Canada ban just announced

airhose

I am booked on the Eclipse out of Vancouver to Alaska on June 14, so this is not going to be possible. I listened to our PM Trudeau today, and knew that it was bad news. I hope Miami office gets this news soon, because they did not know about it this afternoon. Final payment due by Tuesday, but I don't think I'll do that on a cruise that I'm going to have to cancel or change. Too bad because it was a good deal. I am looking at next year, similar itinerary, and I bet they'll fill up soon. They should be offering some consideration, because they have to cancel, not just me. 

It's all about the $$$.

I feel that problems and hysteria involving the virus will settle down very soon and business will get back to normal. I look forward to sailing out of Vancouver in May. 

Panic will subside. Things will get back to normal. 

• Like 2

Celebrity continues to play catch up with all of the changes being thrust upon them. They have dropped the April Vancouver-Honolulu cruise given the Canadian port ban, but still have the return Honolulu-Vancouver cruise available for bookings. 

11 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

It's all about the $$$.

I feel that problems and hysteria involving the virus will settle down very soon and business will get back to normal. I look forward to sailing out of Vancouver in May. 

May 2021 - Yes!  

May 2020 - not a chance.  

Prime Minister Trudeau clearly states until at least July 01 (the ban could go longer, not shorter).

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 12.31.32 PM.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:
27 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

It's all about the $$$.

LOL

5 hours ago, Brad1185 said:

Celebrity’s website today still shows our booked June 19 rt from Seattle available to book with a stop in Victoria.  You would think all Alaska cruises before July 1 will be cancelled

Can you imagine the big bottles of Aleve (made in China, btw) at the desk of each person in the logistics division trying to decide what needs cancelling and where ships are to be "parked" before the information gets to the IT website people in India?

I think the 30 (or 28) day pause is not enough given Canada and New Zealand and now some Baltic countries were thrown at them.

PR wise, the optics weren't good for Celebrity to update near last place yesterday.

But, I could be wrong.

Edited by jimmieg
Clarity

3 minutes ago, jimmieg said:

PR wise, the optics weren't good for Celebrity to update near last place yesterday.

I love Celebrity and a current loyalist; but I was:

(a) very disappointed that they held out to cancel and was more driven by the command from the WH to do so and
(b) disappointed about the lack of transparency of passengers who tested positive for COVID-19 after they came off the Summit and Silhouette, respectively.

• Thanks 1

We are booked on the Millennium to cruise from Vancouver BC to Seward, Alaska on June 19th - this will obviously (at this stage) not happen due to the current ban on cruise ships in Vancouver. I was wondering would it be feasible or even possible for "X" change the departure port from Vancouver, Canada to Seattle WA? 

50 minutes ago, finchy1950 said:

We are booked on the Millennium to cruise from Vancouver BC to Seward, Alaska on June 19th - this will obviously (at this stage) not happen due to the current ban on cruise ships in Vancouver. I was wondering would it be feasible or even possible for "X" change the departure port from Vancouver, Canada to Seattle WA? 

That cruise still has to stop at a foreign port.  Where would you suggest they go?  When we cruised to Alaska out of Seattle, we stopped in Victoria.  That isn't an option now.  I would expect all Alaska cruises to be canceled until Canada reopens their ports.

Everyone needs to be a bit patient. X is dealing with tens of thousands of people who just had their cruises cancelled. It will take some time.

Then add the need to cancel Europe for probably 2 months to start as there is literally no place to cruise there.

By the middle of April Celebrity should be ready to organize a systematic cancellation of Alaska cruises. With West Coast ports closed - Astoria, Santa Barbara, Monterrey along With Victoria and Vancouver really not practical to cruise that region until Vancouver and Victoria open to say nothing of Seattle which is on pause today 

Patience!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MarLieb said:

That cruise still has to stop at a foreign port.  Where would you suggest they go?  When we cruised to Alaska out of Seattle, we stopped in Victoria.  That isn't an option now.  I would expect all Alaska cruises to be canceled until Canada reopens their ports.

How do Hawaiian cruises get away without stopping in a foreign port?

Just now, Aussiegrlfl said:

They either start or end in Vancouver or stop in Mexico.

The other legal cruise is between American ports in a US flagged ship.

7 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Celebrity continues to play catch up with all of the changes being thrust upon them. They have dropped the April Vancouver-Honolulu cruise given the Canadian port ban, but still have the return Honolulu-Vancouver cruise available for bookings. 

Where are you seeing that?  I am booked on the Vancouver-Honolulu sailing. They had it listed on the initial cancellation list and then removed it a couple of hours later.  No news from X and still on my bookings page although it is not available for booking on the website anymore.

1 minute ago, landlocked406 said:

Where are you seeing that?  I am booked on the Vancouver-Honolulu sailing. They had it listed on the initial cancellation list and then removed it a couple of hours later.  No news from X and still on my bookings page although it is not available for booking on the website anymore.

Sorry to quote myself but I just checked the site and it is available to book again.  I wish they would make a decision and stick to it.

24 minutes ago, Aussiegrlfl said:

The ship most known for Hawaii cruises, NCL Pride of America, is a US flagged ship.  

6 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

I love Celebrity and a current loyalist; but I was:

(a) very disappointed that they held out to cancel and was more driven by the command from the WH to do so 

The WH did not command Celebrity to cancel.  

• Thanks 1

We were booked on the Summit reunion cruise May 28th to New England and Canada and cancelled today because Canada closed their ports to large ships.  I do not like the modified Celebrity coronavirus cancellation policy one bit.  We are able to use the FCC for our Apex cruise January 2021 but we are avid cruisers.  You are forced to either accept their cancellation policy of either 100% FCC or we would have had to take a 75% refund with loss of over $1,000.  Celebrity said that they have not been "officially" notified by the Canadian government that the Canadian ports are closed.  PICK UP A DAMN NEWSPAPER.  What irked me was that you had to use the FCC and sail by December 31st, 2021 or lose the entire amount.   I asked if I could get the 75% cash refund with the rest going to FCC and they flat out refused.  I even asked if they could make an exception to their restricted time frame to use the FCC for a new booking in January 2022 and again

they said no. .I guess they don't want to make their loyal customers, or any customer, happy.  It would make sense to me that if they can't deliver the product regardless of cause that they should give a 100% cash refund.  We have been sailing Celebrity since 1991.  Makes me rethink loyalty.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 7:49 PM, frteach said:

I am booked on the Eclipse out of Vancouver to Alaska on June 14, so this is not going to be possible. I listened to our PM Trudeau today, and knew that it was bad news. I hope Miami office gets this news soon, because they did not know about it this afternoon. Final payment due by Tuesday, but I don't think I'll do that on a cruise that I'm going to have to cancel or change. Too bad because it was a good deal. I am looking at next year, similar itinerary, and I bet they'll fill up soon. They should be offering some consideration, because they have to cancel, not just me. 

If you haven’t made final payment, you are in a good position to bail when you can.  After final payment, the general feedback is FCC only at this point.   Keep the cash in your pocket vs. Celebrity’s account.

• Like 1