Disney cancels all cruises...is Royal next?

jrapps

8 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I have to wonder what happens to the crew

Some are from countries with virus so if they cant go home then what?

I guess they can spend a month cleaning the ship but circling around in ocean burns fuel.

Then again some might go to NYC or FLA and be used as floating hospitals

Wondering  about the Olympics too.

The crew are on visas that allow them to work on the cruise ships and transit through the US, but not stay for any length of time so they'd have to return to their home country unless the cruiseline keeps them on the ships and continue to pay them.  I haven't seen what Princess is doing with their crews.  

9 hours ago, eaflorida said:

Yes, wonderful fear courtesy of the media making it sound like a pandemic and we are all going to die. I am stressed out from the sky is falling mentality right now, and by watching my Retirement account in freefall. 

Retirement accounts will be fine.  The stock market over it's lifetime has averaged about a 10% return every year.  This is temporary, as are all the restrictions.  BTW, I'm retiring in two weeks.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, ryano said:

The media, ALL of them, have been caught in so many LIES and made up crap and you really believe that to be true?   Are you interested in some oceanfront property in Montana by chance?       I hear a cruiseport is being built there 😎 

Sorry you feel that way. Have a great day😊

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

On the lighter side the anthem 12 nite ta in april has an inside cabin for $399. Good deal eh??It is sailing to england, so maybe you can get home. 

With D+ discount, one can get a 1E balcony for even less.

Biker, who assumes the TA won't happen with paying passengers.

Edited by Biker19

20 minutes ago, BND said:

Retirement accounts will be fine.  The stock market over it's lifetime has averaged about a 10% return every year.  This is temporary, as are all the restrictions.  BTW, I'm retiring in two weeks.

Just don't stop buying. 

Dollar cost averaging

4 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

Just don't stop buying. 

Dollar cost averaging

I'm a Fed employee and when I retire my buying into my TSP stops lol.  But, it's currently purchasing more at lower prices so that helps. I am rolling the account next month though into something else, but still won't be putting in anymore.  My husband is still working so he's still buying.  I do not people currently buying individual stocks hoping to leverage it into more once the market recovers, which it will.  

• Like 1

As the coronavirus continues to spread worldwide and throughout the U.S., some Fox News hosts have actively downplayed its severity, accusing Democrats and the media of pushing a hoax to undercut President Donald Trump. In stark contrast, Fox News brass is taking the outbreak very seriously.

In a Thursday memo to staff, obtained by The Daily Beast, Fox News CEO Suzanne Scott and network president Jay Wallace warned employees about the risks of COVID-19, and announced steps the network will take to combat its spread, including telecommuting, reduced in-studio guest bookings, and enhanced office cleanings.

Fox News brass also emphasized the channel’s duty to keep viewers informed with accurate information, underscoring the seriousness of the unfolding epidemiological situation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Anton said:

No cruise line wants to be the "last man standing" in the midst of this.  It's like having the sign on your back with "kick me".  I think Disney set up the row of dominoes to fall for RCI, Celebrity, Carnival, NCL, etc.  Princess had no choice since one more ship event for them and it'd likely finish them off as a cruise line.  The only question now is who will announce first on Friday?

I have a B2B scheduled on Majesty in April.  I have no expectation that it will be happening, although I am not cancelling the two cruises.

Currently on the Majesty headed to New Orleans tomorrow.  I am also doing a B2B and hope to sail back out of New Orleans tomorrow.  Have been looking at flights tomorrow in case, but so far so good.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

As the coronavirus continues to spread worldwide and throughout the U.S., some Fox News hosts have actively downplayed its severity, accusing Democrats and the media of pushing a hoax to undercut President Donald Trump. In stark contrast, Fox News brass is taking the outbreak very seriously.

In a Thursday memo to staff, obtained by The Daily Beast, Fox News CEO Suzanne Scott and network president Jay Wallace warned employees about the risks of COVID-19, and announced steps the network will take to combat its spread, including telecommuting, reduced in-studio guest bookings, and enhanced office cleanings.

Fox News brass also emphasized the channel’s duty to keep viewers informed with accurate information, underscoring the seriousness of the unfolding epidemiological situation.

Gee, that is written just like a competitor would write it.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Probably better to halt for a while before multiple ships get it and are subsequently splashed across all the headlines.  Diamond Princess will forever be known as "that" ship.  Hate to see a Royal ship earn that as well. 

Calling the Diamond Princess “that ship” reminds me of an incident on the Carnival Triumph.

Got an email from Celebrity this morning about the situation and it reiterated the Cruise with Confidence policy of cancelling by 48 hours before sailing.  Also stated their enhanced screening procedures.   No mention of shutting down at all. 

Just heard this morning that the Port of Baltimore is closed, effective immediately except for the two ships that are left to come back in.  So Royal may not have a choice but to cancel if other ports do the same.  And BTW, I am a TA and have not heard of any press release at 2 PM today. 

It seems inevitable that RC will cancel cruises.  It is clearly the right thing to do with all the other extraordinary efforts taken across the nation to slow the spread of COVID19.  The question is how much longer until RC makes the announcement.  And will they be as generous as Princess by offering full refunds plus FCC?

4 hours ago, ryano said:

The media, ALL of them, have been caught in so many LIES and made up crap and you really believe that to be true?   Are you interested in some oceanfront property in Montana by chance?       I hear a cruiseport is being built there 😎 

Omg I am laughing, how true... we need some humor

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

You seem a bit biased - I wont get caught up in your anti fox/trump world but if you watch fox Tucker Carlson has almost daily since January been speaking about how dangerous and deadly this virus is and that even when it was just in China (I know CNN has outlawed that language as of now) it was coming here and would be serious and deadly. I thought he was embellishing this but turns out he may have been the only one spot on. Our Local and state politicians especially in NY have been pathetic. Please spare us the rhetoric - all media is to blame and all the politicians are to blame - In our Cancel Culture we are more afraid of hurting someone's feelings than doing what should be done. 

57 minutes ago, Secretlyfi said:

Got an email from Celebrity this morning about the situation and it reiterated the Cruise with Confidence policy of cancelling by 48 hours before sailing.  Also stated their enhanced screening procedures.   No mention of shutting down at all. 

We are set to sail out of NOLA on March 21 and got an email stating that they have  the Cruise with confidence plan as well as enhanced screening happening at the port. It also said "we can't wait to welcome you aboard". Not saying that they won't cancel or can't cancel but I did take this as we are still planning to send the Majesty out with people on her. 

'Please spare us the rhetoric - all media is to blame and all the politicians are to blame - In our Cancel Culture we are more afraid of hurting someone's feelings than doing what should be done. '

Thank you for your rhetoric. I agree,  both sides are to blame.