Skymiles cancellation, reclaim with no fee?

thinfool

Booked Delta Skymiles, LAX>WLG (new zealand) on Feb. 10 for a flight on April 4.  We were sailing on the Ruby Princess on April 12.

Want to cancel and reclaim my miles with no fees.  Princess has cancelled this sailing due to the coronavirus, there is no other sailing, never, not even next year.  This was a repositioning cruise.  Next year it will be a different ship and itinerary.  So rescheduling is not an option.

When I try to cancel on the Delta site, it works, but I hit a paywall ($300.)  Everything I read says that this should happen without a fee.  I looked into calling Delta, but the estimated wait time was/is over 6 hours.

Any insight or suggestions?

The websites are not handling the temporary cancellation policies well. Better to call in. Given the situation, it may take a while, although I was able to have United cancel one flight for free, and re-arrange another, also for free, even though neither met their technical criteria for free changes (this was before the announcement of even more flight issues last night). I was on hold for 40 minutes once, then for 15 minutes the second time, before getting a person, and resolving everything very efficiently in about 10 or so minutes.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, thinfool said:

When I try to cancel on the Delta site, it works, but I hit a paywall ($300.)  Everything I read says that this should happen without a fee.  I looked into calling Delta, but the estimated wait time was/is over 6 hours.

Call in the morning.  Then take the option for a call-back and go about your day.  DL will call you and you won't have had to wait on hold.

Website reprogramming is far behind the quickly-changing rule changes.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, thinfool said:

Take the call back option and/or wait.  The email Delta sent out yesterday said, among other things, that if you aren't flying in the next 3 days please wait, because have so much call volume right now just handling the immediate future that they can't handle it.  You have time to wait.

Following up...flights cancelled and waiting on skymiles reposting (no charge, up to 10 day wait) to my account.

All accomplished via Twitter...no protracted waits on the phone.  It did challenge my patience tho.

Not being in a hurry, I posted on Twitter...eventually a cheerful soul found my message...I had posted the booking number, last name, flight date...and she took care of it.

In the end it was pretty painless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I called the skymiles number and they connected me within 10 minutes. This was about a week ago. They said the miles would be redeposited into my account wih no fee and they would refund the taxes back to my credit card.

you should be able to find the sky miles number on the Delta site.

• Like 1