P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

13 minutes ago, kalos said:

Hope you had a good Birthday and congrats on 45th Anniversary spent in a nice hotel.:classic_biggrin:

Why do English hotels try and palm you off with foreign food like  Cote de Beouf ?:classic_unsure:

I would have asked for a nice juicy Rib steak instead :classic_wink::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Beef chop doesn't have the same mystic, or margin for the restaurant. When me and my brother were living at home in the late 60's, Mum would say " what foreign muck have you bought home, Jim had Chinese. ". Curry Mum. The window then got opened. Our nearest Indian was called Samrat. That got a few comments.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Beef chop doesn't have the same mystic, or margin for the restaurant. When me and my brother were living at home in the late 60's, Mum would say " what foreign muck have you bought home, Jim had Chinese. ". Curry Mum. The window then got opened. Our nearest Indian was called Samrat. That got a few comments.

My dad, bless him, was of the generation when you ate and drank everything that is now unhealthy ----- a proper fry up, pork pie etc etc etc. I remember him asking me what the 'rabbit food' was for in my fridge when he visited ............ he was genuinely confused. It was lettuce and some carrots 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Just making me smile ------- I remember when dad worked for the dairy and he brough home yoghurts for the first time. All very posh in those days 😉

• Like 2

Something to share with you guys :classic_biggrin:

Saw this on our local news tonight. The ambulance service have been doing an amazing job 

up and down the UK. 

They have been there for me personally twice in blue light situations and for countless others 

during these covid times .

They are amazing in and out of their ambulances .... Thanks for what you do :classic_smile:

We certainly do get by with a little help from our friends in the Ambulance service :classic_love:

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Just making me smile ------- I remember when dad worked for the dairy and he brough home yoghurts for the first time. All very posh in those days 😉

Yes. Yoghurts were only available from the “ health food” store and seen as something to aid digestion or skin. Conditions rather than a standard food as they are now. The health food store was the only place to get olive oil as well.

48 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes. Yoghurts were only available from the “ health food” store and seen as something to aid digestion or skin. Conditions rather than a standard food as they are now. The health food store was the only place to get olive oil as well.

In about 1960 the only shop open on Sunday was the ABC ( airiated bread Company ). You could only get olive oil in little bottles, but never on a Sunday, unless you told them you had ear ache. It was then a medicine and ok.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, zap99 said:

In about 1960 the only shop open on Sunday was the ABC ( airiated bread Company ). You could only get olive oil in little bottles, but never on a Sunday, unless you told them you had ear ache. It was then a medicine and ok.

Putting oil in your ear... 

No wonder you have a chip on your shoulder Zapp😊

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

24 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We didn’t / don’t have Sunday trading laws in Scotland like those in England but perversely it is only in the last decade or so that shops opened in urban areas. In rural areas and islands there is still more Sunday observance. 

Until 2009 alchol could not be sold after 12.30 anywhere which meant restaurants and pubs did not open until after church services finished (now alchol can be sold from 10am but really who would want it).

At the moment with COVID restrictions there is  ritual prohibition for most of the country to discourage mixing, you can have a meal but with an orange juice!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

We didn’t / don’t have Sunday trading laws in Scotland like those in England but perversely it is only in the last decade or so that shops opened in urban areas. In rural areas and islands there is still more Sunday observance. 

Until 2009 alchol could not be sold after 12.30 anywhere which meant restaurants and pubs did not open until after church services finished (now alchol can be sold from 10am but really who would want it).

At the moment with COVID restrictions there is  ritual prohibition for most of the country to discourage mixing, you can have a meal but with an orange juice!

We went to a wedding in a hotel in Large. The evening we arrived DW asked if I wanted a drink. I'll have a single malt please. Do you want ice?. Best not to dear.😁

14 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We went to a wedding in a hotel in Large. The evening we arrived DW asked if I wanted a drink. I'll have a single malt please. Do you want ice?. Best not to dear.😁

Largs? 

single malt with ice - really! Best not to dear 😀 your Dw was spot on.

• Like 2

Thanks very much for the birthday wishes, I can honestly say back in March I couldn’t imagine I’d have a lockdown birthday in November!

Re olive oil in the ear, I remember going to my GP for the first time on my own when I was about 16/17 and being very upset when she told me off for doing that! I didn’t say anything but I wanted to say “but my mum made me” 😁The old GP when I was much younger told my mum to do it!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Thanks very much for the birthday wishes, I can honestly say back in March I couldn’t imagine I’d have a lockdown birthday in November!

Re olive oil in the ear, I remember going to my GP for the first time on my own when I was about 16/17 and being very upset when she told me off for doing that! I didn’t say anything but I wanted to say “but my mum made me” 😁The old GP when I was much younger told my mum to do it!

I still do use olive oil to soften ear wax, and it seems to work reasonably well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kalos said:

Something to share with you guys :classic_biggrin:

Saw this on our local news tonight. The ambulance service have been doing an amazing job 

up and down the UK. 

They have been there for me personally twice in blue light situations and for countless others 

during these covid times .

They are amazing in and out of their ambulances .... Thanks for what you do :classic_smile:

We certainly do get by with a little help from our friends in the Ambulance service :classic_love:

Kalos

Well said, they were there for me yesterday!

Edited by mercury7289
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Olive Oil?

You put that in your ear for earache!

I have been told by a nurse from my GP surgery in recent years to use a few drops of olive oil daily to soften ear wax before syringing.  I used the more refined stuff, but would not expect it to matter much as it is not going inside your body, just into the ear canal.

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I would not use it if had earache as there could be an infection and the skin inside my ear may be damaged.  Just my thoughts  -  I have no medical knowledge about that.

10 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yep.warm olive oil for the relief of earwax.

lard was for cooking!

I knew that,just a John McEnroe moment.Living in a region where one of the worlds best olive oil is produced,I couldn't bear it being poured in ones lughole,lol.

• Haha 1