Cancel with insurance

karinski

Every policy is different so the only way to know (for sure) is to read yours carefully.   There are a number of threads on this board - concensus is that unless you paid the premium for CFAR insurance (cancel for any reason) , you are not likely to be successful.   

Insurance will pay for any costs you incur as result of the cancellation. With Peace of Mind, NCL is giving you a 100% credit, so you have no loss (no lost money, no penalty), so there is no basis for claim. The insurance company will pay for the penalty which is $0. The insurance companies across the cruise industry are doing a happy dance. 

Edited by BirdTravels

24 minutes ago, karinski said:

Hi.

Im wondering if insurance would pay if you cancel prior? With a dr note possibly?

Call your insurance company and ask.  That's the only way to know for sure.

Do you have CFAR? If not, the answer is probably no. 

My insurance will only offer a full refund if someone is actually sick, not afraid of travel. I am one of those people with an underlying health condition (MS), so I could probably get a note from my doctor saying I shouldn’t cruise, but that doesn’t meet the “cancel for medical reasons” criteria of my policy. 

I can get a 75% refund because I have the CFAR provision and bought the policy before January 21, the day the Coronavirus became a named event.  My understanding is that if I cancel and accept the FCC from NCL, there is no “loss” and the insurance won’t pay.  I need to explore whether I can cancel, not accept the FCC, and get the 75% refund from my insurance.  

I have a lot of reservations about the FCC given the restrictions on our travel schedule (can only travel during school breaks)  and NCL’s probable cash-flow situation.  I just don’t think we are going to be able to book the same cruise for the same price. 

And there is always the possibility that cruises could get outright cancelled if the CDC or State Department orders it, possibly combined with some sort of bailout for the cruise lines. 

4 hours ago, karinski said:

Hi.

Im wondering if insurance would pay if you cancel prior? With a dr note possibly?

Insurance pays for cancellations based on covered reasons. Fear of getting sick is generally not a covered reason. A physicans note saying you are ill and unable to travel might work, however with the new NCL  policy you are not going to be out any cash and insurance will probably not cover any cancellation.

It isn’t me that wants to cancel. A friend has been getting some bad information from someone he claims has FBI credentials. They told him that if there are any issues he won’t be allowed back into the country!! Lol! I told him it was nonsense and his information is wrong! Didn’t seem to believe me. So he said he Had insurance. I explained the policy and the NCL policy and he was quite angry. I am a TA, just wanted to get some opinions.

thank you!

1 minute ago, karinski said:

It isn’t me that wants to cancel. A friend has been getting some bad information from someone he claims has FBI credentials. They told him that if there are any issues he won’t be allowed back into the country!! Lol! I told him it was nonsense and his information is wrong! Didn’t seem to believe me. So he said he Had insurance. I explained the policy and the NCL policy and he was quite angry. I am a TA, just wanted to get some opinions.

thank you!

The best advice for your friend is to call his insurance company, explain why his doctor says he can’t go and ask what documentation is required in order to have a valid claim - or if there even is a valid claim.

7 hours ago, CarolinaMamma said:

Do you have CFAR? If not, the answer is probably no. 

My insurance will only offer a full refund if someone is actually sick, not afraid of travel. I am one of those people with an underlying health condition (MS), so I could probably get a note from my doctor saying I shouldn’t cruise, but that doesn’t meet the “cancel for medical reasons” criteria of my policy. 

I can get a 75% refund because I have the CFAR provision and bought the policy before January 21, the day the Coronavirus became a named event.  My understanding is that if I cancel and accept the FCC from NCL, there is no “loss” and the insurance won’t pay.  I need to explore whether I can cancel, not accept the FCC, and get the 75% refund from my insurance.  

I have a lot of reservations about the FCC given the restrictions on our travel schedule (can only travel during school breaks)  and NCL’s probable cash-flow situation.  I just don’t think we are going to be able to book the same cruise for the same price. 

And there is always the possibility that cruises could get outright cancelled if the CDC or State Department orders it, possibly combined with some sort of bailout for the cruise lines. 

The reason the cruise lines are offering the FCC is to keep your cash. They want all of your cash,,,, taxes, port fees, grats, shore excursions, prepays, upgrades (which would be refunded with a normal cancellation). The want you to have fcc. The jack the prices to get more of your cash. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

The reason the cruise lines are offering the FCC is to keep your cash. They want all of your cash,,,, taxes, port fees, grats, shore excursions, prepays, upgrades (which would be refunded with a normal cancellation). The want you to have fcc. The jack the prices to get more of your cash. 

Yes, for sure. I get that. What I don’t understand, and I guess u need to call the travel u durable company about this. Is can I cancel, not take the FCC,  and get the 75%? I did not but my travel insurance through NCL, so they would not be out any money, but I’m guessing I can’t turn down the FCC and collect from the insurance. 

Still not even sure u want to cancel. Will see what the CDC says over the next couple of weeks. 

Similar question to the prior post.

Can you cancel right before the 48hr deadline without receiving a FCC and submit a valid medical claim unrelated to the virus to insurance that's not with NCL? TIA

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Similar question to the prior post.

Can you cancel right before the 48hr deadline without receiving a FCC and submit a valid medical claim unrelated to the virus to insurance that's not with NCL? TIA

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I think I found my answer in the faq's from the Peace of Mind policy.[emoji848] Sounds like a FCC is an option and NCL confirmed when I called.[emoji6]

"Those interested in canceling and opting for a FCC should call Norwegian Cruise Line beginning March 11, 2020 at 1-800-327-7030 (U.S. and Canada)."

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

On 3/9/2020 at 2:14 PM, BirdTravels said:

Insurance will pay for any costs you incur as result of the cancellation. With Peace of Mind, NCL is giving you a 100% credit, so you have no loss (no lost money, no penalty), so there is no basis for claim. The insurance company will pay for the penalty which is $0. The insurance companies across the cruise industry are doing a happy dance. 

You can choose to not take the NCL voucher, in which case there would be a claim. I confirmed this with NCL yesterday for my father in law, who has to cancel due to work reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We cancelled due to job restrictions 

75% refund.. I did not  want FCC.. and they have record of a PCC promising 75% on Thursday at 455pm before the new policy started.

Insurance claim for other 25%.

Do not mention Corona at all, ever, when calling  the insurance company. Do not joke about it. Do not allude to it.  Nothing. Unless it's a CFAR, they will deny your claim if they think its corona related at all.

Edited by babydaryl24
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 3:28 PM, erdoran said:

Call your insurance company and ask.  That's the only way to know for sure.

You are correct. Was sailing this Friday, 13 March but cxl’d today. Called insurance company today and they said can only get refund if cancelled within 14 days. I booked in dec 2019. I explained that we were rebooking with a future cruise unknown date. They then said because of the circumstances they would put my policy on hold till I booked my next trip. You never know till you talk to them.  Won’t mention company name but it starts with an N and they sure were on my side. 

I often help an elderly couple with their trip plans to help them out. They are due to cruise on 3/29 and purchased the NCL standard trip insurance. They are going to cancel this cruise because the gentleman's doctor advised they not travel with his compromised immune system. He is currently being treated with complications from cancer very recently (Past 6 months). I feel they are better off making a claim to be refunded under their travel insurance so they don't have to be bothered with a FCC and can just receive their reimbursement in the mail to do with whatever they wish. Am I correct in my thinking? I'd love feedback as the gentleman has a doctor appointment in 2 days to discuss a medical treatment he needs done.

23 minutes ago, kiminey65 said:

I often help an elderly couple with their trip plans to help them out. They are due to cruise on 3/29 and purchased the NCL standard trip insurance. They are going to cancel this cruise because the gentleman's doctor advised they not travel with his compromised immune system. He is currently being treated with complications from cancer very recently (Past 6 months). I feel they are better off making a claim to be refunded under their travel insurance so they don't have to be bothered with a FCC and can just receive their reimbursement in the mail to do with whatever they wish. Am I correct in my thinking? I'd love feedback as the gentleman has a doctor appointment in 2 days to discuss a medical treatment he needs done.

So, if they have NCL insurance and the NCL insurance company does not accept your claim (e.g., afraid of COVID-19 or pre-existing condition) the NCL insurance will pay $0. 

NCL will give you a 75% FCC for the penalty.

So, while you get small cash refund for taxes etc., you are gambling the cruise fare on whether the insurance company will accept your reason for cancelling. If successful, you get 100% cash. If not successful, you will get a 75% FCC. 

You need to make sure the elderly couple has a letter from the doctor not mentioning coronavirus issues..... Make sure that the letter states that they are too  frail, too sick, unable to handle being at sea that long... or has medications that are erratic so travel would be bad.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

So, if they have NCL insurance and the NCL insurance company does not accept your claim (e.g., afraid of COVID-19 or pre-existing condition) the NCL insurance will pay $0. 

NCL will give you a 75% FCC for the penalty.

So, while you get small cash refund for taxes etc., you are gambling the cruise fare on whether the insurance company will accept your reason for cancelling. If successful, you get 100% cash. If not successful, you will get a 75% FCC. 

Bird, what’s this about 75% FCC, I thought it was 100%?

@kiminey65 before the doctor’s appt they should call their insurance company and ASK  about this type of scenario and under what circumstances they would be covered, and what documentation would be needed to have their claim approved.  And do they have the pre-existing waiver?  Sounds like they might.

1 minute ago, erdoran said:

Bird, what’s this about 75% FCC, I thought it was 100%?

@kiminey65 before the doctor’s appt they should call their insurance company and ASK  about this type of scenario and under what circumstances they would be covered, and what documentation would be needed to have their claim approved.  And do they have the pre-existing waiver?  Sounds like they might.

I would absolutely NOT call the insurance and ask these questions.

I would research the terms  of the policy which will explicitly line out what is and isn't covered........... I would just read the policy. It will have examples of what is covered and what isn't.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kiminey65 said:

Trip insurance covers people who ARE too sick to travel. Not people who need to not get sick. If you take all the coronavirus stuff away, are they too sick to travel? Or are they simply too sick to risk getting the coronavirus. I don't think any insurance company will cover someone who is in a situation where they simply don't want to risk catching a virus. But, if they have had news issues come up since they booked and are simply too sick to travel (in a pre-coronavirus world) they stand a good chance. But that is how the doctor would have to write it up. Due to their cancer treatment complications he is unfit to travel. Not due to his compromised immune system he's too sick to be exposed to a virus.

1 hour ago, AK Dreaming said:

So if NCL is forced to cancel a cruise, for instance they cannot sail out of Italy, then they would have to refund us everything in full correct?  But if you already cancelled, then you have FCC and will not get any money back.  

Yes, If that was your situation I would wait until as close to the 48 hour mark to cancel as possible.