P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

18 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Figures for past week in my LA have shown an increase in cases up from 59 new cases last week to 89 this week,

I wish all in your area well Snow Hill  I think we might be on the home run now. so please take care and keep safe. 

3 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I wish all in your area well Snow Hill  I think we might be on the home run now. so please take care and keep safe. 

Let's hope the powers that be only concentrate on hospitalisation rates, which are mainly of the young, and nor serious, rather than infection rates, which are driven by extra testing in known infection  areas. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Let's hope the powers that be only concentrate on hospitalisation rates, which are mainly of the young, and nor serious, rather than infection rates, which are driven by extra testing in known infection  areas. 

However, it’s still unwise to have a virus exponentially spreading without doing anything to check it. The more people that catch it, the more chance it has to mutate, with the risk that it mutates into something the escapes the vaccine and / or something more virulent.

Plus there’s the issue of long Covid

The powers that be need to look at the bigger picture - not just one aspect. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

However, it’s still unwise to have a virus exponentially spreading without doing anything to check it. The more people that catch it, the more chance it has to mutate, with the risk that it mutates into something the escapes the vaccine and / or something more virulent.

Plus there’s the issue of long Covid

The powers that be need to look at the bigger picture - not just one aspect. 

But sooner or later you gave to open up the economy. Keeping lock down going "just in case" is killing more people than CV19.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

But sooner or later you gave to open up the economy. Keeping lock down going "just in case" is killing more people than CV19.

Sooner or later, yes - but the overwhelming thrust of medical opinion is that it should be later. 

Not necessarily much later, but delayed enough to allow more vaccines to be given to more people, and to allow more people to reach the maximum potency point after their second jab.

The infection rate is currently doubling every 12 days and we're very clearly at the outset of a third wave. How big it is, and how damaging we don't know (and don't ignore the serious impact of Long Covid) but gambling with opening up too soon just to please lobby groups only interested in their own profits and people like Tim Martin of Wetherspoons is plain daft.  Using the word 'irreversible' was ridiculous, and that's part of the problem - it failed as always to take any account of the future, rather than the present.  We've been there before, so many times.  Let's get it right this time for once.

• Like 16

I so agree

This is like giving up a marathon 500metres from the finishing line, meaning you have to go back to the start and go through all the pain again.

We’ve done the hard part (the deadly part for too many), our lives are really pretty relaxed and comfortable now.  Children are in school, the economy is moving, though not as well as we would like and should plan for

2 weeks, or 4 weeks, in midsummer feels like a very small price to pay for the potential benefit.

We’re never going to be free if this thing, or not in my lifetime anyway.  We have to develop strategies to minimise the effects on wider society but let’s control this outbreak properly now

• Like 19

13 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I so agree

This is like giving up a marathon 500metres from the finishing line, meaning you have to go back to the start and go through all the pain again.

We’ve done the hard part (the deadly part for too many), our lives are really pretty relaxed and comfortable now.  Children are in school, the economy is moving, though not as well as we would like and should plan for

2 weeks, or 4 weeks, in midsummer feels like a very small price to pay for the potential benefit.

We’re never going to be free if this thing, or not in my lifetime anyway.  We have to develop strategies to minimise the effects on wider society but let’s control this outbreak properly now

Great description.

I absolutely agree.

Graham.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I so agree

Absolutely. If we have to wait a couple more weeks so more are jabbed then it is surely worth it.

Andrew Lloyd Webber’s stance IMO is very irresponsible. I appreciate he is trying to protect the arts, but….

• Like 13

Good morning and hope everyone's doing fine today. Friday again the 
week seems to have flown by ,must be all this nice weather we are 
having . Even I have been out to have new tyres fitted on the car.
Mrs Kalos thinks I'm going weird on her all because I said "I like the smell
 of new fitted car tyres "  Don't get me wrong I'm not going kinky in my old 
age, I just like the smell. It's not like I go about sniffing car tyres or owt, 
like that and I am not going to burst into Mrs kalos bedroom dressed as 
the  Michelin man am I ?... Or am I , who knows . I don't make a habit of it 
at £100 quid a tyre and I would rather spend my money like Graham and 
his good lady does sat gazing out to sea eating ice cream .:classic_smile:. Thats the life ! 
Old Maccy -Dee's seem to do well out of Graham & Pauline and it's a pity 
that they don't do loyalty clubs like the cruise ships do as I am sure they 
would be up there in the Comadore Burger  Club rankings with free latte's just 
for walking in the place and of course the golden chicken nugget lapel badge

at the very least and why not ? It's the least they could do for them .:classic_smile:
Believe it or not I used to eat loads of them. The double quarter pounder 
with cheese from McDonald’s holds a special place in my heart......
Mainly in the Coronary artery's. Once when I took Mrs Kalos there,

we were having a meal I found a human hair in my McDonald’s cheese burger. :classic_ohmy:
I was so surprised.... I didn’t know that they use natural ingredients.:classic_unsure:
We love eating out I once took the Mrs out  for a bite to eat at an upmarket
 burger van ...It had 4 Michelin tyres.:classic_wink: Anyway all this talk of food is making 
me feel hungry, Tea and toast beckons So you lot have a nice weekend , oh and 
stay safe everyone .:classic_love:

• Like 8
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

We’re not in lockdown and the economy is open..

It’s not a choice between a March 2020 lockdown or completely ignoring the existance of Covid and returning to our December 2019 lives.

I know the latter option is seen in many circles as ‘living with Covid’. But to truly live with Covid we need to change and adapt and realise that life is now different. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Absolutely. If we have to wait a couple more weeks so more are jabbed then it is surely worth it.

Andrew Lloyd Webber’s stance IMO is very irresponsible. I appreciate he is trying to protect the arts, but….

I think he’s more concerned about protecting the £150m or so he’s unfortunately been left with. Times are hard, and he’s reportedly lost £50m, and may have to sell, again reportedly, 6 theatres.  Must be tough.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We’re not in lockdown and the economy is open..

The whole of the hospitality sector is operating under lockdown social distancing rules.  This affects the employment of hundreds of thousands of people. The economy is nowhere near open. 

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think he’s more concerned about protecting the £150m or so he’s unfortunately been left with. Times are hard, and he’s reportedly lost £50m, and may have to sell, again reportedly, 6 theatres.  Must be tough.

What about all those people who depend on theatres for their living - not only the performers, but all the support staff, plus those working in the support industries? 

I'm sure they will appreciate your lack of concern.  

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

I think they are softening us up for an extension of 2 weeks.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

What about all those people who depend on theatres for their living - not only the performers, but all the support staff, plus those working in the support industries? 

I'm sure they will appreciate your lack of concern.  

I have every concern for all the people affected by theatre closures, and have never suggested otherwise.

I simply don’t see that as the primary reason for Lloyd Webber’s threat to break the law, and, incidentally, potentially put many lives at risk for the sake of his own profits.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The whole of the hospitality sector is operating under lockdown social distancing rules.  This affects the employment of hundreds of thousands of people. The economy is nowhere near open. 

And which would be worse? A short delay in full reopening, or another complete lockdown which might last for months?

• Like 13

Good Morning Everyone

I think I'm with Kalos on the smell of tyres! Yesterday I took my car in to have the air-con gas topped up and the smell of those tyres was gorgeous. A new perfume - eau de rubber!

I have annual leave today. I'm taking Teddy for his second post-op check and he has recovered so well I'm expecting him to be discharged. He's been very brave and has eaten like a little prince this week to reward him for his bravery.

Aater the vet visit I'm off to have my eyebrows tattoos re-done. I'm sure some of the ladies on here will have experienced the pain of the microblade slicing through the skin but it's oh so worth it when you see the finished product. Not that I'm vain of course!

Finally, I will pick up my youngest granddaughter who is staying staying for the weekend and we are going to enjoy a wonderful few days of food and football. We both adore football and are so excited about the Euros. So if anyone needs me I'll be in front of the TV. 

Have a great weekend everyone and be well and safe.

Best wishes to you all as ever. Jane.xx

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I have every concern for all the people affected by theatre closures, and have never suggested otherwise.

I simply don’t see that as the primary reason for Lloyd Webber’s threat to break the law, and, incidentally, potentially put many lives at risk for the sake of his own profits.

Only let those in who are fully vaccinated, and compulsory mask wearing for the audience. How much safer can you be? 

The evidence is clear that there is a break between Covid infections and hospitalisations.

Well we are off on a 7 night cruise on Viking Venus tomorrow. A brand new ship.

Lots of testing and safety protocols in place.

I'm so excited to be going back to sea even though there are only 2 port stops and we have to take Viking excursions so that we stay in the ships 'bubble'.

Also operating at less than 50% capacity.

Edited by Glenndale
  • Like 11

29 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The world has changed

It is irrevocably changed

We will never be as we were when we enjoyed Xmas 2019

The trick, the magic bullet, is working round that, as best we are able, using science, the law, and individual responsibility 

imo, and for what it’s worth, I think any business which depends upon a large number of individuals getting together in an enclosed space should be investing in state of the art ventilation and uv air scrubbing.  The virus spreads by aerosol.  Minimise that and we’re a good way towards having some degree of control

• Like 5

Just now, Glenndale said:

I'm so excited to be going back to sea even though there are only 2 port stops and we have to take Viking excursions so that we stay in the ships 'bubble'.

I hope you have a lovely time

Please report back - it will be very nice to hear your experiences

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Everyone

I think I'm with Kalos on the smell of tyres! Yesterday I took my car in to have the air-con gas topped up and the smell of those tyres was gorgeous. A new perfume - eau de rubber!

I have annual leave today. I'm taking Teddy for his second post-op check and he has recovered so well I'm expecting him to be discharged. He's been very brave and has eaten like a little prince this week to reward him for his bravery.

Aater the vet visit I'm off to have my eyebrows tattoos re-done. I'm sure some of the ladies on here will have experienced the pain of the microblade slicing through the skin but it's oh so worth it when you see the finished product. Not that I'm vain of course!

Finally, I will pick up my youngest granddaughter who is staying staying for the weekend and we are going to enjoy a wonderful few days of food and football. We both adore football and are so excited about the Euros. So if anyone needs me I'll be in front of the TV. 

Have a great weekend everyone and be well and safe.

Best wishes to you all as ever. Jane.xx

I hope Teddy is ok and gets discharged from the vets today.

I have never dared get my eyebrows tattooed, I would like them doing but I’m nervous of it.

I shouldn’t be, my daughter is qualified to do them, she has done quite a lot for ladies who have had chemo.

The weather here is dull and cloudy today but we are hopefully going to have better weather over the weekend. We will not be venturing far out of the garden living in Fylde and the increasing cases in Lancashire.

Have a nice weekend everyone and stay safe 

Michelle

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Never tried that!  I always have my eyebrows threaded and lightly dyed, it's strange how it lightens the mood, just having those done   .How long does it last?

Threading  v waxing,  threading not so painful but discomfort is longer.. waxing  ouch   but quick  🤣

15 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

Also operating at less than 50% capacity.

You must be so excited! Have a great time and do tell all when you get back. Jane.x

• Like 1