Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days

Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days   

867 members have voted

1. 1. Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days

• YES
    • NO
    • Not sure

2 hours ago, jp2746 said:

We are trying so hard to get out on a ship for spring break.  We have had two cruises canceled and have rescheduled two cruises.  Now it looks like those will be canceled.  I guess I will give up. If Disneyland is closing down the world really is coming to an end.  

I understand so suggest you find some good movies, books or hobby to occupy your time.

Oh and watch dvds of THE LOVE BOAT and dream on.

12 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I've seen examples, but Gov of ny said no thanks when offered more tests. He said they have enough.

Seems like a distribution problem?

Who knows... guy calls doctor wants a test, doctor doesnt want him in the office and dilly dallies but who knows why for sure people arent getting tested when they ask. But true.

5 minutes ago, coolptnr said:

Source?

Something called tv news, maybe you heard of it? He said he has over a million test kits.

That's why I'm wondering if the govt is now bogged down distributing the tests. They can make millions a day now of the test kits. You would think everyone could get a test who wants one, but still not everyone can ... dont know the reasons. 

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Something called tv news, maybe you heard of it? He said he has over a million test kits.

That's why I'm wondering if the govt is now bogged down distributing the tests. They can make millions a day now of the test kits. You would think everyone could get a test who wants one, but still not everyone can ... dont know the reasons. 

Which?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

This is what's mind blowing. China makes everything for everyone. I cannot see the US being able to pull off what China just did over the past few months. China increased production of masks. We can't even buy them. China increased production of medications. We buy these from China. We have a massive shortage of ventilators and other medical equipment. We buy these from China. Capitalism sold America's soul to China long ago.  China runs the world.

They built that hospital over a weekend but I would not want to see what it looks like 6 months from now, if it is still standing then. They did the same in China for the last two big viruses.

As for Wuhan, it is the preverbial assembly manufacturing centre of China. The world really. From medical supplies, to printer cartridges, even NHL hockey sticks.  We all want a deal, originally from Walmart, the Costco and now Amazon.  Is it time to pay more for built at home goods, who knows?  I doubt it will stop the future spread of viruses like COVID though.  It may sound overly Kum-ba-yah, but it would be great if world leaders would share and work better with each other in these type of health situations. At least with the NHL stopped they won’t run out of sticks during playoffs, not like that’s a positive.🤦‍♂️

I don’t know if you saw this NASA article about the decline of nitrogen dioxide over China since the factories there have been closed by their government. It’s stunning.  

Here are a couple photo.

AD1C47C1-052F-448C-A7D9-F40ACC95D36F.thumb.jpeg.5b621c88575c84302e07f04d623fe753.jpeg

F5D35541-4C76-413B-B116-E7CC7B6CACFA.thumb.jpeg.b17446d57152138c8e8047de129d04bb.jpeg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've been searching for a while and I can't find anything remotely resembling that being said. The only thing I can find about Cuomo saying regarding testing kits is that he's tired of waiting for the federal government to send the kits they needed so he was paying 20 local labs to develop kits so they could ramp up testing. That was from a conference yesterday afternoon. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

I've been searching for a while and I can't find anything remotely resembling that being said. The only thing I can find about Cuomo saying regarding testing kits is that he's tired of waiting for the federal government to send the kits they needed so he was paying 20 local labs to develop kits so they could ramp up testing. That was from a conference yesterday afternoon. 

You can't find it because I don't think he ever said it...I suspect Firefly 333 can't find it either.

Edited by coolptnr

Well I do have this in writing. Looks like large church gatherings will be shut down for one week in dallas. I get news updates constantly... I delete them after I read them. Believe what you want.

Some exceptions including airports. 

It happens after hurricane disasters too .... distribution issues. 

20200312_233826484.jpeg

20200312_233843966.jpeg

50 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've seen examples, but Gov of ny said no thanks when offered more tests. He said they have enough.

Seems like a distribution problem?

Who knows... guy calls doctor wants a test, doctor doesnt want him in the office and dilly dallies but who knows why for sure people arent getting tested when they ask. But true.

I heard a doctor interviewed on the radio yesterday and by his admission last week NY State, including NYC, had no more than 5,000 tests. Why would they turn them down if they were offered. At his hospital there they are currently setting up a clinic to do tests and analyze them. They aren’t prepared yet as at their location they didn’t even have tests to give. He also stated that kits were only used on individuals that were basically confirmed without actual knowledge. I walk in off the street and I get no test. I am in hospital with serious signs of COVID and I am allocated one. Basically they were hoarding them for as needed. There was a female reporter from NYC that had been making the tv/radio rounds who wanted a test but was denied by the hospital on 2 occasions by the DR, even with a temperature and cough. It was not until she contacted a politician, the Governor’s office of NY if it remember correctly, did she get approval to have a test done. It did come back negative. 

They need to get these tests out to the people, and hope a vaccine is found/produced sooner than later. Once they are out in mass they can set more testing stations, and get a better baseline on the situation. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

They also said as test kits go out, they expect positives to rise. Overnight last night cases doubled in the USA so obviously kits are getting out there. The stock market reacted to the doubling of positives.

Yep lots of contradictory messages, I'll give you that. One says one thing, the next guy reports something else. So who knows what is true. Lots of talking news heads are wrong, both cant be right if they say opposite... but also clearly tests are getting out there. 

If they can make millions a day, they are going somewhere? One hopes. 

The stock market didnt like cases doubling last night. I hope everyone who wants testing gets it so we can get firm numbers. Too much guessing and talking heads who profess to know when no one knows where this will go.

Tonight some doctor said some huge number could die, I mean really out there, says no one knows. One says get 4 months of supplies, the next doctor says dont hoard. Who knows what's true. I listen to news all day, stay home and listen and get virus updates from dallas morning news.

Someone said it, doesnt make it true. I'll grant you that, but I do believe we can and are making millions of tests a day. I cant tell you where they are going.

As far as the ny governor... I watched a interview a few days ago what he said. Things could have changed. I'm not going to call him a liar. The interview with the ny governor could have been as long ago as 3 days ago I listened to. Things change hourly and daily.

Test kits are going out to places that want them. Millions are being made a day. At some pt they will catch up and we can get a firmer grasp on number of positives. 

More worrying is shortage of nursing personnel and er type beds imo. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

Well of course. Apparently, once you start testing people they will find that it has been in the population for a while. That is what happened in Italy. But I don't really see what difference it makes? It is here, it is communicable and like any other virus you have to take personal precautions as advised. If they really do start testing people, the numbers will skyrocket with positive results. Knowing/not knowing how many people have it? What difference? 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 4

Btw I agree this thread is getting toxic. I am sure i heard the mayor of ny talking, i think monday morning. I too was surprised how he said he and Washington were working together etc. 

Doesnt mean things havent changed. Well I bid this toxic thread good night. 

4 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Well of course. Apparently, once you start testing people they will find that it has been in the population for a while. That is what happened in Italy. But I don't really see what difference it makes? It is here, it is communicable and like any other virus you have to take personal precautions as advised. If they really do start testing people, the numbers will skyrocket with positive results. 

From yesterday to this morning positives doubled, and going to get worse. 

What were the figures, citing from shock this morning... from about 500ish to over 1000 this morning.

Pastor Jeffries a tv evangelist who was on our news tonight saying he refused to cancel the audience for his broadcast, his message was too important ... well now nothing allowed over 250, per emergency here in dallas. He seems to think he is above the Pope and refused precautions like limiting attendees.

• Like 2

Should RCL suspends all cruises for 60 days ? Yes they should. 

We are in a time of crisis. This is not a joke or media hyped frenzy.  This virus is not the flu once and for all and has finally been declared a Pandemic!  Please think of everyone else right now not just your potentially lost leisure time which is painful i know but that's what it is.

I just cancelled a trip to japan for next week and lost quite a bit of money. I also have cruised over 30 times including January this year. I feel your pain but we all have to do what's right for the better of everyone else right now. Don't be a potential future part of the problem.

• Like 1

I have joined this thread just now, and yes, I believe that every single cruise line should suspend cruises. How long? I'm not a professional, so I don't know, what I know is that I wish for you all that governments worldwide start taking this virus more seriously than they are doing now. In Italy at the beginning of the epidemic a huge amount of people have been tested and numbers increased rapidly, other countries didn't , so maybe they could think they were above the problem. We have the most strict measures against the virus, in last 2 days measures have become even more severe: we cannot go out from home if not strictly necessary (buying food or go to work, the ones who still have to), everything is closed, as I said in other topics, churches, shops (with the exception of supermarkets, bakeries and similar), schools, no gatherings of people allowed (and I mean 2 people are considered a gathering), the police check people going around by car to see if they are allowed to...a limitation to personal freedom? Maybe, but it's necessary to stop the virus from spreading even more. We have to be responsible for our community's sake. So, if thousands people here can afford (or try to) to close their small businesses, shops, bars, restaurants, for 1 month, I think that big companies should do the same. I'm no economist, just using some common sense. Travelling is not a primary need, and this is the right time to stop, think, be responsible and then restart our normal life, as soon as possible.

Best wishes to you all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Really?  I don't think so.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/nyregion/coronavirus-testing-newyork.html

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/during-novel-coronavirus-briefing-governor-cuomo-announces-new-york-state-will-contract-28

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/n-y-gov-cuomo-questions-low-rate-coronavirus-testing-u-n1155331

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

They also said as test kits go out, they expect positives to rise. Overnight last night cases doubled in the USA so obviously kits are getting out there. The stock market reacted to the doubling of positives.

Yep lots of contradictory messages, I'll give you that. One says one thing, the next guy reports something else. So who knows what is true. Lots of talking news heads are wrong, both cant be right if they say opposite... but also clearly tests are getting out there. 

If they can make millions a day, they are going somewhere? One hopes. 

The stock market didnt like cases doubling last night. I hope everyone who wants testing gets it so we can get firm numbers. Too much guessing and talking heads who profess to know when no one knows where this will go.

Tonight some doctor said some huge number could die, I mean really out there, says no one knows. One says get 4 months of supplies, the next doctor says dont hoard. Who knows what's true. I listen to news all day, stay home and listen and get virus updates from dallas morning news.

Someone said it, doesnt make it true. I'll grant you that, but I do believe we can and are making millions of tests a day. I cant tell you where they are going.

As far as the ny governor... I watched a interview a few days ago what he said. Things could have changed. I'm not going to call him a liar. The interview with the ny governor could have been as long ago as 3 days ago I listened to. Things change hourly and daily.

Test kits are going out to places that want them. Millions are being made a day. At some pt they will catch up and we can get a firmer grasp on number of positives. 

More worrying is shortage of nursing personnel and er type beds imo. 

There is only one person who is saying this, and he is a proven liar.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Coralc said:

Well of course. Apparently, once you start testing people they will find that it has been in the population for a while. That is what happened in Italy. But I don't really see what difference it makes? It is here, it is communicable and like any other virus you have to take personal precautions as advised. If they really do start testing people, the numbers will skyrocket with positive results. Knowing/not knowing how many people have it? What difference? 

I was wondering this too.  Since there is no drug that will treat the virus, other than adding to the official count (and fueling the worldwide panic), what difference does it make if people are tested?  Whether you have regular influenza or COVID 19, the treatments are the same - rest, fluids, self-quarantine.  Why risk infecting others traveling around to hospitals, urgent cares and doctor's offices trying to find a test?

The "test shortage" news cycle is contributing to the panic.

As far as the OP - yes, I have thought since the beginning of this that cruise lines should have started canceling cruises to affected areas earlier (probably after the first Princess ship quarantine).  And not to discriminate, airlines also should have started earlier in limiting air travel and enacted better screening procedures.  Hind sight is 20/20 though and I understand that both these industries will lose billions and can't take shutdowns lightly.

I've also been surprised at how determined some folks are to take their cruise or get on the plane and take their vacation "no matter what" despite the knowledge of how quickly this virus spreads.  My family too has been affected by having to cancel our land vacation and having our child's spring sport canceled, and likely school being canceled starting next week.  The sooner we all take this "social distancing" seriously, the quicker the virus will be contained and start to fizzle out and we can get on with our lives.

• Thanks 1

I never thought I would say this but, yes i do think RCCL should shut down for 60 days. Their band is still intact along with Celebrity and Azmara. I commend them for their superb job thus far.....but let's face it all cruise ships are under continuous scrutiny and a little like a ticking time  bomb. 

• Like 5

To me, it feels like we are in the worst of all possible situations.

If everything would have stayed open, the virus would have just run its course.

Since we are closing everything, there is a huge economic impact.

But since we waited for the virus to get a foothold before closing everything, we might not be able to contain it and it might just run its course anyway.

It feels like our decisions created the worst possible outcome--a pandemic *and* an economic mess.

• Like 1

I think we'll find out soon enough. To echo what others have said... the last thing RCL wants to do right now is issue refunds. Given the 48 hour policy, it seems logical from a financial standpoint for them to allow that deadline to expire for all cruises departing over the weekend as the deadline for the Sunday departures will be today (Saturday departures expired yesterday). The point I'm making is that RCL is hoping that those holding out will call at the last minute to get their FCC which helps them down the road as it keeps the money in the bank. It feels like, and of course it's unknown right now, that if they cancel they'll have to issue refunds and they are just bleeding the clock now to avoid as much of that as possible. If they are canceling cruises, I feel like that announcement will come later in the day or early Saturday morning before the weekend departures leave.

• Like 1