New Xciting Deals Mar 17-23

Quo Vadis?

7 minutes ago, Argo. said:

Despite announcements that certain ports are closed, itineraries on sale are now posted for April and May sailings:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Exciting_Deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

I checked the April 30 cruise, 11 day Alaska on the Millennium a couple of months ago. It had great pricing ($100 p.p. pd for Aqua not including taxes and fees). For several reasons I didn't book it.

Just for kicks I checked it this morning, exact same price. I went category by category to check on availability of cabins. From what I could find out, the Millennium has 1097 cabins and the total number of cabins available was 623, a 43% occupancy. Whatever happened to "Dynamic pricing", or does that only come into play to raise the price?

If this cruise sails, which I seriously doubt, the passengers should get some terrific service, and all kinds of space and options. Who knows, probably even seats at the Martini Bar at peak times.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I checked the April 30 cruise, 11 day Alaska on the Millennium a couple of months ago. It had great pricing ($100 p.p. pd for Aqua not including taxes and fees). For several reasons I didn't book it.

Just for kicks I checked it this morning, exact same price. I went category by category to check on availability of cabins. From what I could find out, the Millennium has 1097 cabins and the total number of cabins available was 623, a 43% occupancy. Whatever happened to "Dynamic pricing", or does that only come into play to raise the price?

If this cruise sails, which I seriously doubt, the passengers should get some terrific service, and all kinds of space and options. Who knows, probably even seats at the Martini Bar at peak times.

If we KNOW as a FACT that ALL Canada cruise ports are closed until July 1st which means this cruise CAN"T go to Victoria or ANY OTHER Canadian Port on May 10th how would you expect this cruise to sail if it HAS to go to a foreign port?

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

If we KNOW as a FACT that ALL Canada cruise ports are closed until July 1st which means this cruise CAN"T go to Victoria or ANY OTHER Canadian Port on May 10th how would you expect this cruise to sail if it HAS to go to a foreign port?

If you read the whole post, I said "If this cruise sails, "which I seriously doubt it", repeat in case you missed it again "I seriously doubt it". The government could rescind the law about going to a foreign port, so it would be possible. But on this last point "I seriously doubt it".

4 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

If you read the whole post, I said "If this cruise sails, "which I seriously doubt it", repeat in case you missed it again "I seriously doubt it". The government could rescind the law about going to a foreign port, so it would be possible. But on this last point "I seriously doubt it".

The government is not going to rescind the law because they really don't want cruiselines to sail UNTIL the virus is under control. I mean from the President's mouth he really didn't want to allow the passengers from the diamond princess back into the country. I don't bring that point up to bash the President but to make the point that because of the environment of a cruiseship it fosters the spread and transmission of the virus. 

• Thanks 2

Yup,  still no word on our May sailing (which obviously can't go)  as it sails from Vancouver.   Our other cruise which was scheduled to leave next Friday was very promptly cancelled.  Guessing that they have a lot to deal with right now & are prioritizing by sail date.   Hoping to have some sort of news or offer soon.   Sadly cancelling our Vancouver hotel reservation & private excursions.  :(

3 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The government is not going to rescind the law because they really don't want cruiselines to sail UNTIL the virus is under control. I mean from the President's mouth he really didn't want to allow the passengers from the diamond princess back into the country. I don't bring that point up to bash the President but to make the point that because of the environment of a cruiseship it fosters the spread and transmission of the virus. 

Kwopot -

A couple thoughts.

Some elected officials are not really politicians in that they sometimes get their mouths in gear before their brain is in gear.

What law are you referring to?  Canada has no law closing their ports. It is a decision by the Ministry of Transports and Health that could - am not suggesting it will - be cancelled quickly.

1 minute ago, az_tchr said:

that could - am not suggesting it will - be cancelled quickly.

Prime Minister of Canada announced that it will be “at least” until July 1, 2020.   The entire season could be kaputz.

23 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I agree with you to most of it. All I'm saying is that it is possible, not that it's going to happen. Stranger things have happened.

I don't think the president would have the final say, I think it would be congress since it is a law. He can veto whatever he wants, another vote by Congress would override his veto. I don't think it would have to pass with at least 75% for it.

There are many threads on CC about cruise deals on various cruiselines for sailings less than four weeks away. While it may be fun to contemplate a cheap cruise I'm just cautioning anyone from really thinking that a cruise less than 4 weeks away will be sailing. 

Just so you know MY SITUATION,I HAD a cruise on The Quantum that was supposed to sail this Sunday from Singapore. I had a cruise on the new Virgin Scarlet Lady May 3rd that was canceled (I'm still can't cancel my airfare for that cruise without penalties so I'm just waiting) I have b2b cruises booked in June on Carnival then Celebrity Equinox, followed by a Greak islands cruise in July on NCL,follows by a cruise in November on the Apex. So I have lots of cruises lined up that will be canceled,have been cancelled,and hopefully sailing (Apex!!!).

• Thanks 1

The other point is even for discussion's sake a cruise that's sailing within 4 weeks is somehow allowed to sail why would you go when the pandemic has not subsided? I'm not talking about the fear of catching the virus but the potential for disruptions and quarantines. Remember being on a cruiseship is totally different than being on land in a hotel. We have yet to here of people being locked up in a hotel because of a suspected covid19 case. So if someone is inching to be away from home you're MUCH BETTER OFF taking a land based hotel based Vacation.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/hawaii-grants-ok-for-2-cruise-ships-to-dock-in-honolulu-but-all-must-stay-onboard.amp

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, az_tchr said:

Kwopot -

A couple thoughts.

Some elected officials are not really politicians in that they sometimes get their mouths in gear before their brain is in gear.

What law are you referring to?  Canada has no law closing their ports. It is a decision by the Ministry of Transports and Health that could - am not suggesting it will - be cancelled quickly.

For clarification purposes, this decision was made by Cabinet. It was then announced by the Minister of Transport, whose ministry is responsible for the implementation of the ban. There is no requirement for separate legislation, as the existing Canada Marine Act provides the necessary authority to make regulations respecting "the navigation and use by ships of the navigable waters in a port, including the mooring, berthing and loading and unloading of ships and equipment for the loading and unloading of ships".

I understand that X and other cruise lines still have a business to run... while I personally suspect it will be June (or later) before a cruise sails with paying passengers there is no harm in them selling cabins “just in case”.  My concern is that some naive people will book these cruises fully expecting to go on them with no issues.

I’m dealing with this issue on a week by week basis.  I’m following my government’s request and self isolating.  I’m lucky I can work from home.

Take care and be safe.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Yup,  still no word on our May sailing (which obviously can't go)  as it sails from Vancouver.   Our other cruise which was scheduled to leave next Friday was very promptly cancelled.  Guessing that they have a lot to deal with right now & are prioritizing by sail date.   Hoping to have some sort of news or offer soon.   Sadly cancelling our Vancouver hotel reservation & private excursions.  😞

We are in the same boat. Waiting for Celebrity and Air New Zealand to cancel so we can get full refunds. Just checked our first Airbnb booking and final payment is April 22nd, hopefully they will push out the April 14th date for free cancellation into May.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, peter1956 said:

We are in the same boat. Waiting for Celebrity and Air New Zealand to cancel so we can get full refunds. Just checked our first Airbnb booking and final payment is April 22nd, hopefully they will push out the April 14th date for free cancellation into May.

Yes, at this point I would feel much more comfortable with a refund, rather than a FCC :(

7 hours ago, Argo. said:

Despite announcements that certain ports are closed, itineraries on sale are now posted for April and May sailings:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Exciting_Deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

Also interesting to see that there are no single supplements shown on the Xciting deals! 

18 hours ago, gimletgal said:

Also interesting to see that there are no single supplements shown on the Xciting deals! 

Well, that could be a screwup by the great communicators at Celebrity.  I find it interesting that my April 25 and May 2 cruises on the Summit which are scheduled to leave from a port which is closed (San Juan) and denied docking to the Summit the last time it returned are on the list.

• Thanks 1