P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Are the walk-in centres doing boosters?  The website for ours says not, and I've heard they're turning people away. 

My husband is a steward at our local vaccination centre and although most people are booking appointments there is an option to walk in for booster or 1st or 2nd vaccinations.Some people have been turned away if it hasn't been 6 months since their second.I have had my text to say I am due my booster from tomorrow which is exactly 6 months but we are going away tomorrow so will have to wait until we return.

However in the part of Oxfordshire that my sister lives the local GP surgeries are giving booster jabs at the same time as flu jabs so it seems different health areas have different policies.My sister has been told she is likely to have to wait 7 months since her 2nd covid jab

Edited by ann141
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Wife went into our local chemist who was encouraging people to take them a month ago but yesterday reluctantly gave her a pack of 7. Apparently the system now is to go to gov.uk/get-collect-code or call 119 and then quote it or show proof when going to chemist to collect. Yet another online system to navigate.

I read somewhere that they brought the codes in earlier this month in order to prevent people using the NHS LFT for travel purposes, would seem a possible reason for the change. 

Have heard nothing about boosters for us. Hubby is due for his now and I'm due for mine three weeks later.

My eldest daughter (with MS) and my youngest son (front-line worker) have had theirs, but not sure if my youngest daughter who's a nurse has, but they all work in Truro, so a different area.

Situation at our local vaccine centre:

Pfizer walk-in this weekend Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th 9am-6pm. 1st doses for anyone 16+ and 2nd doses for anyone 17 years and 9 months+ as long as it’s been at least 8 weeks since the 1st dose. Also accepting walk-ins for booster vaccinations for those eligible - 180 days from 2nd dose and aged 50+ or work in health or social care.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ann141 said:

My husband is a steward at our local vaccination centre and although most people are booking appointments there is an option to walk in for booster or 1st or 2nd vaccinations.Some people have been turned away if it hasn't been 6 months since their second.I have had my text to say I am due my booster from tomorrow which is exactly 6 months but we are going away tomorrow so will have to wait until we return.

However in the part of Oxfordshire that my sister lives the local GP surgeries are giving booster jabs at the same time as flu jabs so it seems different health areas have different policies.My sister has been told she is likely to have to wait 7 months since her 2nd covid jab

Thanks, Ann (and to your husband too).  I had my flu + Covid this morning at the surgery, but they can't fit my wife in for her Covid until a bit after her 6 month date.  Not much turns on that (we're still shielding) so long as it's done in good time (which it will be, I'm sure) for our son's wedding later this year which we're hoping to find a way of getting her safely to.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks, Ann (and to your husband too).  I had my flu + Covid this morning at the surgery, but they can't fit my wife in for her Covid until a bit after her 6 month date.  Not much turns on that (we're still shielding) so long as it's done in good time (which it will be, I'm sure) for our son's wedding later this year which we're hoping to find a way of getting her safely to.

I hope your wife gets her covid jab soon and that you will be able to enjoy your son's wedding.I no longer have to shield thankfully as my medication has been much reduced but still apprehensive about going away tomorrow with such high number of covid cases

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I hope your wife gets her covid jab soon and that you will be able to enjoy your son's wedding.I no longer have to shield thankfully as my medication has been much reduced but still apprehensive about going away tomorrow with such high number of covid cases

Understandable, Ann - but I'm pleased you're no longer having to shield.  I won't be able to go to the wedding, sadly, unless I can get some sort of assurance via a spike protein antibody test that there are some antibodies this time round, which I suspect won't happen.

However, thanks to our daughter and her family in Yorkshire the plan is for my wife to go to the wedding in mid-December and then effectively form a fully closed bubble with the four of them (including the grandchildren she hasn't been able to cuddle since March 2020) until the end of December.  We reckon that, plus the use of lateral flow tests at the end, should enable her to return home virus-free and avoid passing anything on to me.  What a game - but well worth it to enable her to go to the wedding AND get to spend Christmas with the family!  She'll be worn out though.......

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Understandable, Ann - but I'm pleased you're no longer having to shield.  I won't be able to go to the wedding, sadly, unless I can get some sort of assurance via a spike protein antibody test that there are some antibodies this time round, which I suspect won't happen.

However, thanks to our daughter and her family in Yorkshire the plan is for my wife to go to the wedding in mid-December and then effectively form a fully closed bubble with the four of them (including the grandchildren she hasn't been able to cuddle since March 2020) until the end of December.  We reckon that, plus the use of lateral flow tests at the end, should enable her to return home virus-free and avoid passing anything on to me.  What a game - but well worth it to enable her to go to the wedding AND get to spend Christmas with the family!  She'll be worn out though.......

Sorry to hear that you won't be able to go to the wedding but hope your wife enjoys the occasion and spending time with close family.Fortunately I have been invited to have another antibody test as part of twin research so even though I will have to wait until I am home from holiday It will be reassuring to hopefully hear that I have antibodies

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Were you able to book immediately after the 6 month point, John?  

My wife's currently getting this message:

"When you are eligible to book, you will be contacted by the NHS."

And the 119 service is talking not about 6 months, but six months plus a week before they'll do anything.  Locally, people are being shunted all over the place because there's total confusion about what's going on.  A couple of 90 year olds locally have been told to go into a city pharmacy to get theirs done in the early evening - they're scared stiff.

I noticed that Javid said in the briefing earlier that, if people hadn’t received their invite one week after their 6 month anniversary, they should go ahead and book online and not wait any longer. If he’s said that, you’d hope the system is geared up to accept bookings at that point 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I noticed that Javid said in the briefing earlier that, if people hadn’t received their invite one week after their 6 month anniversary, they should go ahead and book online and not wait any longer. If he’s said that, you’d hope the system is geared up to accept bookings at that point 

I wonder whether that applies here too? I’ll have to investigate!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry - will your son be able to sort out a Zoom call, so that you will be able to watch the wedding ceremony and reception speeches live?  Obviously nothing like being there in person but better than nothing. 

We went to a wedding recently,  where a couple of "guests" were in Australia,  and by setting up a laptop, guests at the wedding could chat to those in Australia.  It worked surprisingly well.

• Thanks 1

Hi Everyone. I hope you are all well.

Everything feels a bit unsettled again at the moment doesn't it? The Covid rates are escalating, the booster rates are very sluggish (because everyone seems to be doing something different right across the country), and the mixed messages vaccine hubs are getting from NHSE confound logic.

All I can tell you from my vaccine hub is that boosters are given via booked appointment whereas first and second vaccines are at walk-in sessions. A lot of pharmacies in my area are offering the same services too. I work in a heavily populated part of London so there is quite a lot of choice for patients to choose where to attend, but I can only imagine how difficult and frustrating it must be for those who live in less poulated areas where choice is limited. 

Is this the weekend that some of you are going on the Princess cruise or have I got that wrong? 

Sue, I hope you're feeling a bit brighter now. Sorry to read you were a bit low.

Harry, that sounds like a plan for your wife to attend the wedding - a challenge but a good plan. So sorry you can't go too.

Well I've given my 6 months notice at work. I met with, and told the Partners on Monday. They were shocked but understood my reasons for why the time is now. I expected to feel euphoric after the deed was done, but I actually felt very sad and apprehensive about the future. That feeling lasted for about 2 hours when I had to evict a particularly obnoxious man who was so abusive and threatening to my receptionists and used language to make a docker blush. The time is now!.

Keep well and safe everyone. Best wishes to you all. Jane.x

• Like 14

22 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Harry - will your son be able to sort out a Zoom call, so that you will be able to watch the wedding ceremony and reception speeches live?  Obviously nothing like being there in person but better than nothing. 

We went to a wedding recently,  where a couple of "guests" were in Australia,  and by setting up a laptop, guests at the wedding could chat to those in Australia.  It worked surprisingly well.

He's sorting it, Wowzz.  And if the weather's not too cold I might even be able to drive over there (only about an hour away) and stand outside and wave, well away from everyone.

It took some persuading on my part, and the rest of the family, to get my wife to agree to the plan (because she doesn't want to leave me on my own for a fortnight over Christmas) but she agreed in the end - it makes perfect sense, and I'm more than capable of looking after myself for a few days.

28 Fray Bentos pies - what else does a man need?  🤮

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

The local CCG website says they are doing boosters, but I don’t know if it’s actually happening 

Had our invite via GP end of last week, booster booked for 2 November, 2 days after our earliest eligibility date. The walk-in clinics are planning to do boosters, but no details yet.

• Like 1

Reported that Morocco has suspended flights from and to UK with immediate effect due to our rising case numbers. As yet British Citizens are not banned from entry, but cannot fly directly to country, this may change in coming days, some friends of ours were due fly out on Friday, but have been told holiday has been cancelled. 

The question is will other countries follow suit especially after Javid’s statement today which has probably spooked them especially as their case numbers are low.

23 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

It took some persuading on my part, and the rest of the family, to get my wife to agree to the plan

I'm pleased your Wife finally agreed. Nice of you to have suggested it too.  If you are comfortable on your own that's fine. and two weeks will fly by.  I could do it if in your position just stock up with nice things.

• Like 4