Disney cancels all cruises...is Royal next?

jrapps

14 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Disney has officially canceled all cruises and closed Disney world effective this coming weekend. At this point I think it's not if but when Royal cancels cruises.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coronavirus/os-ne-disney-world-closes-coronavirus-health-20200313-n7ocyer7bbc4zi725gfhfor2oa-story.html

Disney so far has only cancelled through the end of the month.  Princess and Viking have into May.  I think Royal will too, but for 60 days like others.  Disney will probably extend theirs.  

• Like 1

No cruise line wants to be the "last man standing" in the midst of this.  It's like having the sign on your back with "kick me".  I think Disney set up the row of dominoes to fall for RCI, Celebrity, Carnival, NCL, etc.  Princess had no choice since one more ship event for them and it'd likely finish them off as a cruise line.  The only question now is who will announce first on Friday?

I have a B2B scheduled on Majesty in April.  I have no expectation that it will be happening, although I am not cancelling the two cruises.

Edited by Anton

Princess has had all kinds of problems so not surprised they are cancelling cruises. Carnival has a bunch of lines why are they just shutting down Princess Line? Because of the Issues maybe!  Viking cruises are mostly in Europe and has mostly elder cruises so I understand them cancelling. One thing I don’t get is this is such horrible pandemic with a “We are all going to die mentality” but Disney isn’t closing till Sunday! 🤔 Hmmm if it’s that bad close now! 

i think everyone is getting too emotional and starting to react on fear. #JMHO 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, wonderful fear courtesy of the media making it sound like a pandemic and we are all going to die. I am stressed out from the sky is falling mentality right now, and by watching my Retirement account in freefall. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, kidless said:

but Disney isn’t closing till Sunday!

I think it's to allow customers with trips planned time to cancel or make alternative plans. Perhaps they didn't want to panic their employees? Many angles to consider when you are one of the largest media conglomerates in the world. I'm sure many of their other business are now wondering if their departments will also be closed.

10 minutes ago, eaflorida said:

Yes, wonderful fear courtesy of the media making it sound like a pandemic and we are all going to die. I am stressed out from the sky is falling mentality right now, and by watching my Retirement account in freefall. 

It doesn't just sound like a pandemic....It's officially a pandemic.  I think it's all a bit of an overreaction...but after under reacting for 2+ months...this is the price we pay.

• Like 4

I have to wonder what happens to the crew

Some are from countries with virus so if they cant go home then what?

I guess they can spend a month cleaning the ship but circling around in ocean burns fuel.

Then again some might go to NYC or FLA and be used as floating hospitals

Wondering  about the Olympics too.

Probably better to halt for a while before multiple ships get it and are subsequently splashed across all the headlines.  Diamond Princess will forever be known as "that" ship.  Hate to see a Royal ship earn that as well. 

• Like 4

I hope royal doesn't shut down. First b2b april 19th. But people must be smart. 

I suggest flogging the idiot who flew on jet blue from jfk to fla. To land in fla with the corona virus. It's  a 3 hour flite. You knew you were sick before you got on.  

• Like 1

All it takes is ONE crew member or guest to show signs and that ENTIRE ship is doomed to the same fate as these others. It will be difficult to even find a port for them to accept them back when it happens (and it will).

its not the fear of getting sick anymore it’s the process of getting home safe after that  announcement comes over the speaker that a person on board is showing signs of sickness. 
AT that point “EVERYBODY becomes One and is all in the same boat”. There is no escaping “the process”  you are trapped and that should concern EVERYONE.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Postings on other social media that Royal is making an announcement at 2:00.  It never specified what the announcement was about but...

Looks like fb is taking down some of those posts about the announcement being a shutdown

• Like 1

The university where I teach part-time is going 100% online for the next three weeks and telling students not to return to campus from spring break until April. It seems that a significant factor in their decision was the announcement made by the federal government on Wednesday. I think that is what is driving all of the shutdowns we are hearing about so I would not be surprised if the cruise lines follow suit for at least the next three weeks.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, eaflorida said:

Screenshot_20200313_075911.jpg

The media did not call it a Pandemic out of the blue. It is a Pandemic according to the definition of a Pandemic. It is not fake news so for goodness sake stop blaming the media. They report the news, not make it up.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Criticizing the media seems fashionable these days and to some extent there is a lot of drama there but for the most part they are reporting the facts (at least the sources I read). Someone I know was on FB a few weeks ago mocking the whole thing. Then a few days ago she started posting biblical verses. Yesterday she now says someone in her office is infected and the whole place is shut down. We hear what we want to hear and sometimes reality is harsh and indeed stressful.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

Your opinion. 

The media, ALL of them, have been caught in so many LIES and made up crap and you really believe that to be true?   Are you interested in some oceanfront property in Montana by chance?       I hear a cruiseport is being built there 😎 

• Like 5

Spot on!