P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

On 4/24/2020 at 9:49 AM, kalos said:

Some jobs are harder to do working from home .

Anyone looking at cruises for next year 2021 or even 2022 come to that?
(booked cruise for jan .21 last year but not sure this will go ahead) had to cancel cruise for July this year.  

Eager to book cruise, something to look forward to.

We've a cruise already booked for October 2021 that was booked last year, and one for November this year. Not cancelled yet, still hoping. If it is cancelled by P&O we've been looking at at a couple to Norway in March or April. 

Avril 

We have one booked for this October.  Won't be paying the final balance on that.  And 2 for next year.  However without the Government saying that over 70s can cruise and also an affordable and comprehensive insurance, I won't be going anywhere.

I've been getting a little frustrated over the last few days. I've  just been looking through the threads and it's all been a little depressing. Nothing at all to lighten the mood. So I'll leave for a while before my usual optimistic side disappears into the sunset 🌞 never to be seen again. Everyone keep well and stay safe.

Avril 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I've been getting a little frustrated over the last few days. I've  just been looking through the threads and it's all been a little depressing. Nothing at all to lighten the mood. So I'll leave for a while before my usual optimistic side disappears into the sunset 🌞 never to be seen again. Everyone keep well and stay safe.

Avril 

Don't blame you Avril.. 

Keep safe. 

Andy 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

+1 :classic_smile:

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 7:56 PM, jeanlyon said:

Well today we should have been embarking Arcadia for a cruise to the Med.  No matter.  Our courtyard windows are now freshly painted and so is the front door.  The brass has been polished.  So glad we took advantage of the wonderful weather, as it is due to rain on Tuesday.  Just time for me to get the gloss paint on the front door tomorrow.

Working at home each morning for the Harbour Office and afternoons are my own, so I do some DIY and walk the dog.  Life is not that bad I'm glad to say.

Did take a sneeky visit to my best friend after shopping at Tesco on Wednesday.  We kept 2 metres apart and had coffee in the garden.  It was lovely and I felt very norty.

Is your friend fully recovered now, Jean?

• Haha 1

I’m not joining in with the politics even if I have strong views on it, it just gets threads closed down. So on to some trivia.

Well predictably enough the good weather here has not lasted. It is now cold and raining cats and dogs again so it’s back to indoor activities in this part of the world at least.

I have made a rather large Victoria sponge and there is homemade raspberry jam from last year so at least there is a sweet treat for this afternoon which will make my OH very happy.

With all this time on my hands I have been trying out a number of new recipes, things I wouldn’t have tackled before. Most have worked well, except the meringues made from chickpeas water which were frankly horrible!

Anyone found any interesting new recipes during lockdown?

• Like 1

We enjoyed this one, modified after reading the comments 

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spicy-beef-stew-beans-peppers

Not a curry, not a chilli, not a tagine, not a stew but a tasty variation on a beef casserole.

I increased the cumin by x3 or 4,  reduced the stock and substituted maple syrup for black treacle.

A bonus is that it’s a one-pot meal, with crusty bread if you need more carb.  I made it in the slow cooker.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

We enjoyed this one, modified after reading the comments 

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spicy-beef-stew-beans-peppers

Not a curry, not a chilli, not a tagine, not a stew but a tasty variation on a beef casserole.

I increased the cumin by x3 or 4,  reduced the stock and substituted maple syrup for black treacle.

A bonus is that it’s a one-pot meal, with crusty bread if you need more carb.  I made it in the slow cooker.

That sounds really interesting. I will give it a try, thanks.

20 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

With all this time on my hands I have been trying out a number of new recipes, things I wouldn’t have tackled before. Most have worked well, except the meringues made from chickpeas water which were frankly horrible!

Anyone found any interesting new recipes during lockdown?

I've been making red wine jam, it's delicious with cheese (works very well in a brie panini) cold meats, adds a nice extra touch to gravy/casseroles, I've even had it on a hot crumpet. We were given a couple of bottles of red wine for Christmas but OH cant drink it, it triggers his migraines and I'm not keen unless it's in jam form.

There's a few recipes online but I very simply mix 375ml red wine in a saucepan with 200g of jam sugar, warm until sugar has dissolved then boil for approx. 20 minutes until reduced. I boil mine until it gets to 220F/105C. One batch set a bit too much but I just warm what I need. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I've been making red wine jam, it's delicious with cheese (works very well in a brie panini) cold meats, adds a nice extra touch to gravy/casseroles, I've even had it on a hot crumpet. We were given a couple of bottles of red wine for Christmas but OH cant drink it, it triggers his migraines and I'm not keen unless it's in jam form.

There's a few recipes online but I very simply mix 375ml red wine in a saucepan with 200g of jam sugar, warm until sugar has dissolved then boil for approx. 20 minutes until reduced. I boil mine until it gets to 220F/105C. One batch set a bit too much but I just warm what I need. 

That sounds brilliant. I will give that a go as we love cheese and it would make a nice change from pickle.

I have copied your recipe, thanks for that. Lovely idea.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Thanks - I’ll give that a go as well. Garage full of the stuff bought when we were both able to drink alcohol!

• Like 1

The garden has been getting some serious attention over the last few weeks, all raised beds now prepared in readiness for taking runner bean and french bean plants currently growing in greenhouse. Last of beetroot pulled, my wife is planning to make a beetroot and chocolate cake with it. Spent last week in conjunction with my neighbour removing the ivy & Virginia creeper from our shared brick garden wall, it’s 8 to 10’ high on his side, 4’ on my side, social distancing easy to achieve.

Good to see rain, saves me have to water borders before sowing seed, going for the wildflower/cottage garden theme this year. Normally buy plug plants in late Feb, but this year as we were meant to be away for most of May didn’t bother, was going to buy bedding plants in return as April is too early and if dry there was the question of who would water them. 

My wife has made 24 jars of marmalade, lots of soup, some curries so we won’t starve. 

On top of all this I have to sort out my mother’s estate as she died at the beginning of the mother aged 91, not from the virus thank goodness, just frailty and dementia. She loved her cruises and I have been going through her photo collection over the last 3 years, the one that sticks out is her trip to New York on Concorde and return on the QE2.

My next job is tackling the stuff in the loft,that will be fun.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks - I’ll give that a go as well. Garage full of the stuff bought when we were both able to drink alcohol!

Have you got some decent brands in there Harry? Or some cheaper stuff bought in bulk?

Genuine question, I don't have great knowledge of specific vintages but I am very interested in learning more about wine in general and love reading about it. I've almost finished Tony Laithwatie's autobiography which I've found really enjoyable.

One of my great pleasures is going to dinner and choosing a bottle from the wine list to try pair it with our food choices (and also to see the "recommended" wines on the menu).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’m sure many of us can help you dispose of what you don’t need. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm now back in the routine of trying to home school our son. I'm making plenty of mistakes along the way (like expecting him to power through a solid hour of maths fractions questions for example) but I'm learning all the time and would imagine a lot of parents are in the same position. It's a daily challenge trying to give him enough work but not too much, and trying to make it interesting but not too easy (or too hard). As my dad was a teacher and my sister still is I've always had the utmost respect for that profession and if anything it has increased over the last few weeks.

We're lucky to have a decent garden and with the good weather the trampoline has seen plenty of action recently. We can never get the grass to grow underneath the trampoline so after a lot of research looking for solutions we have decided to dig it out and plant a shady meadow under it. After a few weeks there are signs of growth so here are a couple of "before" photos and hopefully I'll be able to post some lovely wild flower pictures in a few weeks.

By the way, a cricket fan friend suggested that the second photo looks like a turning wicket at Taunton! 

IMG_0860.JPG

IMG_0861.JPG

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Have you got some decent brands in there Harry? Or some cheaper stuff bought in bulk?

Genuine question, I don't have great knowledge of specific vintages but I am very interested in learning more about wine in general and love reading about it. I've almost finished Tony Laithwatie's autobiography which I've found really enjoyable.

One of my great pleasures is going to dinner and choosing a bottle from the wine list to try pair it with our food choices (and also to see the "recommended" wines on the menu).

Sorry, but it’s all stuff that came from supermarkets, mostly Aldi. At best it will be drinkable, at worst toilet cleaner.  Some of it’s better quality and keepable, but not a lot.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sorry, but it’s all stuff that came from supermarkets, mostly Aldi. At best it will be drinkable, at worst toilet cleaner.  Some of it’s better quality and keepable, but not a lot.

To be fair Aldi (& Lidl) sell some good wines these days.

I was hoping you might have a sneaky 1947 Chateau Cheval Blanc (with a story behind it) hidden away for a rainy day!

23 minutes ago, DamianG said:

To be fair Aldi (& Lidl) sell some good wines these days.

I was hoping you might have a sneaky 1947 Chateau Cheval Blanc (with a story behind it) hidden away for a rainy day!

If only!  It's all very drinkable but uninspirational £5-£7 a bottle stuff.  A little 1976 Auslese left, but that's not going anywhere near a jamjar!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1