  We do get our flu shot every year, and expect that helps - at least to make a possible infection milder.  We hope it will work that way for COVID-19.  However, we don't have a "common cold vaccine" - I suppose because there are so many genetic versions, like the flu.

Edited by Vict0riann

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

Question for those who have changed flights, as allowed by some airlines:  Are they requiring you to book the same route later on, or is it a credit for any destination you choose?

(Lazy to ask the question here, but I dread being on hold forever with the airline.)

Thanks

JetBlue was just a bulk credit to be used toward any flights booked one year from the date of cancelation. No other restrictions.

2 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

JetBlue was just a bulk credit to be used toward any flights booked one year from the date of cancelation. No other restrictions.

I bought Air Canada flights through HAL Fly Ease for the very first time.  Air Canada's policy for cancelling flights is only for flights bought directly with Air Canada. Am I out of $500 or will HAL give me a credit for future flights?  I have sent this question to my PCC but who knows when I will get an answer.  I have not yet cancelled my Apr 3 cruise but am leaning towards it as my out-of-country medical insurance is not covering anything to do with Corona Virus. We have now seen passengers taken off the ship and taken to U.S. hospitals.  I am not wealthy and even a few days in an American hospital would wipe out all my savings. Decision to be made soon.  I hate insurance companies; they are unforgiving.

3 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I'm thankful for the insurance we have.  We've checked with them twice and we would be covered in all circumstances.

You are very lucky. My $5 million medical policy comes with my job but I never even thought before this that it would not include a virus if it's serious enough to end up in hospital.

4 minutes ago, dot73 said:

I bought Air Canada flights through HAL Fly Ease for the very first time.  Air Canada's policy for cancelling flights is only for flights bought directly with Air Canada. Am I out of $500 or will HAL give me a credit for future flights?  I have sent this question to my PCC but who knows when I will get an answer.  I have not yet cancelled my Apr 3 cruise but am leaning towards it as my out-of-country medical insurance is not covering anything to do with Corona Virus. We have now seen passengers taken off the ship and taken to U.S. hospitals.  I am not wealthy and even a few days in an American hospital would wipe out all my savings. Decision to be made soon.  I hate insurance companies; they are unforgiving.

I can not answer your question but our PCC has responded to our emails within 24 hours so hopefully yours will get back to you asap. I would assume there will be some protections in place for Flightease bookings now especially since the airlines seem to all be falling into line with the prevailing practice of refunding or at least crediting fares.

But yes... I think we ALL will be far more careful concerning the purchasing of travel insurance from now on. And who knows, if government regulatory agencies governing insurance get enough complaints concerning bad faith business practices, maybe things will change. It seems that is often the only way things change for the better.

1 hour ago, dot73 said:

You are very lucky. My $5 million medical policy comes with my job but I never even thought before this that it would not include a virus if it's serious enough to end up in hospital.

Likewise, mine is part of my benefit package from my employment, I called this morning and received a similar answer, with a pandemic declared, I would not be covered should I choose to travel. 

3 hours ago, dot73 said:

What a mess-so sorry this has happened.  I’d love to know the outcome of your AC flight through flight ease how it is resolved if you wouldn’t mind posting.  We’ve booked using them before but haven’t had to cancel. 

Being Canadian as well there’s no way we’d risk not having our out of country medical not cover us.  Scary thought.  

Hopefully your PCC gets back to you soon.  

(you were on our whale shark cruise, right?!) 

My best guess on the Air Canada question - if flight ease hasn’t ticketed yet they will refund.  If they have ticketed you and if you have HAL’s insurance or other travel insurance you should be refunded.

I’m not sure after that with all that’s going if Air Canada would give you a credit and/or if flight ease has the pull to get the $$ back.

I do have an Air Canada flight which I can get credit for but personally I’d rather have my money back.  Who knows when we can go where?  And if my travel is just to visit family I’ll lose $ big time.  I do have cancellation insurance but I am betting dollars to donuts that they will say if you have a credit, they don’t need to pay.

I have a headache with all this rigmarole.  

I hope it works out for you @dot73  I think you have some options (I hope).  Let us know how it works for you.

23 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

What a mess-so sorry this has happened.  I’d love to know the outcome of your AC flight through flight ease how it is resolved if you wouldn’t mind posting.  We’ve booked using them before but haven’t had to cancel. 

Being Canadian as well there’s no way we’d risk not having our out of country medical not cover us.  Scary thought.  

Hopefully your PCC gets back to you soon.

(you were on our whale shark cruise, right?!) 

My PCC emailed me back and advised that the cost of the flight will be refunded to my credit card as will the port fees and taxes. The cost of the cruise will go towards an FCC, which is fine with me.  I still haven't cancelled the cruise but I will have to.

Yes, I was on the whale shark excursion with you. I will never forget the drive back to the port with that crazy driver.  I had booked another one with a bunch of roll call members for this cruise hoping the weather would be  better and will have to cancel it also.  I love that itinerary and will look for another similar one. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dot73 said:

My PCC emailed me back and advised that the cost of the flight will be refunded to my credit card as will the port fees and taxes. The cost of the cruise will go towards an FCC, which is fine with me.  I still haven't cancelled the cruise but I will have to.

Yes, I was on the whale shark excursion with you. I will never forget the drive back to the port with that crazy driver.  I had booked another one with a bunch of roll call members for this cruise hoping the weather would be  better and will have to cancel it also.  I love that itinerary and will look for another similar one. 

Thanks for the update.   

I had tried to send you an email that I had from our whale shark cruise but you must have changed it.   Lol-yes, that crazy driver!  

What a shame you all have to cancel especially with the whale sharks-that was such an awesome experience snorkeling with those majestic creatures.  

18 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Thanks for the update.   

I had tried to send you an email that I had from our whale shark cruise but you must have changed it.   Lol-yes, that crazy driver!  

What a shame you all have to cancel especially with the whale sharks-that was such an awesome experience snorkeling with those majestic creatures.  

I have reluctantly just emailed my PCC to cancel the cruise.