stock credit if you own 200 shares?

cruisebarbie

We already own 100 shares and use the on board credit quite a lot.  If I bought 200 more today would we get $200 credit per cruise or is there a max of $100?  Debating on buying more Carnival or buying our first 100 shares of RCL

Thanks!

Vicki

After the minimum of 100 shares, and there is no extra OBC benefit except:

-if you are married and you have a joint account

- if you ever split up and sailed in two rooms, you could each get the credit

- being held in a joint account allows either spouse to get the credit if they sail solo too.

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

They just borrowed 2 bill for 6 month liquidity.  I def would not count on the stock OBC continuing. 

I disagree. More than ever they need every incentive for people to continue cruising.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I disagree. More than ever they need every incentive for people to continue cruising.

Hope your right.  I would bet that those people are going to cruise anyway.  I look at as a liability not an asset. It is low, almost off the scale on priorities. 

• Like 2

The website says OBC available on sailings through July 31, 2021 and reserved by February 28, 2021.

To those of you that have owned stock a long time, is this date updated every year?  Or does this mean that it will be discontinued?

Thank you.

15 minutes ago, jackabby said:

The website says OBC available on sailings through July 31, 2021 and reserved by February 28, 2021.

To those of you that have owned stock a long time, is this date updated every year?  Or does this mean that it will be discontinued?

Thank you.

It has been renewed in the past , I think at the board meeting.

This too shall pass.  Quickly, I hope.

We have 100 shares in both My and DW's IRAs.  Unfortunately, both are in the $40 range.  I am debating purchasing more now that the price is in the teens, then eventually selling the higher priced shares at a loss for tax purposes.  We own the shares because we love the product, and are frequent cruisers.

To those who asked:  The credit is renewed annually for one year.  It has been active for at least 12 years, probably longer.  I do not see it discontinued, although I am worried about the dividend.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 6:56 AM, Denverdonkeys said:

After the minimum of 100 shares, and there is no extra OBC benefit except:

-if you are married and you have a joint account

- if you ever split up and sailed in two rooms, you could each get the credit

- being held in a joint account allows either spouse to get the credit if they sail solo too.

This is the first I've heard of $200 for a joint account.  Do you know the link where I can read up on this?

Tks!

10 hours ago, skiorcruise said:

We have 100 shares in both My and DW's IRAs.  Unfortunately, both are in the $40 range.  I am debating purchasing more now that the price is in the teens, then eventually selling the higher priced shares at a loss for tax purposes.  We own the shares because we love the product, and are frequent cruisers.

the tax treatment is different in your IRA. I am not sure you were realize your tax loss the way you think you will. Roth IRA will give you no benefit (no taxes on gains/losses).  traditional IRA gains/losses are not "taxed" until you withdraw the money (at retirement age) and you dont get  capital gains treatment on those investments. you just pay ordinary income on your distribution.

35 minutes ago, dizkid said:

This is the first I've heard of $200 for a joint account.  Do you know the link where I can read up on this?

Tks!

There is nowhere to read up on it- but my wife and I are commonly in different rooms due to kids when we book. The first time I submitted the OBC I had 100 shares, and they gave us both credit (could see both of our names and I gave both booking numbers). I felt bad about that, so I bought another 100 shares so that I felt like I was earning $100 per 100 shares. It works as if we were not in a joint account, and then is the same benefit as any other shareholder.

10 hours ago, skiorcruise said:

To those who asked:  The credit is renewed annually for one year.  It has been active for at least 12 years, probably longer.  I do not see it discontinued, although I am worried about the dividend.

I think they have to cut the dividend. They just borrowed for working capital. However, if they continue the dividend, then that dividend rate just went through the roof if you buy the stock now!

4 minutes ago, Denverdonkeys said:

There is nowhere to read up on it- but my wife and I are commonly in different rooms due to kids when we book. The first time I submitted the OBC I had 100 shares, and they gave us both credit (could see both of our names and I gave both booking numbers). I felt bad about that, so I bought another 100 shares so that I felt like I was earning $100 per 100 shares. It works as if we were not in a joint account, and then is the same benefit as any other shareholder.

Thanks. I'm guessing it's because you each had your own room and booking numbers.  Or someone messed up.  🙂