"Cruise with Confidence" fine print and loopholes for X

Cruizen Susan

Dear cruise friends!  I have great news!

I am finished my rant and now for the latest!!   Just received this from my TA:

Looks like they made a change to that policy:

"What if my client used a Future Cruise Credit to pay for their existing cruise and now wishes to cancel under the Cruise with Confidence terms? 
The original Future Cruise Credit will be reinstated with the prior Future Cruise Credit expiration date  and amount. Your client will also receive a new Future Cruise Credit based on the amount paid and following the Cruise with Confidence policy terms."
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cruizen Susan said:

Forgot to thank Celebrity for stepping up and increasing our confidence!

3 minutes ago, Cruizen Susan said:

"What if my client used a Future Cruise Credit to pay for their existing cruise and now wishes to cancel under the Cruise with Confidence terms? 
The original Future Cruise Credit will be reinstated with the prior Future Cruise Credit expiration date  and amount. Your client will also receive a new Future Cruise Credit based on the amount paid and following the Cruise with Confidence policy terms."

Well there ya go ... even Celebrity recognized this was unfair in this situation!  Good on Celebrity!

PS ... I really did unfollow but had to peak again 🙂 due to a 'like' on my post ... and glad I did.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cruizen Susan said:

Great news for you! Congrats. Hopefully RCCL will follow suit. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cruizen Susan said:

Congrats on your outcome Susan. Been following since you posted being that we may find ourselves in the same position with our upcoming cruise. Curious if this change is temporary in light of current events, or permanent. Also wonder how cruise insurance would handle?

5 minutes ago, treehugr said:

Congrats on your outcome Susan. Been following since you posted being that we may find ourselves in the same position with our upcoming cruise. Curious if this change is temporary in light of current events, or permanent. Also wonder how cruise insurance would handle?

Thank you!!   That is a very good question.   Wow, will have to wait and see......  As far as insurance,  our policies will not cover any credit applied, only cash paid (credit card)

42 minutes ago, Cruizen Susan said:

Thanks Susan,

Can you direct me to where this is stated. I've not canceled yet, but would like to have it as backup if I choose to and need it to get my FCC that I used to book the cruise reinstated. Is it on the Celebrity WEB Site?

36 minutes ago, HBDave said:

Thanks Susan,

Can you direct me to where this is stated. I've not canceled yet, but would like to have it as backup if I choose to and need it to get my FCC that I used to book the cruise reinstated. Is it on the Celebrity WEB Site?

That update came from my TA this morning.   I just checked the Celebrity site T and C's and it's not updated there yet.

1 minute ago, Cruizen Susan said:

That update came from my TA this morning.   I just checked the Celebrity site T and C's and it's not updated there yet.

59 minutes ago, treehugr said:

I saw this question under the Q&A Section when the Cruise With Confidence  was first announced, but it's not been on their WEB Site the last couple of day. I guess we can only hope they post it to their WEB Site with the new answer. Thanks

1 hour ago, Cruizen Susan said:

Congrats! A reasonable and fair modification to their policy.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruizen Susan said:

Hi Susan, one more question. While the reply back reads like something found in the website FAQ with regards to the book with confidence policy...any chance it's merely a question posed from your TA and answered by Celebrity rep? I only ask because like others, I can't find on the website either.  

From a post on the Royal Caribbean boards posted by Ourusualbeach:

Same terms as Celebrity.  They will be re instated.

What if my client used a Future Cruise Credit to pay for their existing cruise and now wishes to cancel under the Cruise with Confidence terms?

The original Future Cruise Credit will be reinstated with the prior Future Cruise Credit expiration date and amount. Your client will also receive a new Future Cruise Credit based on the amount paid and following the Cruise with Confidence policy terms.

This was on an updated FAQ sheet sent to travel agents

So, it seems they updated travel agents, but not the general public yet. 

Edited by RosieRoo

5 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Thank you for this, and I will venture to say were X to cancel your sailing where a FCC was used, the same policy is in play, since you canceled the sailing or as was originally posted by you, the FCC is null and void and not transferable and considered used.

At this juncture, please let us know if you canceled or if X canceled, this makes a difference to be sure.

bon voyage

This is in Princess's discussion of how the option to cancel works.  Princess is clearly discussing the passenger's cancellation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

And  still some will not be happy if the restored credit has a very short exp date..which is probably why it was used to begin with... but  some progress  for most!

For me, it would mean my FCC would be worthless anyways, as it had an expiry date of July 2020 (I think)? Not all of us have unlimited funds or unlimited vacation time. With two FCC’s in play, that means they have to be used on two cruises.

5 hours ago, hcat said:

And  still some will not be happy if the restored credit has a very short exp date..which is probably why it was used to begin with... but  some progress  for most!

Latest FAQs say that if the restored “old” FCC would have expired before 10/31/2020, an extension will be granted until that date.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1

WOW.  Celebrity did have in their fine print, that they could change or withdraw the offer at any time, at least when I read the fine print and cancelled on Sunday.  After reading several entries that Celebrity changed the policy sometime today ... I reviewed the high level policy statement on their website. Apparently today it was changed from "you will get 100% of your cancellation Penalty as a Future Cruise Credit" to 

Cancel at any time up to 48 hours before your sailing, for sailings departing up until 7/31/2020, and you’ll receive a Future Cruise Credit.

• Thanks 1

Glad we cancelled before the change. Getting 50 % fcc and 50% back on credit card plus tax and fees.  We will be relieved  to see it hit the card!

Several threads  going now that are focused on cancellation program,,,,maybe a good time  for mods to consolidate them

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Glad we cancelled before the change. Getting 50 % fcc and 50% back on credit card plus tax and fees.  We will be relieved  to see it hit the card!

Several threads  going now that are focused on cancellation program,,,,maybe a good time  for mods to consolidate them

I am happier now too. My wife pointed out the line in the fine print that said the offer Friday could be withdrawn or changed at any time. We decided not to gamble that the cruise would be cancelled. We cancelled 5 cruises. $ 11,000 went to CC. If we cancelled today only port fees/taxes would have gone as I understand it to CC. What a difference. Glad I did not gamble that the cruises would be cancelled. Glad I spent 6 hours on and off.... waiting to get real person at Costco Travel.... as they were having many phone issues. Once you got a real person, they stay with you until everything is confirmed. 

MSC just announced their 48 hour cancel policy yesterday which had a 100% future travel credit. I imagine that Royal Corp. saw that and decided they could make their policy less friendly since other cruise lines were doing that.

On 3/9/2020 at 2:40 PM, teltrainer said:

Hi Susan!  so sorry for the FCC situation.  I agree that is not right. 

We just cancelled our April 13th Reflection. First time we will be using FCC for new booking.  My guess is that the cruise fares for future cruises will be going up even more in the coming days so they can recoup other losses.

We are likely to cancel the same cruise.  I checked prices for  April, 2021, same itinerary, same cabin.  $15,200 compared to $4200. We have Delta FC tickets which we scored on a great deal using $400 in credits from Delta for a screw up last June, plus dividend miles redeemed.  Delta has announced they will waive re booking fees but I wonder how the price will be determined.  The value of the tickets we bought in January were $850; we paid $350.  Now the same flight itinerary is $900.  Will they just charge us an extra $50 or $550?  Same thing with travel insurance.  We paid $450.  Is TravelGuard likely to let us transfer this credit to another cruise in 2021, plus any higher charges to be protected? 

I did find information on Travel Guard's website related to Covid 19.  Premium paid can be used as future premium credit subject to the following:

1) the cancelled trip must have been scheduled for no later than 4/30/20

2) the new trip must be booked by 9/30/20, however departure can occur after 9/30/20

3) if the new trip premium is less than the original premium, no amount will be refunded. If the new premium is greater, there will be additional premium charged.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, twentyknots said:

I did find information on Travel Guard's website related to Covid 19.  Premium paid can be used as future premium credit subject to the following:

1) the cancelled trip must have been scheduled for no later than 4/30/20

2) the new trip must be booked by 9/30/20, however departure can occur after 9/30/20

3) if the new trip premium is less than the original premium, no amount will be refunded. If the new premium is greater, there will be additional premium charged.

Hi,  Just came here to post what I found regarding my Travel Insured policy.  I didn't go into the detailed FAQs but when logged in saw that i could change the dates (edit) and enter new cruise dates.  As you said, no refund if less but added premium if higher. 

Glad you asked that question since it spurred me to check too!  Thanks