Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

10 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

You need to find a new bank or credit card provider because what you have seems to be in the minority.  Hope you get the refund due to you.

It's just the law, maybe they need to change that, but right now most banks have no incentive to do anything beyond 60 days.  I did get the FCC,  but I am still waiting for the refund.

Edited by travelhound

38 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Well, I have the same advice for you as when I and others advise people to find a new TA after a bad booking experience.  You need to find a new bank or credit card provider because what you have seems to be in the minority.  Hope you get the refund due to you.

60 days from when the servicewas supposed to be provided, I just got a credit back from a deposit paid in january 2019.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, resistk said:

60 days from when the servicewas supposed to be provided, I just got a credit back from a deposit paid in january 2019.

That's not the the legal requirement, but banks do have the flexibility to offer extended disputes.  I wish everyone the best of luck disputing charges.  Unfortunately, that is not an option at my bank.

Edited by travelhound

8 hours ago, Mackenzie1 said:

I've read that Discover and American Express are two card companies that allow disputes that are beyond 60 days from payment. I'm not sure if any other credit card companies follow this policy, and instead, only allow disputes within the 60 days of payment.  Does anyone know if other cards allow disputes over payments made that are older then 60 days from payment? Thanks!

AMEX allowed me to dispute the initial deposit I made June 16, 2019. I had to call AMEX since it was last year. They gave me a credit within hours  and also on the final payment that was made March 1.  It's a shame the CC companies are having to do the work Princess is not doing.  Our cruise was for June 9th.

I read on this forum that the "30-60 days" was from the date of the cruise, not the date when you requested  the refund. I had no intention of waiting for Princess to "maybe" refund me by August, or never. That is ridiculous.

Y'all:  This is YOUR money being held by a huge corporation. They don't really care about the inconvenience. File a Credit Card dispute. It's your best option.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, travelhound said:

It's not even close, we paid 9 months ago.  Unless you paid within 60 days of sailing or cancelation, it's unlikely that you will be able get a refund from the credit card.

Not my experience. AMEX credited me for deposit I made last June.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MavisMarie said:

Not my experience. AMEX credited me for deposit I made last June.

Like I said, it's only the legal requirement.  AMEX may be one of those cards that offer extended disputes.  It's something I never even considered before when looking at various credit cards.

Edited by travelhound

49 minutes ago, travelhound said:

Like I said, it's only the legal requirement.  AMEX may be one of those cards that offer extended disputes.  It's something I never even considered before when looking at various credit cards.

lesson learned. 
several of us have been successful in our disputes. Money back and all settled because of the credit card company we chose. 

Edited by dog
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, travelhound said:

Yup, it's from the date of the charge.  The banks have no legal responsibility to do anything beyond 60 days.  That said, there are banks that offer an extended period of time.  Beyond that, your only hope is that the cruise industry recovers.

Please don’t post statements that you are not able to substantiate and which may not apply to all readers - readers come from different countries and deal with many different banks and laws.  There’s nothing as black and white as you are making it sound.  As so many others have said, everyone needs to check with the bank that carries their credit card and understand what applies to them.  

I am sorry you’re dealing with a bank with poor service.  Many start counting 60 days from when the service should have been received.  Since your bank does not you might want to look into switching to one of the many with better arrangements.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mrsbillyp said:

As others have suggested, I also encourage people to contact their credit card company directly and not be scared away by guidance provided here. Although people are well-intentioned, each bank has different time limit rules and “services not rendered” will likely give you 60 days beyond the sail date (not charge date).

I was able to call and file a dispute with Chase Thursday and even able to include a charge from last July for the initial deposit. Also, I too received the recording that most call centers were closed down except for emergencies. I was persistent, got to an operator, asked for the dispute department, waited 20 minutes and got to an agent who helped me. No decision or temporary credit has yet been applied for the $8525 Princess owes me but the dispute agent identified every charge, noted an explanation for each one, and submitted the claim for consideration. 

I know many are patiently waiting but my confidence and trust In Princess has been depleted. Not seeing any evidence that any refunds have been issued for sailings canceled on March 12th speaks volumes to me. Best wishes to everyone. 

Thank you, Mrs. BillyP.  I most appreciate your letting us know what you experienced with Chase.

• Like 1

here is another delaying tactic that they are enforcing posted on FB yesterday

Princess Fbk  yesterday
"Author
Princess Cruises Hi, Anna. We simply require a copy of the denial of the claim from the  insurance company to ensure that guests are not receiving double reimbursement.
 This is not any attempt to avoid the reimbursements we have promised, but recognizes  that travel insurance should be the first avenue tried."

Hmm now accusing people of cheating?    In the UK  I dont think many travel insurance policies would cover cancellation or repatriation costs on a cruise cancelled by the cruise line.   Maybe  yes if someone was ill.

Anyway as Jan Swarz  said   in the video we got to watch on board AT 5AM!!

"And we will do everything in our power to return each guest home with the greatest care possible"    which I took to mean  and we will pay for it!   clearly I have been very gullible.

They did nothing to help other than give us our airlines phone number and let us phone for free.  

So if you had advised Princess in your API details of Insurance  better get the letter they want so it is available when /if they ask for it.  Insurance companies maybe as far behind dealing with queries as Princess.

Edited by Aulanis

11 hours ago, jwattle said:

If you're wrong, and I think that you are about CCL declaring bankruptcy, are you going to be willing to admit it, especially if they make all of their passengers whole?

Read the financials and trader news.....it is not rocket science that they have no income and owe billions and will have to pay their creditors soon.....there are so many different types of transportation companies that have gone under in the past that were too big to fail.  

Where is your proof that they are financially sound and would/could not do bankruptcy reorganization?  They are holding on to people's money because it is their lifeline right now.....although a short one IMHO.

3 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

Yup, this is a problem that is affecting the entire cruise industry.  Ultimately, I don't think it will be resolved until the cruise lines are able to restart operations.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, travelhound said:

Yup, this is a problem that is affecting the entire cruise industry.  Ultimately, I don't think it will be resolved until the cruise lines are able to restart operations.

Yes, and what's most discouraging is that it's been almost two months since the mass cancellations of cruises, and nothing has really changed.  The virus is still with us, cruises still aren't sailing, and there's no indication of when that will change. Hopefully, these states that are beginning to open up will be successful, and we will finally be able to leave our homes and ease up on social distancing.    

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mackenzie1 said:

Yes, and what's most discouraging is that it's been almost two months since the mass cancellations of cruises, and nothing has really changed.  The virus is still with us, cruises still aren't sailing, and there's no indication of when that will change. Hopefully, these states that are beginning to open up will be successful, and we will finally be able to leave our homes and ease up on social distancing.    

That's really the solution to all of these problems, let's hope for the best.

6 hours ago, dog said:

I suggest submit paperwork regardless of what agent told you to file a credit card dispute. Can only tell you it does not meet dispute requirement, right?

I had no problem disputing charges well beyond 60 days with Citi and Chase. Just indicated that services were cancelled by me. Instant credits received from both, although subject to their resolution with Princess. Received final resolution within 4 weeks from Chase confirming >$6,000 credits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Thanks for sharing an informative article....

Thanks for the article.

Well Lordy Lordy lookie there... the cruise lines mentioned in the article .. all the mass market ones.. ALL have passengers weighing the same options ..FCC or $ refund .. and ALL are waiting! Just like us with Princess.!

It ‘appears’ that RCL MAY  be cranking out refunds quicker in 45 days but maybe they had less cruises impacted. Could communication be better? You bet so there is a take away here big time.

My point is ...for everyone who is thinking that they will ‘never cruise Princess again’ because of this refund process , take a hard look at the entire cruise industry before jumping ‘ship’. 
It’s an industry wide issue, not just one company. 

• Like 2

I believe that the ability to select the ship, the cruise line, the price, the itinerary, the timing, and even the IF far exceeds the value of any premium offered for a FCC in lieu of a refund.

I think back to our last two cruises.  South America and Australia/NZ.  In both instances we narrowed our selection down to one of three choice-different cruise lines that we found comparable.  In the the SA cruise, the price we went with was 30 percent less than the next lowest offering.  It was 40 plus percent for our choice in the Oz/NZ cruise.   And we have seen large differences when we have booked well inside the final payment window....as we often do.

24 minutes ago, remydiva said:

Thanks for the article.

Well Lordy Lordy lookie there... the cruise lines mentioned in the article .. all the mass market ones.. ALL have passengers weighing the same options ..FCC or $ refund .. and ALL are waiting! Just like us with Princess.!

It ‘appears’ that RCL MAY  be cranking out refunds quicker in 45 days but maybe they had less cruises impacted. Could communication be better? You bet so there is a take away here big time.

My point is ...for everyone who is thinking that they will ‘never cruise Princess again’ because of this refund process , take a hard look at the entire cruise industry before jumping ‘ship’. 
It’s an industry wide issue, not just one company. 

Only two cruise line corporations were mentioned and RCCL said they are issuing refunds in 45 days while CCL "wouldn't provide and estimate."  

The issue is they act like they are doing something, saying they are doing something but many of us feel that they are doing nothing.  

Actions speak louder then words and because they are a legitimate corporation they should not be stiffing their customers no matter what the circumstances are or they do not deserve to be in business.

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 3

No surprise that Travel Agents have been instructed to discourage credit card disputes.  Believe me while the cruise lines have been slow to issue refunds; they are fast to claw back on commissions.  In some cases the Travel Agency may be on the hook for a penalty too in the event of a credit card dispute.  It is a mess and getting bigger as June cruises are cancelled.

2 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Read the financials and trader news.....it is not rocket science that they have no income and owe billions and will have to pay their creditors soon.....there are so many different types of transportation companies that have gone under in the past that were too big to fail.  

Where is your proof that they are financially sound and would/could not do bankruptcy reorganization?  They are holding on to people's money because it is their lifeline right now.....although a short one IMHO.

I didn't say I had any; I said that I THOUGHT you were wrong about the bankruptcy 😄 

Just disagreeing with you about the likelihood of bankruptcy. 🙂