RCI has better refund for COVID-19 than NCL!!

big al

What I like more about Royal is that you have more time to book (December 31, 2021) and but less time to sail (December 31, 2021). With NCL, you get an extra year to sail, but have to book the sailing within one year of cancelling your existing cruise. I have no idea if I will be ready to book again within one year. As a last minute cruiser, I'm sure you can understand why I prefer the longer booking window.

17 hours ago, big al said:

A friend of mine just had to cancel their RCI Harmony Of The Seas cruise because they are a high risk couple ( 70's, hypertension, diabetes, etc..)..RCI offered them a 50% cash refund PLUS the other 50% towards another cruise..much better than NCL only offering a cruise credit ONLY...maybe they will see this and think twice...

If this matters than maybe you should cruise RCCL, instead of NCL.  I cannot comprehend why people are comparing what one lines does to what another one does. That is like comparing JCPennys refund policy to Sears refund policy. If you don't like one and it matters to you then shop at the other store.

• Like 3

Does anyone know the "rules" for the future cruise credit (FCC) for cancelling?  Specifically, when you book your future cruise, does it have to be for the same passengers?   For example, I am booked (paid in full) on a May cruise with my elderly mother.  My mother may not be in a health enough condition to cruise in the future.  Would I be able to substitute a different passenger and use the FCC?

Since I have time, I don't want to clog the NCL phone lines.  I thought someone might have experience with this situation.

Thanks!

42 minutes ago, zqvol said:

If this matters than maybe you should cruise RCCL, instead of NCL.  I cannot comprehend why people are comparing what one lines does to what another one does. That is like comparing JCPennys refund policy to Sears refund policy. If you don't like one and it matters to you then shop at the other store.

Isn't that exactly why people are comparing them?  You can't know that you prefer JCPenny's policy to Sears's policy unless you compare them first.

• Like 1

I also thought the FCC from NCL was a generous offer - until I tried to book a future comparable cruise.  The prices are running 2-3 times higher into 2021.     Make sure you go all the way through the booking process to the room selection to see the actual price (you can't trust what is on the first page).   As an example from yesterday - rebooking a transatlantic cruise (and I am being flexible as far as fall, spring, itinerary and port of departure Europe or US) will cost me about $4,000 per person for a balcony I was able to book for $1800 on the cruise I am scheduled for in April.   

Cruise credit isn't worth much with these types of mark-ups.

• Like 1

Just now, Cb2534 said:

I also thought the FCC from NCL was a generous offer - until I tried to book a future comparable cruise.  The prices are running 2-3 times higher into 2021.     Make sure you go all the way through the booking process to the room selection to see the actual price (you can't trust what is on the first page).   As an example from yesterday - rebooking a transatlantic cruise (and I am being flexible as far as fall, spring, itinerary and port of departure Europe or US) will cost me about $4,000 per person for a balcony I was able to book for $1800 on the cruise I am scheduled for in April.   

I don't think these mark-ups will last for long. Right now they are trying to mitigate the risk of people taking advantage of the cancellation policy to just try to snag a better deal. Once the initial flurry of cancellations is over, the prices will have to go back to a range the market can bear. They don't want to scare off new, cash-paying customers with crazy high prices just to discourage the people with FCC from booking forever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

What's to comprehend? This is a forum for discussing the cruise industry and relevant issues pertaining to it. Seems pretty obvious and clear to me that this discussion would be expected and normal. No different than comparing stock prices, food, entertainment offerings, etc. Rather than sailing another line, you can always purchase travel insurance to insure against perceived shortcomings of one cruise line vs another.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I don't think these mark-ups will last for long. Right now they are trying to mitigate the risk of people taking advantage of the cancellation policy to just try to snag a better deal. Once the initial flurry of cancellations is over, the prices will have to go back to a range the market can bear. They don't want to scare off new, cash-paying customers with crazy high prices just to discourage the people with FCC from booking forever.

This exactly.  The number of people cancelling cruises for FCC will be dwarfed by the number of people who don't have FCC and are booking cruises.  The idea that any cruise line will double prices long term so that a relative handful of people won't be able to use FCC is not likely, to say the least.

1 hour ago, Cb2534 said:

$4k? I don't see it? This includes all free options?

image.thumb.png.49e95b791f6f7d6a932848e0810bb115.png

image.png

2 hours ago, zqvol said:

I am DIAMOND on RCI, and have 7 NCL cruises to date.....variety is the spice of life...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blcruising said:

What's to comprehend? This is a forum for discussing the cruise industry and relevant issues pertaining to it. Seems pretty obvious and clear to me that this discussion would be expected and normal. No different than comparing stock prices, food, entertainment offerings, etc. Rather than sailing another line, you can always purchase travel insurance to insure against perceived shortcomings of one cruise line vs another.

Thanks..good points...

3 hours ago, zqvol said:

Literally the very definition of a direct and valid comparison of two companies within the same industry seeking the business of the exact same customer base.  

23 hours ago, big al said:

maybe they will see this and think twice...

With stock prices at an long-time low ($16.02), I doubt it.  Seems like they are going to need all the cash they can keep their hands on as this point.  RCI is at $43.3 and I don't think it will be long before they stop with the 50% cash back...

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

21 hours ago, big al said:

You are welcome..and I agree on your point about posters- this is why I have dropped my  posting a lot the last 2-3 years....

Ditto....Been off here for about 5 years for the same reason. Only to come back and find the snark has multiplied 10 fold.

16 hours ago, TonyFred said:

So you still have to pay 50% for the next cruise. And they give you 50% back. Hmmmm. Doesnt seem like a big deal to me. Like someone else said 100% is 100%.

I think the big deal might be that NCLH could be facing Chapter 11 which means the FCC has no value.  With the 50% cash back from RCI, at least the customer gets something back in the event that RCI faces similar circumstances.  A week ago I would have said it won't happen.  Things are just too fluid to say anything for certain.  

On 3/11/2020 at 12:05 PM, Lionkingrichard said:

$4k? I don't see it? This includes all free options?

I missed that particular cruise in my search but here is the same cruise I am on now (4/23 departure) but next spring.    Spa balcony category (which I am in now) is now sold out so when I do the math I've added another $400 to this total ($7103 - see detail below) to approximate a close comparison

My cruise credit is worth about .50 cents on the dollar right now if I were to try and re-schedule the same sailing/same room category/same perks next spring.  Keep in mind this is with the "30% off special" running right now for that cruise.   I think/hope speculation that prices will come down to more normal levels is correct.  I am just trying to make the point that people should do their research and possibly wait to cancel to see what happens if they can.  NCL may be forced to cancel these European cruises.    A refund is much better than a cruise credit and much less risky for the consumer.    I do understand that NCL is in a financial crisis of unprecedented proportions so there are going to be no winners here.......................

Pricing Details

Item Guest 1 Guest 2
Cruise Fare
Now
$4,069.00
$2,848.30
$4,069.00
$2,848.30
Govt Taxes,
Fees & Port
Expenses
$321.10 $321.10