for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Good morning girls and especially Cynthia, 

File:Happy Birthday!.png - Wikimedia Commons

Hope you have a wonderful day and tell us all about your dinner with your son last night! Did you go to the same place you went for NYE? I think you had mentioned how much you enjoy that restaurant. 

Well, yesterday I was looking on line for that river cruise on the Seine........Uniworld has one with a waived Single Supplement and so I called them and have a cabin on hold till Tuesday. Giving me some time to think about it. It is for July (and yes I know Europe can be hot in the summer). But the price is really good.  I was looking at several cruise lines who do this itinerary. 

Melissa, so sorry about your brother's ankle! Hope he will be ok.

Hi Sharon, always good to see you😀

Melody, hope the foot is doing ok!!!

• Like 2

Cynthia - Happy Birthday!!!   Tax refund?  What's that????  I heard there was such a thing, but I haven't seen one...

2 hours in at work and, so far, so good.  I got my 2 departures cleared and my arrival is an owner, so it's easy.   But, I still have 7 hours to go...  Ugh.

Lois - go for the cruise!   I saw someone Vantage was advertising some solo pricing - I looked and laughed - beyond my pay and gratuity scale this year!   If you are going to do it, you can stay at that hotel I stayed at.

I've resigned myself to no cruises and no Europe this summer.  The tips just aren't coming in and I had to pay for that new garage opener.  Sigh.  I think I'll just do a quick "end of season" run down to Las Vegas for 2 nights so I can do some buying at Eataly and Earl's Discount Liquor.  Do a spa day and a day at a pool.  Have a good dinner at Jose Andres' place.  Take my camping gear with me and camp on the way back home.  Save up for next year's adventure.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning girls and especially Cynthia, 

File:Happy Birthday!.png - Wikimedia Commons

Hope you have a wonderful day and tell us all about your dinner with your son last night! Did you go to the same place you went for NYE? I think you had mentioned how much you enjoy that restaurant. 

Thanks Lois!!

Dinner was a bit of an experience last night. We didn't make a reservation because we figured 1) we'd be done early from getting taxes completed, and 2) it wouldn't be that busy the weekend after Valentine's Day, right?

Wrong!!!

The restaurant I'd picked (one of our go-to favorites, a cozy, friendly French Alsace bistro) had a 1.5 hour wait when we rolled up at 6:00 pm. I couldn't believe it. So, we decided to give a new Italian place a try and we got in (but only because someone had just decided to move from their table on the patio....)  I was worried it might be chilly, but they had the big outdoor heaters and it was fine.

I'm glad we went because WOW it was really good. It was more "this is what your Italian-American grandmother used to make" and less super-authentic Italian, but nevertheless the food was extremely tasty. We both want to go back. I had chicken scalloppini a la limone with capers and the sauce was so good I wanted to lick the plate. We shared a pasta (penne alla vodka) and it was delicious too with just the right amount of spice. And they had a nice Italian wine list as well. We told them it was my birthday and they brought out a HUGE tiramisu with candle on the house. I have most of it in the fridge; we were too stuffed to do more than sample it.

Re:  the cruise -- sounds nice!  I was in France and Germany in July last year when they were having horrible heat waves. The aircon there just cannot keep up but onboard ship I assume it wouldn't be a problem. You might want to check though whether they have problems with the rivers drying up at that time of year -- I hear stories of river cruises almost turning into bus tours when the water is too low for the boats to navigate.

• Like 1

Thanks for the the advise re blood thinners ,he is doing daily injections and can fly after 7 days ,business class.I had the same injections last year after my surgery.

Lois we did a Uniworld river cruise and loved it ,also through France.We started in Lyon and finished in Avignon ,it was mid summer and very hot.

Happy belated birthday Cynthia.

Kat you may still be offered the Italian Villa 🙂

• Like 2

Good morning, Melissa, I sailed with Uniworld back in 2019 out of Venice on the River Po. It ended up not being on the river but we went to all different places via the canals. It was awesome. The experience on and off the riverboat was excellent😀 That sailing was in Oct 2019. I am sure July will be much hotter.......

Cynthia, dinner sounds delicious. It is always nice to find new places and have them be really good!

Glad you had such a good time.

• Like 2

Cynthia, I’ve found the Italian grandmother cuisine is our favorite. My husband says it’s because that’s the style I cook (even tho I have zero Italian blood) I haven’t made chicken scallopini with lemon & capers in ages…hmm, once I can stand to cook again. I did put chicken cacciatore in my crockpot this morning (managed to do it before Les got up). Got some grumbles from him till he realized what was for supper (his favorite). Melody

Oh wow, my mom made chicken cacciatore when I was a kid too---and we are not Italian either LOL....

I remember it being really good. Not sure what her recipe was but it is tomato based, right?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MrToblerone said:

Thanks for the the advise re blood thinners ,he is doing daily injections and can fly after 7 days ,business class.I had the same injections last year after my surgery.

Lois we did a Uniworld river cruise and loved it ,also through France.We started in Lyon and finished in Avignon ,it was mid summer and very hot.

Happy belated birthday Cynthia.

Kat you may still be offered the Italian Villa 🙂

I can keep dreaming...

I flew back from Florence/Paris/Washington/Salt Lake in Business.  It took 2 days, but I was well prepared with the hotel at CDG overnight and all the helpful people at the airports.  Business made all the difference - no way could I do that flight in Economy.  

• Like 1

The "Italian grandmother" thing made me chuckle.  I DID have an Italian nanna-in-law.  Her handmade cavatelli was out of this world!!   I had to keep refining my lowly pomodoro sauce to compete with hers.  

Today was indeed the day from he!! at work.  Just getting everything prepped after people left and HK did their thing was enough.  At least everyone came close to our actual check in time so I didn't have to tell people we weren't ready.    But, I'm exhausted.  A big glass of Cali Red and some sushi and then I'm going to bed.  

My Italian villa owner did give me a $25 card to my grocery.  No reason.  Just being nice.   I got more jealous when I found out another owner family is going to Italy for the first time this Summer.   Sigh,  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lois R said:

Oh wow, my mom made chicken cacciatore when I was a kid too---and we are not Italian either LOL....

I remember it being really good. Not sure what her recipe was but it is tomato based, right?

Mine is exceptionally easy especially with a crockpot  can be reduced in size by using small cans & less chicken

3 boneless chicken breasts (or boneless thighs)

1 lg can tomato paste 

2 lg cans of diced tomatoes 

2 tbsp oregano & parsley

1 tbsp sugar

bell peppers & onion if you wish 

cook on low in crockpot for 6-8 hours. 

Put over Angel hair pasta (or pasta of your choosing)

terrifically easy, but tasty enough for company. Melody

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Mine is exceptionally easy especially with a crockpot  can be reduced in size by using small cans & less chicken

3 boneless chicken breasts (or boneless thighs)

1 lg can tomato paste 

2 lg cans of diced tomatoes 

2 tbsp oregano & parsley

1 tbsp sugar

bell peppers & onion if you wish 

cook on low in crockpot for 6-8 hours. 

Put over Angel hair pasta (or pasta of your choosing)

terrifically easy, but tasty enough for company. Melody

Sounds delicious that is for sure.  I have to admit, back when I was a kid Mom made hers on the bone. More like a baked chicken.......cut up in pieces. I think the sauce and extra made in Cacciatore. I could be wrong but I think it was the whole bird and I think on the bone gave it all that flavor too.

• Like 1

I decided to put a hold on the river cruise. Too much detail to go into on here but lets just say, I am waiting a couple of more months and will see where things stand at that time. Maybe later this summer or early fall. I have a TA crossing booked (has been booked for a while) for November so just re-thinking after I come back from Greece what will be best.

• Like 1

Ladies...I always enjoy lurking over here...I rarely feel like I have much to add to the conversation but today, I was speaking with DS, who is enrolled in Uni in London and graduating in July. Our travel plans for graduation are now set and DS and I were talking about places to go, things to do.

The one specific place that I know I want to eat is La Mia Mamma! If you remember that's the restaurant in London that brings in mammas from Italy to come and cook their regional homemade cuisine...featured on the Stanley Tucci show. I'm excited!

Edited to add...I ordered some sale items from Icebreaker. Kat, Melody...anyone else...have you tried them for merino wool? I was recently disappointed in the joggers I got from Woolx. I love them but they are more polyester than wool...they have a bit of a shine to them...and they aren't as stink proof as I would like for lounging clothes that I can wear on repeat. I realized my current fave lightweight shirt is Icebreaker, so I'm giving a lightweight long sleeve, another short sleeve, and a pair of joggers a go...I only have the one Icebreaker item so...fingers crossed. I hate dealing with returns but they have a nice return policy.

Edited by Anita Latte
  • Like 1

Hi Anita!!

Yeah, the joggers are different than the regular Woolx leggings.  I didn't like them, either.  But I'm still wearing and liking my leggings.  Haven't tried Icebreaker for awhile.  the shirts seemed a bit on the small side for my shoulders and boobs.  Maybe now that I'm down a couple of sizes they'd work.  

My Italian villa owner left today and going back to her villa for awhile.  I didn't fit in her luggage...  She'll be back in April.  She brought out a bottle of Brunello Sunday night for wine & cheese.  She asked if I wanted a glass - I was so unhappy that I had to decline.  Stupid work...  

Nasty snowstorm!  I started early this afternoon and I already have a good 6" in the driveway.  The drive home was interesting.  Some guy in an old Toyota, definitely NOT 4x4 and no snow tires, was in front, going about 2mph.  I swear.  At one point, he gave up and just stopped in the lane!  Went slowly around him in 1st gear and then got up to about 15mph to the bottom of the hill.  6% downgrade with about 4 inches of snow on the road was not what I wanted. At least I'm home now and have no place to have to be for 2 days.  Just shoveling the driveway multiple times and feeding my squirrel friend. 

Melody - it's coming your way!!!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

The one specific place that I know I want to eat is La Mia Mamma! If you remember that's the restaurant in London that brings in mammas from Italy to come and cook their regional homemade cuisine...featured on the Stanley Tucci show. I'm excited!

Please, please tell us all about it. I'd love to eat there too but I don't have any trips to London in the near future after being there a bunch of times in the last several years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Please, please tell us all about it. I'd love to eat there too but I don't have any trips to London in the near future after being there a bunch of times in the last several years.

I definitely will! We’re going in July so it’ll be a while. There’s actually 3 different locations in London. I want to rewatch the episode to see which one was the filming location. I feel like when I first looked it up to share with DS, there was only one.

Good morning, Anita, always nice to see you and please post on here whenever you like😀 I remember seeing that Italian place on Stanley's show and it looked like those Mamma's were having so much fun! 

23 hours ago, Lois R said:

Sounds delicious that is for sure.  I have to admit, back when I was a kid Mom made hers on the bone. More like a baked chicken.......cut up in pieces. I think the sauce and extra made in Cacciatore. I could be wrong but I think it was the whole bird and I think on the bone gave it all that flavor too.

It can be done with bone-in chicken but I’m really lazy (& hate picking out bones)

Anita I haven’t tried Icebreaker, but I’ll give it a look. I love my Woolx leggings (wish they fit with this stupid boot, I can’t wear anything between bandage & boot, only over it)

Kat, it just started snowing here, I sat on deck yesterday with 65 temps. Of course today is my day out!  Haircut (no way I’m missing that) then my first lunch out since first foot surgery. Meeting good friends, been really anticipating this. Les said if the scooter can’t make it through the snow he’ll carry me in!  My hero!!  Melody

• Like 1

I have two pairs of leggings...one I love...one I hate. I should have just returned the ones I dislike but circumstances got crazy and I missed the return window. The Stella leggings are great. And those are the ones I like. But I also got the McKenna style...I got that fun olive color...but for whatever reason...unlike my black Stellas...those olive McKenna's have serious camel toe. I wanted to get slimmer fit joggers to get away from the whole leggings look...I think joggers are more flattering on my curves...but as I said...too much polyester...I should have paid more attention to fabric content. I'll report on the Icebreaker.  One main reason I wear the one top I have so much is that it has a scoop neck and the crew neck doesn't seem quite as close fitting on the neck in the photos...I really dislike a crew neck and I feel like so many of the Woolx styles are crew neck...

• Like 1

Woke up to 20" of snow!!!!!   And it is still snowing.   When I got home last night, my trash can was on it's side at the entrance to my driveway.  I got out of the car to grab it a move it out of the way - I sunk up the the middle of my calves!  

It's going to be an interesting day.

• Like 1

Well, had to go grocery shopping and Noosa was on sale😀.....the 4 packs were buy 1, get one free and the singles were 2 for 3.00.........I got multiple. and 1 of them was that caramel to try since it is a small size.

Sorry about all that bad weather for those of you out west. Somehow we are in a warm spell......in the 80s this week😮....not normal for February.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I have two pairs of leggings...one I love...one I hate. I should have just returned the ones I dislike but circumstances got crazy and I missed the return window. The Stella leggings are great. And those are the ones I like. But I also got the McKenna style...I got that fun olive color...but for whatever reason...unlike my black Stellas...those olive McKenna's have serious camel toe. I wanted to get slimmer fit joggers to get away from the whole leggings look...I think joggers are more flattering on my curves...but as I said...too much polyester...I should have paid more attention to fabric content. I'll report on the Icebreaker.  One main reason I wear the one top I have so much is that it has a scoop neck and the crew neck doesn't seem quite as close fitting on the neck in the photos...I really dislike a crew neck and I feel like so many of the Woolx styles are crew neck...

I'm the opposite of you.  I look terrible in joggers.  I have some, but just not enough to wear all the time.  Stella is my favorite.  If you want something lightweight and not wool, try on a pair of Vuori Performance Joggers.  I ended up sizing down on them to get them to fit not-so-baggy on me.  

I did a half hour of shoveling my little driveway and I'm halfway done.  The snow was mostly mid-calf high, but got up to knee-high on one side.  The only saving grace is that the snow isn't heavy, making it easier to shovel.  My shoulder hurts right now, so giving it a rest.  

Watching my squirrel friend playing on my screen door and then jumping around on the snow-covered trees - he is having a great time.  

Melody - be careful outside!  We don't want you falling off the scooter and breaking something!  Having to wear a cast/boot/etc, in the Winter is not fun.  

• Like 1