Delta Lounge Question

mhb1757

I can’t find this info on Delta site and I sure don’t want to bug call agents during this time when they are so swamped with more urgent matters, but I thought someone here might know...

I have Gold status on Delta.. we have a trip booked later this summer from CVG to FRA with a fairly long layover in Atlanta. I will have lounge access for myself and 1 guest. We are traveling with another couple (no status on DL).  Can we buy a day lounge pass for them to use during the layover?  If so can I do it in advance or just at the lounge when we get there?  

33 minutes ago, mhb1757 said:

I can’t find this info on Delta site and I sure don’t want to bug call agents during this time when they are so swamped with more urgent matters, but I thought someone here might know...

I have Gold status on Delta.. we have a trip booked later this summer from CVG to FRA with a fairly long layover in Atlanta. I will have lounge access for myself and 1 guest. We are traveling with another couple (no status on DL).  Can we buy a day lounge pass for them to use during the layover?  If so can I do it in advance or just at the lounge when we get there?  

No, Delta no longer offers day passes for sale. There is access available with various credit cards and you can find the information on the Delta site here.  Some of the cards allow free access, some still require a fee, but those are the only way to "buy" your way in if you don't have access via membership/elite+ status/flying premium:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access

20 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

or they can look into https://www.prioritypass.com/

wont help for Delta Skyclub, but is a little more relaxing than genpop.

Or they can get a Delta Reserve credit card or an Amex Platinum charge card.

But then, both are a significant expense for a one-time experience.  Perhaps "The Club at ATL" would work, with a charge of $39 per person.  Available starting 3 hours before your departure time, so practically it's for a two hour stay.

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

True of most clubs, as you can get admittance with credit cards, status, and s a few other ways...

3 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Yes.  Some worse than others, but yes. 

Really, I am sorry to learn this.  Having a lengthy time between flights, as I often have to do, and flying Coach/Economy, being able to buy a day pass to a Sky Club has made the flying experience more enjoyable.  

Crowding?  Not a surprise to me.  Probably it was at ATL, the Sky Club most convenient for my connecting flight was packed to the gills.  There was a line at the Men's restroom.  I went to the next most convenient Sky Club and there was sufficient room.  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I was unaware of this.  Why did they do this?  Were the Clubs becoming too crowded?

A desire for people to either purchase full year memberships or to get the DL Reserve credit card.

Given current pricing, it is far better to get an Amex Platinum charge card than to buy a SkyClub membership.  The former effectively gives you the latter, plus many other benefits.  (Assuming you can qualify for the card).

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Really, I am sorry to learn this.  Having a lengthy time between flights, as I often have to do, and flying Coach/Economy, being able to buy a day pass to a Sky Club has made the flying experience more enjoyable.  

Crowding?  Not a surprise to me.  Probably it was at ATL, the Sky Club most convenient for my connecting flight was packed to the gills.  There was a line at the Men's restroom.  I went to the next most convenient Sky Club and there was sufficient room.  

Well, there are actually 8 or 9 Sky Clubs at ATL and I've been to all of them.  Some are worse than others, and obviously it varies all the time.  But several of them are frequently a zoo, as are some of the others around the country. 

If you fly often enough, then for what you pay in single visit passes, you should probably consider a membership, or as Flyertalker pointed out, one of the credit cards that include access. 

Edited by waterbug123

On 3/16/2020 at 9:17 PM, FlyerTalker said:

A desire for people to either purchase full year memberships or to get the DL Reserve credit card.

Given current pricing, it is far better to get an Amex Platinum charge card than to buy a SkyClub membership.  The former effectively gives you the latter, plus many other benefits.  (Assuming you can qualify for the card).

Thanks for your reply.

On 3/17/2020 at 8:28 AM, waterbug123 said:

If you fly often enough, then for what you pay in single visit passes, you should probably consider a membership, or as Flyertalker pointed out, one of the credit cards that include access. 

I don't fly often enough to warrant buying a membership.  I did that many years ago with TWA's Ambassador's Club when I thought I would make good use of it.  Didn't happen then and doubtful that such would happen now at this stage of my life.

Getting another credit card that has such a perk:  that's a possibility.  But, do I really want another credit card in my wallet?  

I really enjoyed being able to buy a day pass.  I didn't abuse the privilege.  I didn't drink excessively nor gorge myself with food.  I enjoyed the nice restrooms, the comfortable seating, and the helpful front desk staff when I needed their assistance.  When I flew Economy, it helped to make my air journey feel less "cattle class".  

Edited by rkacruiser

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Getting another credit card that has such a perk:  that's a possibility.  But, do I really want another credit card in my wallet?  

I really enjoyed being able to buy a day pass.  I didn't abuse the privilege.  I didn't drink excessively nor gorge myself with food.  I enjoyed the nice restrooms, the comfortable seating, and the helpful front desk staff when I needed their assistance.  When I flew Economy, it helped to make my air journey feel less "cattle class".  

Do keep in mind that credit card access isn't necessarily cheaper than a membership.  The unbranded Platinum Amex that gives access is something like $500/year for the annual fee.    The Delta branded reserve amex has its own annual fee (I'm not sure of the amount), and then you still pay $39/visit for the Sky Club.  The Delta branded platinum Amex also requires $39/visit, but I think the annual fee is less than the reserve card.  Some of the other perks of various cards can provide further value though.

3 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Do keep in mind that credit card access isn't necessarily cheaper than a membership.  The unbranded Platinum Amex that gives access is something like $500/year for the annual fee.    The Delta branded reserve amex has its own annual fee (I'm not sure of the amount), and then you still pay $39/visit for the Sky Club.  The Delta branded platinum Amex also requires $39/visit, but I think the annual fee is less than the reserve card.  Some of the other perks of various cards can provide further value though.

Correction.

The unbranded Amex platinum is free visits for the card holder when flying DL.  Up to two guests at $39 each.

The DL branded reserve is free visits for the card holder when flying DL.  Up to two guests at $39 each.

The DL branded platinum is $39 for the card holder when flying DL.  Up to two guests at $39 each.

The regular SkyClub membership is free for the card holder when flying DL.  Up to two guest at $39 each.

The executive SkyClub membership is free for the card holder when flying DL.  First two guests free, then $39 each for the next two.

Regular SkyClub is $545 per year.  Executive is $845.  DL platinum credit is $250, DL reserve credit is $550.  Amex platinum charge is $550.

(I regularly do this crunch for friends trying to figure out the best access for their needs, so the numbers were easy to post)

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Correction.

The unbranded Amex platinum is free visits for the card holder when flying DL.  Up to two guests at $39 each.

The DL branded reserve is free visits for the card holder when flying DL.  Up to two guests at $39 each.

The DL branded platinum is $39 for the card holder when flying DL.  Up to two guests at $39 each.

The regular SkyClub membership is free for the card holder when flying DL.  Up to two guest at $39 each.

The executive SkyClub membership is free for the card holder when flying DL.  First two guests free, then $39 each for the next two.

Regular SkyClub is $545 per year.  Executive is $845.  DL platinum credit is $250, DL reserve credit is $550.  Amex platinum charge is $550.

(I regularly do this crunch for friends trying to figure out the best access for their needs, so the numbers were easy to post)

Thanks for the clarification!  Anyone considering any of these should also consider other benefits offered by the various cards and the value of those benefits to them personally; everyone's needs and travel habits are different.

• Like 1