Canada ban just announced

airhose

Here is the article on cbc

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-covid-19-1.5496367

Its buried a bit in there but this is a quote of the section...

During that news conference, ministers announced a series of new measures to limit the spread of COVID-19:

• International flights will only be permitted to land at a smaller number of airports. Those locations have not yet been announced.
  • A ban on boats and cruise ships carrying more than 500 people from docking at Canadian ports until July.
  • A recommendation that all travellers arriving in Canada from international points self-isolate for 14 days.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

There go all the Alaska cruises. Don't they have to either depart from Canada or stop in Canada per US law?

Yep, goodbye Alaska cruise.

Was thinking about that yesterday but at least now everyone can plan. I'll cancel all my flights and thankfully I booked the entire trip with points and miles. Will find something else to do then. 😄

7 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

There go all the Alaska cruises. Don't they have to either depart from Canada or stop in Canada per US law?

Yes. Anyone thinking of booking a 2021 Alaskan trip might want to consider booking now as I can see demand for them increasing over the coming weeks and pushing the prices up as a result. 

4 minutes ago, JTSpitfire said:

So for Alaska cruises to go ahead the US feds will have to suspend the Jones Act to allow departure from a US port.

Would not help much as Seattle currently "asking" cruise ships to bypass and they have only so many berths for ships.

Do you think since government says do not get on a cruise that Congree would suspend the Jones Act. No chance in h###.

Celebrity supposed to have announcements at 2pm DST - which is actually 2pm EDT - Eastern Daylight Time.

41 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Hawaii to Vancouver will be out ... .so Hawaii to ........ ?  round trip now? per Jones Act?

32 minutes ago, Moby Jones said:

Yes. Anyone thinking of booking a 2021 Alaskan trip might want to consider booking now as I can see demand for them increasing over the coming weeks and pushing the prices up as a result. 

Just called X to move my sailing to mid August. Let's see if it sticks. The lady was pretty shocked when I told her of the bad news.

1 hour ago, Forecheck said:

Also CDNS have been instructed not to travel and will be required to Self Isolate for 14 days if they travel upon return .

BC and PEI have implemented this for their residents, but I'm not aware of any federal requirement as yet. With all of the rapid changes, maybe I missed it.

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

BC and PEI have implemented this for their residents, but I'm not aware of any federal requirement as yet. With all of the rapid changes, maybe I missed it.

Trudeau announced this new advisory ( for international travel including to the US) this morning. Echoed by Canada's Chief Public Health Officer.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

Would not help much as Seattle currently "asking" cruise ships to bypass and they have only so many berths for ships.

Do you think since government says do not get on a cruise that Congree would suspend the Jones Act. No chance in h###.

Celebrity supposed to have announcements at 2pm DST - which is actually 2pm EDT - Eastern Daylight Time.

Curious - how did you learn about the 2pm announcement?  I'd appreciate being introduced to any new source from which helpful travel information can be gleaned.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hazeleyes101 said:

Curious - how did you learn about the 2pm announcement?  I'd appreciate being introduced to any new source from which helpful travel information can be gleaned.  

I would as well.   there goes this year's  vacation....  stay safe & healthy everyone. 

• Like 1