Insurance

Josy1953

I have an annual policy with Insureandgo (as I have pre-existing conditions) that is due to expire 3 days into our July* cruise. Their website says that people with existing policies are covered for coronavirus but not those taking out new policies.

I tried to phone the insurer last week but lines were jammed and I couldn't get through. In the end I decided to wait and see. I still have cancellation insurance on my current policy and I hope that things will be much clearer by the end of June. At that stage I can look at all the info available and decide whether travelling is an option. If I can't get insurance to cover all likely risks, then I can't go anyway!

* Currently I am not booking anything that can't be refunded but very much hoping we will be able to go - whilst bearing in mind that we might not.

26 minutes ago, Slugsta said:

I have an annual policy with Insureandgo (as I have pre-existing conditions) that is due to expire 3 days into our July* cruise. Their website says that people with existing policies are covered for coronavirus but not those taking out new policies.

I tried to phone the insurer last week but lines were jammed and I couldn't get through. In the end I decided to wait and see. I still have cancellation insurance on my current policy and I hope that things will be much clearer by the end of June. At that stage I can look at all the info available and decide whether travelling is an option. If I can't get insurance to cover all likely risks, then I can't go anyway!

* Currently I am not booking anything that can't be refunded but very much hoping we will be able to go - whilst bearing in mind that we might not.

I rang when I got the email yesterday and they said that my renewal will be treated as new business and so we would not be covered for coronavirus.  It may not be a problem because P&O may well cancel our cruise before we need to buy new insurance so I have decided to sit tight for the moment.

8 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I rang when I got the email yesterday and they said that my renewal will be treated as new business and so we would not be covered for coronavirus.  It may not be a problem because P&O may well cancel our cruise before we need to buy new insurance so I have decided to sit tight for the moment.

I think that is disgraceful when you are renewing an existing policy.

I think ours is due at the end of the month. I will see what happens.

Every time I have had a renewal for any type of insurance policy there is always a leaflet headed "Changes to Policy" where they have made changes to future insurance T&Cs and they are always for the worst. Dont think any renewals in future will cover cancellation for Coronavirus.

I have “free” insurance linked to a Nationwide current account.  Don’t actually use it as it isn’t the greatest in terms of coverage.  Just received a generic email from them stating that no claims for Coronavirus will be accepted for trips booked after today as it is now a known event.

If this is still going on in 12 months, should I go on a cruise and catch Coronavirus it looks as if many insurers are not going to cover it.  That appears to be a fairly compelling reason for many to ignore cruises for a good time in to the future.

I can’t see how anyone can take the risk of catching something that is very debilitating without any insurance cover being available.

I think anybody contemplating going on a cruise needs to be fully aware of the insurance situation. What would happen if you suffered a coved 19 related issue? Effectively you wouldn’t have insurance and this could end up being VERY expensive. 

Just had an email from Nationwide regarding the Flexplus insurance:

As you have travel insurance through your FlexAccount or FlexPlus current account, we want you to be aware that for any new trips booked on or after 18th March 2020, you won’t be covered for events caused by the Coronavirus pandemic.

Insurance is there to help with unknown or unforeseeable events. As Coronavirus is now a known event, U K Insurance Limited, our insurance provider, has confirmed cover will not be available for this.

If you booked a trip before 18th March 2020, cover is available for claims relating to the Coronavirus pandemic.

Yes that effectively makes their policy null and void for future cruises. ALSO be careful if you are transfering a cruise to a later time. I was told that would count as a new booking by Nationwide and therefor not be covered.

Hadn't thought of that!   Do you think that as we transferred a booking prior to 18th March, we would be covered though?  I think it reads as though it might although we have to renew in the next few months so might they impose the new conditions on renewal or still honour a booking made before 18.03.20?  I guess we need to be alert to changing T&Cs and check it out prior to full payment.  Only hope things are such that we're in a position to be able consider cruising by then.  😕