P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I'm more into fiction, so here are a few:

Mick Herron  - the Jackson Lamb series.

Philip Kerr - the Bernie Gunther series

Any book by Charles Cumming

Stuart MacBride - the Logan McRae series

Don Winslow - the Cartel trilogy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

If it wasn't already full😁

Do you think she'll still be talking to us later?😟

Avril

She's just checking the site and noticed that you have all been sullying my good name behind my back  ............  I was wondering why my ears were burning !  Love the cartoon - where can I get this to send to friends ... classic.

😘

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

She's just checking the site and noticed that you have all been sullying my good name behind my back  ............  I was wondering why my ears were burning !  Love the cartoon - where can I get this to send to friends ... classic.

😘

Click on photo.

Screenshot it from here then share with WhatsApp,email,text.

Graham.

Screenshot_20200912_133907_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Screenshot it from here then share with WhatsApp,email,text.

Graham.

Screenshot_20200912_133907_com.android.chrome.jpg

P.S. I don't look as elegant as that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Am going to have to put that on my screen saver .... just so funny. 🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

While I am reading on the news that the weather in the South is very good we are getting decidedly autumnal up here. It is cold with icy blasts of wind which are blowing the apples and leaves off the trees. The annual autumn colour display is however some compensation, glorious firey reds and oranges.

Having just watched the forecast for your part of the world I see exactly what you mean.  Best stay in and keep warm and dry till it passes over!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I've hardly read anything this year. 

In an average year I normally read a book a week, but this year, so far I've read about 10.  I found that I couldn't concentrate on books when lockdown started, and I haven't had any cruises, which is when I really  get stuck into my reading. 

I normally read fiction  - historical fiction, crime and 'time slip' (two interconnecting stories, one in the present day and one in the past - Barbara Erskine's 'Lady of Hay' is  a fine example of this genre)

I’m the same

In ‘normal’ times I would have loved the opportunity/excuse to read 

Now, even my one-a-month book club book has become a bind 🙄

For what it’s worth I loved Left Hand of Darkness and Cloud Atlas, fiction which might suit.

Paul Theroux, Deep South , is a superb travel/sociology book, which helps explain why the US is where it is just now.  (Not as heavy as it sounds)

Edited by Eddie99
  • Like 3

quell error

In a bad mood, got my flu jab appointment Monday, not any more, the chemist phoned and emailed saying they had to cancel for 'technical reason' and please rebook. Rebooked and soonest appointment now in October. Technical reasons my nether regions. I reckon they have discovered there is not enough vaccine now that the eligibility group has been extended. 😟😨😱

edit - just checked online, only enough vaccine for 75% of those eligible

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

quell error

In a bad mood, got my flu jab appointment Monday, not any more, the chemist phoned and emailed saying they had to cancel for 'technical reason' and please rebook. Rebooked and soonest appointment now in October. Technical reasons my nether regions. I reckon they have discovered there is not enough vaccine now that the eligibility group has been extended. 😟😨😱

Same shambles down here Dave... 

Michelle, who has a terminal illness and is extremely vulnerable, cannot get hers until mid October.. Me, who has never needed it before and a relatively healthy 54 year old, can have one this week... 

Andy 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Michelle, who has a terminal illness and is extremely vulnerable, cannot get hers until mid October.. Me, who has never needed it before and a relatively healthy 54 year old, can have one this week... 

Andy 

Here,at least, chemists seem to have supplies, I heard the chemist offer a walk in one to a man yesterday.. would Michelle not be allowed to have one of those?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, indiana123 said:

Here,at least, chemists seem to have supplies, I heard the chemist offer a walk in one to a man yesterday.. would Michelle not be allowed to have one of those?

Our local chemist cannot offer a date sooner than the Doctors, we did try. 

They wont even let us swap as for some reason, I am given priority because I once had tests for breathing problems, despite them coming back negative... 

Andy 

15 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm more into fiction, so here are a few:

Mick Herron  - the Jackson Lamb series.

Philip Kerr - the Bernie Gunther series

Any book by Charles Cumming

Stuart MacBride - the Logan McRae series

Don Winslow - the Cartel trilogy.

Your ‘few’ seem to amount to quite a lot but I agree with you on Stuart MacBride although they have become a bit formulaic in my opinion.

Crime fiction is my preference but especially by Scandinavian authors and set in Norway, Sweden or Denmark. Henning Mankell was a brilliant author. The Wallander series is excellent, so much better than the TV versions that miss so much out, (should be read in the order of writing rather than order of translation) and his other novels are even better in my opinion. As a genre, they can be quite violent but they portray a way of life that is more attractive than here in UK or in USA, and there is very little of the bad language that seems to run through similar styles of writing from some other countries.

9 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Your ‘few’ seem to amount to quite a lot but I agree with you on Stuart MacBride although they have become a bit formulaic in my opinion.

Crime fiction is my preference but especially by Scandinavian authors and set in Norway, Sweden or Denmark. Henning Mankell was a brilliant author. The Wallander series is excellent, so much better than the TV versions that miss so much out, (should be read in the order of writing rather than order of translation) and his other novels are even better in my opinion. As a genre, they can be quite violent but they portray a way of life that is more attractive than here in UK or in USA, and there is very little of the bad language that seems to run through similar styles of writing from some other countries.

For Scandi writers, I enjoy Jo Nesbo and the Harry Hole series.

I should also have mentioned the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly.

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

quell error

edit - just checked online, only enough vaccine for 75% of those eligible

My friend is a practice manager in a GP’s surgery, and she was saying that the chemists get the first batches of vaccine, so it’s not a good sign that the chemists are already having problems.

My husband, as an over 65, has booked his jab for 24th Sept. As an under 65, I have to wait until Oct/Nov 

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

That is shocking Andy,  Michelle needs hers asap. Can she not get hers done where you go?

Mrs K has hers at the chemist down the road who offered 2 weeks time but our Docs have

said both of us this Saturday morning .

Hope you get her sorted before October and hope she's keeping well .:classic_smile: 

Just read your response to Indianna ...  The worlds gone mad mate ! :classic_unsure:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Serious question Andy. Would they allow you to let Michelle have your appointment?  Another thought though, do you think that because Michelle is shielding and you are the one leaving the home to work, that it's the  safer option, because the only person that can pass on any infections to her is you?

Avril