Canadians - what are you doing now that we're being advised not to cruise

Everybody's comfort level is different but at this point, we still plan to cruise on our Celebrity Transatlantic in April and our Baltic cruise in May.  We are waiting another month or so to make our final decision but leaning towards going ahead unless most of our ports of call are canceled.  Life is for living!

15 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Did you see the one with the Canadian reporter who went to Northern Italy last week to cover the virus and wasn't even questioned when she returned.

No I missed that one. I saw one with a reporter last week at yvr Interviewing folks  from Iran. While other governments were issuing  warnings and advisories the Canadian government was issuing warnings against racial profiling.  Canada is two weeks away from being Italy. More than likely Canadians will be barred from the the US before Canada does anything substantive. Then Skippy can blame big bad mean Donald Trump.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JillK said:

My husband, four kids and my parents (68 & 73) were due to sail on the Anthem this coming Sunday and after a lot of consideration, we decided late last night to cancel. 

We did not make this decision lightly as we booked mid-2018 and the kids especially have been very much looking forward to it. Although my parents were in a balcony cabin, given their ages, they are in the more at-risk group. My family of 6 was in two connecting inside cabins. I cannot even fathom being quarantined on board with no access to daylight or fresh air. 

Although I do believe that this situation globally is very serious, and that we in North America are going to see more cases before things turn a corner, I also believe the media is creating a lot of fear. What turned the tide in our thinking was Canada's Chief Medical saying yesterday that although on the weekend they had urged Canadians to think twice about a cruise vacation, they were now say to avoid all cruise travel. That in and of itself is a remarkable statement.

Some people on our cruise's FB page report that their employers have said they would have to self-quarantine for two weeks once back if they elected to go. Similarly, I can see the border agents when trying to enter the country re-directing us to quarantine at CFB Trenton if there is any concern about an outbreak on the ship. All it would take is for one passenger on board to display any flu-like symptoms to have the spectre of a scare.

I realize that is very doomsday but as we weighed the pros/cons, for a 7 day cruise to Port Canaveral and the Bahamas compared to the worst-case scenario it wasn't worth pursuing.

I don't feel this situation is in any way a reflection on the cruise industry and once this outbreak is contained and the numbers start dropping, I have no problem resuming cruising. 

The best news of all - I am now able to start planning a new cruise with the FCC and at this point the few replacements I've priced are much higher than my credit so RCI will be getting more money out of me.

For all of you who are continuing on with your plans, enjoy! 

That's a tough call, I feel for you. My family did the Anthem on the February 15th sailing for reading week university and that was a nerve wracking experience as the Anthem was delayed the week before with a Coronavirus scare. If we could have cancelled without penalty we probably would have but the situation was different then with no Coronavirus cases documented yet in the USA. I would have lost money on the flights from Toronto with Porter and the cruise itself but thankfully the cruise went off without a hitch, had a great time and came back home safe and virus free. But with the situation being this fluid I would not go right now, if I could have had a chance to cancel without penalty I would. I would have lost on the airfare but that's a small price to pay for peace of mind. Looking forward to cruising again when this blows over!

• Like 1

I was also supposed to be on the Anthem Martch 15 -- if I didn;t have to worry about being quarantined, I'd go. Why not?

But the fear in the news has spread too  much for be to bother with it...

Quite upset 

• Like 1

I was supposed to be on Anthem on Sunday. Given the announcement last night, I called my travel insurance company and was informed that since the announcement is a formal travel advisory for cruise ships, that my travel medical insurance would not be honoured. With that information, I had to cancel. That is just too risky, whether it be the virus or any other medical issue that may arise out of country.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, finnegan5 said:

I was supposed to be on Anthem on Sunday. Given the announcement last night, I called my travel insurance company and was informed that since the announcement is a formal travel advisory for cruise ships, that my travel medical insurance would not be honoured. With that information, I had to cancel. That is just too risky, whether it be the virus or any other medical issue that may arise out of country.

Aside from being quarantined for 14 days this was my next worry.

Just now, #55worktoplay said:

Aside from being quarantined for 14 days this was my next worry.

For me my concerns were finding a backup plan for someone to watch my dogs for 14 days and if my travel medical insurance would still be valid. I managed to be successful at 50% of my concerns - but no medical insurance could have long standing ramifications should anything happen.

20 hours ago, archer_310 said:

We're scheduled to leave on the AoS this Saturday (March 14th).  Like the US, the government is suggesting that we don't cruise.  I'm fine with going, but the wife is unsure and another family that we know was going has decided not to.  My biggest concern is being allowed back into Canada at the border without them saying that we need to go into a 14-day quarantine because we were "outside" North America.  Just wondering what other Canadians are doing with cruises upcoming in the next few days for March Break.

Our group is pondering the same questions.  We are continuing with our travel plans, although two of our 21 people cancelled yesterday.  By the way, which AoS are you on (there are several - Allure, Adventure, Anthem).  We are on the Adventure this Saturday.

20 hours ago, archer_310 said:

My wife's a teacher.  I don't know if she'd get paid if we had to do quarantine because "officially" Canadians have been told not to cruise. 

I am a teacher and called my local union today since each board's collective agreement is slightly different.  I was informed that we are 100% covered if we are quarantined.  Not only that, it counts as a short term leave of absence at 100% pay and does not use up any of our 11 sick days.  If teachers are out striking during a quarantine, there is the potential that a teacher would get paid MORE since they are not striking but on a paid leave of absence. Idiot Premier...

7 hours ago, BeachChik said:

I find it amusing that cruises are being singled out as if shutting down would make any difference. 

Magic Kingdom at Disney has 50,000 -60,000 + people per day there. People in very close contact, more so than a cruise, and touching everything. Yet no calls to shut down theme parks. 🧐

I have commented the exact same point over and over.  Pick on the cruise lines, but not a mention of closing the most magical kingdom on earth where NOTHING is wiped down, like the handles on the rides or the food counters.

7 hours ago, dssking said:

Sorry about your luck.  However, Canadians were not "TOLD" not to cruise.  It has been suggested..... 

We have not been TOLD not to cruise.  It was RECOMMENDED.

5 hours ago, The Sunset Glow said:

Exactly. Then there's public transportation (busses, subway, etc) - in Toronto alone the TTC has a ridership of 1.69 million per day! But cruising is bad🤨

Public transit should be the first thing shut down if they want to contain this.  All those people in closer quarters than a cruise ship, holding handrails and seats, never cleaned. Yuck!

3 hours ago, Magicat said:

From what my teacher friend says, after your wife exhausts her 11 sick days at 100%, she can then tap into the 180 some days she has at 85%.  If she didn't get paid I'm sure her union would have a field day with this.

See my point above.  It will depend on the language in the contract.  If it is like my contract, which it likely is, then you do not have to use any of the 11 sick days at all, nor short term disability days.  It is considered a leave of absence with 100% salary paid.  You are right that unions would have a field day with this one if the language of the contract was not followed..

11 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

I am a teacher and called my local union today since each board's collective agreement is slightly different.  I was informed that we are 100% covered if we are quarantined.  Not only that, it counts as a short term leave of absence at 100% pay and does not use up any of our 11 sick days.  If teachers are out striking during a quarantine, there is the potential that a teacher would get paid MORE since they are not striking but on a paid leave of absence. Idiot Premier...

See my point above.  It will depend on the language in the contract.  If it is like my contract, which it likely is, then you do not have to use any of the 11 sick days at all, nor short term disability days.  It is considered a leave of absence with 100% salary paid.  You are right that unions would have a field day with this one if the language of the contract was not followed..

How many days could a leave of absence be?

There are 1-5 bereavement days, 2 religious holidays, 1 moving day, 2 personal days and 2 days to care for a recovering family member. Do teachers have any vacation days they could use?

Here in Ottawa, Short term disability is 90% salary for 100-120 days.

On strike days, the public board only pays employees who are on sick leave. It does not pay if you are on vacation, special leave or compassionate leave.

If they shut down public transportation, might as well close the city.

Fear is driving this thing. I can just seeing crossing the border:

Officer: where are you going?

Cruiser: on a cruise ...

Officer: sorry we won't allow you to enter the USA

Cruiser: school

Edited by xcell

Just now, gnr25 said:

How many days could a leave of absence be?

There are 1-5 bereavement days, 2 religious holidays, 1 moving day, 2 personal days and 2 days to care for a recovering family member. Do teachers have any vacation days they could use?

Here in Ottawa, Short term disability is 90% salary for 100-120 days.

On strike days, the public board only pays employees who are on sick leave. It does not pay if you are on vacation, special leave or compassionate leave.

My understanding is that the length of the leave of absence would depend on the situation.  14 day quarantine means a 14 day leave, etc.

Teachers do not get any vacation days.  We have a lot of non-teaching days (summers, Christmas, March Break week), so we are not given any optional or floating vacation days.  That is why teachers all travel at those weeks when prices are sky high and promos like kids sail free are never offered.  A lot of the public think teachers have 12 weeks of vacation per year.  We do have 12 weeks "off" from teaching students, but many are doing marking, writing report cards, setting up classrooms, doing lesson planning during some of those 12 weeks we are not teaching.

Interesting to hear what they do there in Ottawa.  Each board would be unique according to their contracts.  I am sure that a lot of situations will arise over the next few months with contracts, insurance policies, etc. that have never been tested before.  I called our insurance company several times to ask about coverage which we already have for traveling outside of the country.  Each time I was on hold for 20 minutes before they hung up on me.

7 minutes ago, xcell said:

If they shut down public transportation, might as well close the city.

Fear is driving this thing. I can just seeing crossing the border:

Officer: where are you going?

Cruiser: on a cruise ...

Officer: sorry we won't allow you to enter the USA

Cruiser: school

Thanks for the opinion.  I will be sure to tell the officer I am flying to Florida for the March break and say no more than that.

I agree with your comment about shutting down public transit.  Fear is driving this thing.  Why else would people be fighting over toilet paper at big box stores and buying enough for a year.  Insane response to a problem.  If they close down the borders totally, then the manufacturing and auto industry grinds to a halt too.  People need to be rational.

I am pretty sure they issued the cruise warning specifically to avoid having to do another repatriation trip like they did this week. 

If you end up in that situation you will be in whatever situation the ship is placed in with the Govt. not having to come get you. 

If you are good with waiting out whatever situation the ship might end up in and then getting yourself home however you need to then you are fine. 

If an outbreak of COVID-19 occurs on your cruise ship:

• you could be subject to quarantine procedures, on-board ship or in a foreign country
  • the range of consular services available to those on cruise ships, in particular in situations of quarantine, may be significantly restricted by local authorities
  • upon return to Canada, you will be required to remain in mandatory isolation for 14 days at a location determined by the Chief Public Health Officer as per the terms of any applicable emergency orders

Canadians who choose to voyage on a cruise ship should also be aware that they may not be offered the opportunity to return to Canada on a government-organized repatriation flight, or could be responsible for the costs of repatriation travel.

As long as your insurance was paying some or all the cost, the U.S. would probably release you.

When you returned to Canada, you may face additional quarantine somewhere since it would have become known that you were in an outbreak hotspot. It could be at a base or in your home municipality.

Of course, who knows what Canada and the U.S. by then.

5 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

Our group is pondering the same questions.  We are continuing with our travel plans, although two of our 21 people cancelled yesterday.  By the way, which AoS are you on (there are several - Allure, Adventure, Anthem).  We are on the Adventure this Saturday.

We are on the Adventure leaving Saturday.  I think we are going to take the chance and go, but still not 100% sure.  We need to decide by Wednesday as we're flying out of Albany on Thursday.

13 hours ago, Chemical_echo said:

..........I am going to purchase trip cancellation insurance today for the cost of the flights and hotels though in the event Alaska decides to follow Hawaii and shut their ports to cruises or the White House shuts down cruises. 

Hawaii hasn't shut down their borders yet. "Hawaii Lt. Gov. Josh Green and state Rep. Gene Ward are ASKING for a 60-day ship stoppage."

12 hours ago, finnegan5 said:

This was also a big deal for us and further informed our thinking in cancelling. I'm honestly not concerned about catching the coronavirus in particular. But I know that things happen and hubby, myself or one of my four kids could get sick or be injured and require some kind of medical assistance while we are away. You just never know. Given that our policies wouldn't be honoured and the enormous cost of medical care in the US/out of country, it's another tick in the risk column. 

My mother once ended up in a Florida hospital for three days with a stomach infection while on vacation. She was so grateful to have full coverage through her insurance as her bill was astronomical (if I recall correctly in the $50,000 USD range). 

But again, to all of you who are still carrying on with your near-term cruises, I wish you all an awesome time. No doubt you will benefit from the ships not being at or near capacity. Can't even fathom a cruise without chair hogs!

12 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

I believe we are in the same board.  Also, I'm pretty sure you are the A.T. guy for my school (Lambeth) AND you go to the same church (or were at the Superbowl night!!)

Anyway, who did you speak with at ETFO regarding potential quarantine?  Did they send you anything in writing?  If they did, do you mind forwarding it to me.  On outlook I'm TV40959 (easiest was as to not have to put in an email address)

Thanks

Lisa