FYI. Not all Security staff are well informed.

beachbum53

We just got back from our cruise on the Magic. I had packed a brand new, non-surge protected power strip in my suitcase. It was confiscated. When I asked "why?", the security person I talked to said they were banned. His response was "It's in the cruise contract. They're not allowed." I told him the only power strips not allowed are those that have a surge protector. He said he'd have a power strip delivered to our cabin that we could use, and that I would get mine back at the end of the cruise, on Debarkation morning. Care to guess what I was given? A power strip WITH a surge protector! 😲 The type that is supposedly banned. I just shook my head, but used it anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, shof515 said:

ideally, these things is better packed in your carry on bag instead of checked suitcase

Normally, I do pack our power strip in my carry on,  and have never had a problem. This time, for some reason, I packed it in my checked bag. Lesson learned, stick to packing it in my carry on. 😉

I have always put my power strip in my carryon and never had a problem.  As far as you getting a power strip with a surge protector from CCL - that is pretty funny!  Left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing!

I brought a plug in unit without surge protection that had 3 outlets and 2 USB ports.  By the second day i realized our steward was unplugging it every time she came in the room to clean.  On Day 3 she left a power strip, with a HUGE (8' long) cord attached WITH a surge protector with a note to use that instead of the the compliant unit I brought.

I don't think anyone on-board other than the Engineering Department, have a clue about what is required and why.

Edited by K&RCurt
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

I don't think anyone on-board other than the Engineering Department, have a clue about what is required and why.

I agree, but why would they provide a supply of the wrong kind for staff to give out? Are they confiscating them and using them if they are not reclaimed?? Haha

18 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

When I asked "why?", the security person I talked to said they were banned.

He said he'd have a power strip delivered to our cabin that we could use

I would’ve said, if they’re banned, then why do you have some to loan to passengers? 🤨

First, let's clear up some things.  When the two posters say they were given a power strip with a surge protector, could you explain how you determined it was surge protected?  Just because it has a lighted on/off switch, does not mean it is surge protected, that is only a circuit breaker to limit current.  Did you find any other clue that the device was surge protected?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

First, let's clear up some things.  When the two posters say they were given a power strip with a surge protector, could you explain how you determined it was surge protected?  Just because it has a lighted on/off switch, does not mean it is surge protected, that is only a circuit breaker to limit current.  Did you find any other clue that the device was surge protected?

Here are two pictures I took of the power strip that was loaned to us by the Security Dept.  In the closeup, you can clearly see the words "Surge Protection" .IMG_0410.thumb.JPG.3ead5ca671163fe38d08e171f1ceb088.JPGIMG_0409.thumb.JPG.aac526b5245ba54be7c7bdf9082943f1.JPG

You may be right, but I tend to discount much of what is labeled as "surge protection".  I've researched a lot of devices for folks here on CC, and many products that claim to be surge protected only use that term because it is "sexy" in sales, while in fact they are "voltage regulated", which is a whole different kettle of fish.  Unless the device has a "VPR" (voltage protection rating) molded into the case, it isn't surge protected.  I'd be surprised that any engineering department would allow these on the ship, if they were surge protected.

• Like 3

The one I was given had the term "surge protector" as well as a reset button in addition to the on/off switch.

I did't bother to take a photo.

I though it odd that my clearly NOT surge protective plug was deemed not OK.  

30 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

The one I was given had the term "surge protector" as well as a reset button in addition to the on/off switch.

I did't bother to take a photo.

I though it odd that my clearly NOT surge protective plug was deemed not OK.  

A reset button has nothing to do with surge protection, the surge protection circuit cannot be "reset", it operates automatically when the voltage rises too high.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed security is not well trained in other areas. In Mobile there was a security person at the entrance. She asked for our ID so I showed her our passports and she said that would not work and demand to see our driver's license . I thought about educating her and telling her a passport if the only ID we needed  but some people you cannot educate so I put the DL out and went on.