Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

43 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

and especially the bloody second homeowners arriving in south Devon today.  I could kill them.

Don't second home owners normally keep the SW economy buzzing?. I must get 20 emails a day from hotels with tempting offers. Perhaps you don't want me anymore😪

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

Tell her to keep safe

unfortunately we don’t talk. Haven’t seen her in a year. She’s ok so far I’ve been told but she’s worried as my niece is also 4. I’m hoping she’s with her dad as he is not a key worker and they aren’t together. 

do still pray they will all be ok

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I absolutely agree Jean, we are going to lose our deposit for our November cruise because there is no way we are throwing more good money at P&O not knowing when or if we will get a cruise, a refund or nothing at all from them.

I have a cruise booked for early July (not P&O), Rome to Venice. Not yet formally cancelled, but final instalment due April. There is no way that I am paying this without a guarantee that I will get 100% refund should the cruise be cancelled. The same goes for all other cruise I have booked including P&O in Jan and May next year. FCC in lieu of a refund is not acceptable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I have a cruise booked for early July (not P&O), Rome to Venice. Not yet formally cancelled, but final instalment due April. There is no way that I am paying this without a guarantee that I will get 100% refund should the cruise be cancelled. The same goes for all other cruise I have booked including P&O in Jan and May next year. FCC in lieu of a refund is not acceptable.

I doubt that you’ll get out of the house by early July. This lock down will go on and on

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

20 minutes ago, kalos said:

A sign in the local shop windows stating only locals will be served should give them the welcome they deserve.😉

This is a local shop for local people. there's nothing for you here.

Did I see Edward and Tubbs behind the counter? 🙂

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Don't second home owners normally keep the SW economy buzzing?. I must get 20 emails a day from hotels with tempting offers. Perhaps you don't want me anymore😪

These are far from NORMAL  times are they not and the Government have said stay in your own home .

Not in second homes ,hotels caravan parks etc .☺️

We do not have the hospital beds down here for a big outbreak, so we need the second home owners to stay in their place of residence.  They go on to Business Rates for their second homes, then they are exempt, so they pay nothing to wards the Council expenses.  It's unbelievable.

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Looks that way, let's hope that the idiots that ignored the advice at the weekend actually take notice now for the sake of the rest of us.

I went out to Tesco 's elderly shoppers hour this morning so fortunately I will not need to go shopping again this week.

Interested to know how they police it?  Did the store only open at 9:00, or had it been open for an hour before then?  Were the shelves full or were there missing items?

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Interested to know how they police it?  Did the store only open at 9:00, or had it been open for an hour before then?  Were the shelves full or were there missing items?

It was open at 7am for NHS workers who had to show their NHS id, they then allowed elderly customers in at 8 am.  I went at 8am and there were not a lot of people there (I can't ever remember there being so few there) but they didn't seem to be checking that anyone's age and there were a few young people.  There were gaps in some of the shelves, there was no pork, very little flour, no paracetamol, no hand sanitiser, no beer apart from 3 boxes of some lager but plenty of wine.

The only things that I wanted but did not get were dried yeast and paracetamol and I did want some pork but we will eat chicken, lamb and beef that we have in the freezer so no big deal for us.  Paracetamol is a slight issue for me because I have a stomach issue and have been told by the consultant to avoid ibuprofen and to take paracetamol if I need painkillers.  People were still buying loo rolls like they were going out of fashion.  There were probably other gaps but I only know about the aisles where I shopped.

Edited by Josy1953

9 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

We do not have the hospital beds down here for a big outbreak, so we need the second home owners to stay in their place of residence.  They go on to Business Rates for their second homes, then they are exempt, so they pay nothing to wards the Council expenses.  It's unbelievable.

Different up here Jean, second homes have had to pay the full Council tax for the last few years. Additionally they also pay an extra 3% purchase tax on second homes (we have sooooo many more taxes up here, you think of something and we tax it). 

The package of taxes has apparently reduced second home ownership by almost half in the last 6 years. That in turn has helped with pricing so the locals in pretty places have a better chance of purchasing which was the point of it all.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Denarius said:

We are in the same position (July cruise, balance due in April) and I 100% agree with this. I've written to my TA to try get some assurance but doubt I'll get it. If there's no reply I'll follow up with a call (conscious that I will probably be on hold waiting for an operator). FCC in lieu of a cash refund just will not work for us.

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

It was open at 7am for NHS workers who had to show their NHS id, they then allowed elderly customers in at 8 am.  I went at 8am and there were not a lot of people there (I can't ever remember there being so few there) but they didn't seem to be checking that anyone's age and there were a few young people.  There were gaps in some of the shelves, there was no pork, very little flour, no paracetamol, no hand sanitiser, no beer apart from 3 boxes of some lager but plenty of wine.

The only things that I wanted but did not get were dried yeast and paracetamol and I did want some pork but we will eat chicken, lamb and beef that we have in the freezer so no big deal for us.  Paracetamol is a slight issue for me because I have a stomach issue and have been told by the consultant to avoid ibuprofen and to take paracetamol if I need painkillers.  People were still buying loo rolls like they were going out of fashion.  There were probably other gaps but I only know about the aisles where I shopped.

Have you tried contacting your GP about paracetamol. If it's been recommended by your consultant it will be on your records.  It's worth try.

Avril 

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Have you tried contacting your GP about paracetamol. If it's been recommended by your consultant it will be on your records.  It's worth try.

Avril 

Never thought of that I will ring this pm.  Thank you.

We decided yesterday to transfer our 27th June cruise to June next year. Was on hold for 45 minutes but once through it was very easy to transfer. The lady on the phone couldn’t have been more helpful. We upgraded from a balcony cabin to a deluxe balcony, only had to pay £6 more for the deposit. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I went to our local Sainsbury's at 07:30 as work for NHS.  There were 2 security men checking badges.  Some older people tried to get in for what they called 'silver shopping hour' and were told this was on Monday, Wednesday & Friday and from 8 am it was for all shoppers. There was plenty of fruit, vegetables, salad and fresh milk & bread & I managed to get chicken which was great.  

5 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Different up here Jean, second homes have had to pay the full Council tax for the last few years. Additionally they also pay an extra 3% purchase tax on second homes (we have sooooo many more taxes up here, you think of something and we tax it). 

The package of taxes has apparently reduced second home ownership by almost half in the last 6 years. That in turn has helped with pricing so the locals in pretty places have a better chance of purchasing which was the point of it all.

Didn't explain it properly.  What is happening is that if they say their house is available to let for 14 weeks a year (doesn't have to be actually let, just available), then they can go on to Business Rates and then they are exempt.  They pay nothing.  So they then move back in to it for the weeks it's not let, use all the local facilities and pay nothing.  There is an appeal going in to Government.  Our Council alone is losing £2 million a year.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/pay-no-council-tax-second-home-saving-thousands-pounds-year/

Edited by jeanlyon

26 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Didn't explain it properly.  What is happening is that if they say their house is available to let for 14 weeks a year (doesn't have to be actually let, just available), then they can go on to Business Rates and then they are exempt.  They pay nothing.  So they then move back in to it for the weeks it's not let, use all the local facilities and pay nothing.  There is an appeal going in to Government.  Our Council alone is losing £2 million a year.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/pay-no-council-tax-second-home-saving-thousands-pounds-year/

Dreadful, that’s some tax loophole!

• Like 2

Just to share that we have 2 breaks paid for with Hoseasons in Lodges - one for April and one for May. We have been told that the April one is cancelled as the park is closed. We can not get our money back, we have the option to move it to another date within 12 months or put the money paid to future credit for their holidays.

P&O are not alone in this and to be honest we have found them more flexible with more perks when it comes to changing.

We are stuck with school holidays so moving the holiday to next year (when we have already got things booked) isn't as easy as it may seem

We can understand Hoseasons and P&O though in some ways. It must be a nightmare for them all and they are at risk of complete meltdown / going bump. It is easy to criticise but we don't have the figures and don't know what the implications re job losses for them will be if they make the wrong decision.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

It is easy to criticise but we don't have the figures and don't know what the implications re job losses for them will be if they make the wrong decision.

That’s a very commendable attitude, but I don’t believe that it is customers responsibility to shore up struggling companies with their own cash, even if they can afford to. I wonder how many of those accepting future credits from travel companies will still be as understanding if any of these companies go under and their future credits are suddenly worthless and their money is lost for good?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Just to share that we have 2 breaks paid for with Hoseasons in Lodges - one for April and one for May. We have been told that the April one is cancelled as the park is closed. We can not get our money back, we have the option to move it to another date within 12 months or put the money paid to future credit for their holidays.

P&O are not alone in this and to be honest we have found them more flexible with more perks when it comes to changing.

We are stuck with school holidays so moving the holiday to next year (when we have already got things booked) isn't as easy as it may seem

We can understand Hoseasons and P&O though in some ways. It must be a nightmare for them all and they are at risk of complete meltdown / going bump. It is easy to criticise but we don't have the figures and don't know what the implications re job losses for them will be if they make the wrong decision.

I have just had the same issue with a hotel complex on the Costa Del Sol which was booked for Monday and Tuesday next week.  I waited to see if the company would get in touch.  Nothing.  I called them.  I had to choose dates before the end of the year.  I randomly chose October.  I sort of don’t see us going.  I think DH will still be a bit wary of the virus in October, but at least I have kept my booking open.  

Eldest daughter had similar with Easyjet.  She had flights to UK booked because she was going to the theatre and a concert.  They are still not completely cancelled, but Easyjet has asked her to rebook the flights.  She is like ‘when??’   Until she knows what she wants to travel for, then she is not going to want to book.  BA have given youngest vouchers for her flight of last week which was cancelled.  

Travel companies are between a rock and a hard place and no action is actually without its downside.  

21 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

That’s a very commendable attitude, but I don’t believe that it is customers responsibility to shore up struggling companies with their own cash, even if they can afford to. I wonder how many of those accepting future credits from travel companies will still be as understanding if any of these companies go under and their future credits are suddenly worthless and their money is lost for good?

I agree. P&O do nothing that doesn't suit them. They would never show leniency if a customer was in difficulty. I will be trying hard to get MY money back.

• Like 3