P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

I see P&O have now cancelled all Caribbean sailings up to end Jan 2021 and all sailings from/to Southampton up to end Feb 2021

I got my email at 10.20am from P&O telling me our February 20th Iona Canary Islands cruise was cancelled.

5 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I've heard good things about The Bridge so will give it a go at some point, thank you for recommendation. 

Saga is a superb character. I think a new season starts soon, not to sure where. We enjoy all of the Walter presents offerings.

5 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

We have it, I keep an eye on what’s coming up, films and otherwise, but frankly there’s rarely much of interest.

BBC, Channel 4 and Film 4, with the occasional oldie from Talking Pictures (a surprisingly rich seam) more than covers our needs, but then, news apart, we only watch 2 or 3 hours a day.

You have described our viewing pattern almost exactly.

Like others, loved 'The Bridge', (and its haunting music) and also the Canadian series 'Cardinal' - bit gruesome and some scenes I watched from behind a cushion; available on iPlayer.  We have still to watch programme 3 of 'Des' shown last night, and can't wait because it's been fascinating.

I've had some good reading recommendations here, so I'll throw mine in because I don't think they have been mentioned:  Stella Rimington's Liz Carlisle spy thriller books.  Stella Rimington is a former Director General of MI5, and provides good background information in the workings of both MI5 and MI6 in her very readable novels.  They are better if read in order, although they do stand alone, and the first is called 'At Risk'.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Oh dear. There must be something in the air. I hope it doesn't get this far north.🤣

Avril

I once had a bad day .First no toilet roll, then the toilet wouldn't flush ,:classic_unsure:

I also got  banned from going back into the B&Q store.:classic_mellow:

I've been banned from the DiY store.

48 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

You have described our viewing pattern almost exactly.

Like others, loved 'The Bridge', (and its haunting music) and also the Canadian series 'Cardinal' - bit gruesome and some scenes I watched from behind a cushion; available on iPlayer.  We have still to watch programme 3 of 'Des' shown last night, and can't wait because it's been fascinating.

I've had some good reading recommendations here, so I'll throw mine in because I don't think they have been mentioned:  Stella Rimington's Liz Carlisle spy thriller books.  Stella Rimington is a former Director General of MI5, and provides good background information in the workings of both MI5 and MI6 in her very readable novels.  They are better if read in order, although they do stand alone, and the first is called 'At Risk'.

Glad we're not the only ones!  Freeview + Humax = everything we need for 2 or 3 hours TV a day, not limited to scheduled times.

I wonder how many here (if any) still subscribe to the Radio Times? 

Very much a 'niche' publication these days (as evidenced by the adverts!) but invaluable for spotting Freeview programmes and films (I refuse to accept the words 'shows' and 'movies') that would otherwise get missed.  So much more comprehensive than an EPG or any other TV schedule publication.  Well worth the price of the subscription, particularly as it helps avoid the cost of subscription TV, which is infinitely more expensive.  Red ring round the programmes for the week ahead, ten minutes with the Humax - everything for the following week sorted!  🙂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Glad we're not the only ones!  Freeview + Humax = everything we need for 2 or 3 hours TV a day, not limited to scheduled times.

I wonder how many here (if any) still subscribe to the Radio Times? 

Very much a 'niche' publication these days (as evidenced by the adverts!) but invaluable for spotting Freeview programmes and films (I refuse to accept the words 'shows' and 'movies') that would otherwise get missed.  So much more comprehensive than an EPG or any other TV schedule publication.  Well worth the price of the subscription, particularly as it helps avoid the cost of subscription TV, which is infinitely more expensive.  Red ring round the programmes for the week ahead, ten minutes with the Humax - everything for the following week sorted!  🙂

Yes still subscribe and like you, we highlight our viewing for the week.  All recorded so we can watch when convenient.  We have had a Netflix subscription though (a welcome Christmas gift) and wouldn't have imagined how much we value it or how many really good series we've enjoyed.  Of course because of the restrictions this year, we've watched far more than usual.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

We have had a Netflix subscription though (a welcome Christmas gift) and wouldn't have imagined how much we value it or how many really good series we've enjoyed.  Of course because of the restrictions this year, we've watched far more than usual.

I don't know how we'd manage without Netflix either. We only watch 2 or 3 hours a night, andwithout Netflix we'd be reduced to just shouting at the couples  on "Place in the Sun" with their small budgets and stupid aspirations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Local lockdown starts tonight in the North East.

As pubs have been heaving and people not wearing masks in shops it doesn't surprise me.

Just make sure you keep doing what you you have been doing Graham.

That's keeping you and your good lady safe.:classic_smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Local lockdown starts tonight in the North East.

As pubs have been heaving and people not wearing masks in shops it doesn't surprise me.

Doesn't surprise my elder daughter either, who lives in Newcastle. Gather from her they've imposed the same restrictions on the whole of Northumberland, which seems to have few cases.

• Like 2

There are a lot of people missing. It worries me that some of the well known names on here have simply vanished. There are people I have spoken tor many years.

Some may simply not choose to contribute while there are no cruises. Others just fade away.

To anyone who is reading and not posting, please let us know you are still well 😀

• Like 8

10 hours ago, brian1 said:

Thanks sis,we're ok,thanks to the Italian government doing things properly,what could have been a drive thru "the gates of hell" has been a comparative "life of Riley".Our BIL has been in this condition a few years now.The day before we drove here our SIL was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer,but contrary to other stories her scans and biopsies continued at Southend and Royal London hospitals and is now in the middle of her chemo course.It seems a postcode llottery with treatment.Cheers,bro.

I'm glad it won't be difficult  for you to get from Italy. I did think about that when I read your first post. Let's just hope it will be the same when you reach England. I hope your SIL's treatment is successful, and having close family around always helps. My nephews 4 brothers and 2 sisters were regular visitors along with his mum and dad. It always bucked him up and made him feel better. Be careful and stay safe.

Sis

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

There are a lot of people missing. It worries me that some of the well known names on here have simply vanished. There are people I have spoken tor many years.

Some may simply not choose to contribute while there are no cruises. Others just fade away.

To anyone who is reading and not posting, please let us know you are still well 😀

I agree with you. I've only been posting since February, but I've noticed names disappearing. It's a little worrying given the situation at the moment.

Avril

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I agree with you. I've only been posting since February, but I've noticed names disappearing. It's a little worrying given the situation at the moment.

Avril

It seems like you've been here for ever, Avril (that is a compliment, by the way).

Just wish Selbourne would reappear - I miss his fascinating posts.

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

We keep the humour in our day by watching CNN at 10 pm when Sir Trumpington does a news conference 🤣

We used to do the same by occasionally watching Fox News before Sky pulled it - never seen anything like it; unintentionally hugely entertaining.

• Like 2