May Alaska-to cancel or hold on?

cwalmonds

My Alaska cruise round trip San Francisco is scheduled for May 13th.

questions/confusion TIA

1) Does this cancellation chart in the Passage Contract still apply...in terms of how much $$ refund to my credit card vs FCC I would get when/if either I cancel or Princess cancels:  

Today I am at Day 59 until the cruise...I have $100 FCD deposit. I have Princess Platinum Insurance

57 to 89 days    Cruise fare    Deposit^ Amount
29 to 56 days    All Items    50% of Total Charges

Edited by cwalmonds
Needed to paste in chart

7 hours ago, cwalmonds said:

questions/confusion TIA

1) Does this cancellation chart in the Passage Contract still apply...in terms of how much $$ refund to my credit card vs FCC I would get when/if either I cancel or Princess cancels:  

Today I am at Day 59 until the cruise...I have $100 FCD deposit. I have Princess Platinum Insurance

As for cancellation Princess has changed the terms. You can read them in the attached post. Also, right now Canada has stopped all cruise ships until July 1st. Unless Princess receives a waiver from Congress doubtful they will be able to go to Alaska. You should check with Princess regarding your sailing.

Every ship headed to Alaska has to make a stop in Canada as part of a maritime agreement; and like mentioned above Canada has barred all cruise ships until Jul; so doubt your cruise will be going

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cwalmonds said:

questions/confusion TIA

I would still think the original terms of contract would be viable, especially if you want the cc refund vs. FCC.  We are in the exact same situation with sail date 5/13/20 RT from Seattle.  Im thinking if we still cancel before 5/20/20, we would only lose deposit of $100/pp and receive refund of remainder amount paid.  As well as our flexible EZ-air which we have until 5/28/20 to cancel or change for a full refund.  I think the change is for people to re-coup all of their money back and offering it all in a FCC up until the 48-hour cancellation.  But right now they need to decide how to handle things with the ban on Canada ports, which probably will result in a cancellation throughout those dates.  At this time I am just over the whole situation, and don't care to even cruise anymore, it's taken all the excitement out of this trip we've been planning for over a year with extended family.  Just want to get all these funds straightened out which I also think is going to be another headache. 😂

• Like 3

Here is what I did;  I cancelled my cruise and booked for next year;  My travel agent was able to rebook the cruise; apply my deposit money and FCD towards the new cruise;  carried over my trip insurance to the new cruise; so I did not lose any money;  it was all put towards the new cruise. 

• Like 1

We were due to sail to Alaska from Vancouver and back to Seattle on May 17th, so almost the same problem as yourself.

If we cancel before we hit the 57 days (in our case, by the 22nd), we get all but the deposit refunded and that $200 in FCC. We booked through a TA and used EZAir for the flights, so in theory at least, we should get it all back. We got independent insurance, so we'll lose that plus we'll lose our non-refundable hotel booking (unless the hotel chain, Hilton,  changes its policy).

As far as cancellation is concerned, we're going to wait a day or two for word from Princess as it's all happened so fast. We want to get the refund rather than the 50% FCC that kicks in at 57 days. 

• Like 1

Guindalf,   your travel agent should be able to apply your travel insurance towards a future cruise;  that is what my agent did.  So we did not lose our insurance; we just re applied it towards another cruise

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Here is what I did;  I cancelled my cruise and booked for next year;  My travel agent was able to rebook the cruise; apply my deposit money and FCD towards the new cruise;  carried over my trip insurance to the new cruise; so I did not lose any money;  it was all put towards the new cruise. 

Wish it were that simple for us, we booked with our 2 adult daughters (family trip), and they have work and school schedules to contend with and won't know those situations for next May as of yet.  Just think it would be better to have refund so that nothing is tied up for them especially.  My husband and I can take time off whenever needed, but really wanted to enjoy this vacation with them. 😪  It's exhausting trying to figure out the logistics of all this, and now wondering what they will do with the Canada ban.  Glad you could work yours out!

18 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

We were due to sail to Alaska from Vancouver and back to Seattle on May 17th, so almost the same problem as yourself.

If we cancel before we hit the 57 days (in our case, by the 22nd), we get all but the deposit refunded and that $200 in FCC. We booked through a TA and used EZAir for the flights, so in theory at least, we should get it all back. We got independent insurance, so we'll lose that plus we'll lose our non-refundable hotel booking (unless the hotel chain, Hilton,  changes its policy).

As far as cancellation is concerned, we're going to wait a day or two for word from Princess as it's all happened so fast. We want to get the refund rather than the 50% FCC that kicks in at 57 days. 

So this is what we hope to do also!  Except our hotel was booked with no deposit so at least that's another $700 or so we don't have to worry about.  But we are also waiting for them to make a decision, before our dates come up.  At this point we are going to make a decision before our date regardless if Princess cancels or not.  We also will be out the 3rd party insurance, but I guess money saved on Princess GC will make up that difference. 🤣

15 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Guindalf,   your travel agent should be able to apply your travel insurance towards a future cruise;  that is what my agent did.  So we did not lose our insurance; we just re applied it towards another cruise

That would be a possibility IF I had taken it through my TA, but I got it independently through insuremytrip.com. As it's their only business, I doubt they'll offer us anything. Thankfully it was under $170, so we won't lose that much, but if I can get it or some of it back - or at least applied to a future cruise, I'd be happier!

Since you have the Princess Platinum Insurance, you can cancel for any reason and get 100% of your cruise cost (minus the insurance) back in future cruise credits and since the Cruise with Confidence program started, you can do the same for cancellation within 48 hours of the sailing.  

If you prefer cash back instead, that will be made available to you if Princess cancels the sailing.  There is a very slim chance that this cruise will happen with the governor of California calling for seniors to self isolate in their homes and the latest advice from the CDC to cancel events where the gatherings involve 50 or more people for the next 8 weeks.  I was just thinking of booking a sailing out of SF as well for early May but think I will just be setting myself up for disappointment.  Just my thoughts ... 

1 hour ago, Guindalf said:

That would be a possibility IF I had taken it through my TA, but I got it independently through insuremytrip.com. As it's their only business, I doubt they'll offer us anything. Thankfully it was under $170, so we won't lose that much, but if I can get it or some of it back - or at least applied to a future cruise, I'd be happier!

We usually buy insurance through insuremytrip. We have successfully transferred it from one trip to another when plans changed and there have been claims or penalties from the original trip. We are not sure what will be possible in our current situation, where 50% of our cruise fare will become FCC. The insurance cost more than $500 per person so we are trying to salvage it. Insuremytrip is basically your agent, and they do try to resolve issues with the insurance companies.

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Since you have the Princess Platinum Insurance, you can cancel for any reason and get 100% of your cruise cost (minus the insurance) back in future cruise credits and since the Cruise with Confidence program started, you can do the same for cancellation within 48 hours of the sailing.  

If you prefer cash back instead, that will be made available to you if Princess cancels the sailing.  There is a very slim chance that this cruise will happen with the governor of California calling for seniors to self isolate in their homes and the latest advice from the CDC to cancel events where the gatherings involve 50 or more people for the next 8 weeks.  I was just thinking of booking a sailing out of SF as well for early May but think I will just be setting myself up for disappointment.  Just my thoughts ... 

Has that really happened on the other cruises Princess has cancelled....option to get cash back?

I thought the 100/125/150% FCC. offered Depended on how many days before your cruise sails...ie back to the cancellation % chart.

3 minutes ago, cwalmonds said:

Has that really happened on the other cruises Princess has cancelled....option to get cash back?

I thought the 100/125/150% FCC. offered Depended on how many days before your cruise sails...ie back to the cancellation % chart.

My Princess cruise for early April was just canceled last week by the cruiseline.  I had the option of: 

100% cash back plus 50% of the cruise fare in FCC  

OR

175% FCC (with taxes and fees and associated costs being refunded in cash)

If the cruise was canceled closer to the cruise date, got even more, up to:

100% cash back plus 100% of the cruise fare in FCC 

OR

225% FCC as above 

Not sure how long they will keep up with that policy as it is the most generous one I've seen and it was earlier than when all other lines started their cancellations.  For example, Carnival will either refund your money OR give you a 100% in FCC + $600 for their cruiseline generated cancellations. 

Our cruise is B2B on May 20th -- all paid.  We are hoping it won't be too much longer before we hear about the May cruises.  Have to cancel some independent excursions and don't want to do that just yet.  Have already cancelled water and soda pkgs. with Princess.

• Like 1

I know my May cruise is cancelled.  I am just waiting for Princess to cancel it so I can have money or FCC options.  Have been on the phone cancelling independent tours --- a very sad day for our household.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

I know my May cruise is cancelled.  I am just waiting for Princess to cancel it so I can have money or FCC options.  Have been on the phone cancelling independent tours --- a very sad day for our household.

I know I just want to be done with all of this, and put it behind us and move forward.  Wish Princess would just go ahead and bite the bullet and cancel so we ALL can move forward and take care of the specifics!

11 minutes ago, 13cheermom said:

I know I just want to be done with all of this, and put it behind us and move forward.  Wish Princess would just go ahead and bite the bullet and cancel so we ALL can move forward and take care of the specifics!

In our house, we might be taking another hit.  We originally planned a B2B for this May and also booked a round tripper out of Seattle for August.  We know May will be cancelled but for August, we might be playing the waiting game again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Italy52 said:

In our house, we might be taking another hit.  We originally planned a B2B for this May and also booked a round tripper out of Seattle for August.  We know May will be cancelled but for August, we might be playing the waiting game again. 

I booked an August cruise for Alaska from a move over offer.  Boy, I'd sure hate to lose that one.  I can reschedule it one time ... sure hope I don't have to but, I'm sure I won't have a choice in the matter.  It's up to those way more powerful than I.  Will just go with the flow ... but yes, the waiting game is tough.  

• Like 1