P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I’d be happy for my (sparse) decorations to be gone now, but seeing as it’s the afternoon of 30 Dec it feels like they might as well stay till NYE tomorrow and possibly NYDay.  They’ll go away either the afternoon of New Years Day or the morning of 2 January.  One good thing is that the house always looks tidier and larger once they’ve gone.

Another mild, moist, murky day but at least we walked our nearly 10,000 steps without actually getting rained on, which feels like a bonus.

I’ve just taken delivery of a weighted blanket, reputed to aid sleep.  I have grown useless at solid, restful, all-night, sleep these last few years - fall asleep, exhausted at 10pm but wake, never to sleep again, at 1,2,3,4 or , if I’m lucky 5 or 6.  Has anyone  any experience of weighted blankets?  Reviews are hopeful.  I’ll let you know.

Now settling to watch last night’s Royal Institution lecture.  Seems like there’s plenty of sno … mucus around still

Edited by Eddie99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

Mine are already down apart from a few special cards and some special soft toys that come out every year.

I’ll now be glad when New Year’s Eve is over and we can start to look forward to a better year. 

🤞 Fingers crossed for a better year next year.

Have spent the day at Mum's and good portion of it wading through all the paperwork required for our cruise in January. Checking insurance, logging in and booking in online and then e-mailing to Mum to get it all printed as my printer has decided to give up the ghost🙄 Just got PCR's to order and PLF to complete for the paperwork - I think!! I also need to get a new case as P&O or Virgin destroyed mine on the return journey of my last cruise.

Our decorations, the tree and a few ornaments, will probably be put away on Monday.

Take care and stay safe.

Pam

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Has anyone  any experience of weighted blankets?

Not the weighted blankets, however, we have a heavy cotton throw that we put on the bed if nights are exceptionally cold, and I find the weight of it very comforting. I do tend to sleep more soundly when it's on the bed, so maybe a weighted blanket is the way to go.

I'm off to look at them now. 

Avril

• Like 3

A sunny start quickly turned into the endless damp, dreary day we are all used to at the moment.

Fairly quiet day starting to organise a plumber to fix my leaky flush pipe and then this afternoon went looking at laminate flooring for the hallway and dining room.

So mild - got up to 14⁰C, which will help to save some pennies on the heating bill.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Not the weighted blankets, however, we have a heavy cotton throw that we put on the bed if nights are exceptionally cold, and I find the weight of it very comforting. I do tend to sleep more soundly when it's on the bed, so maybe a weighted blanket is the way to go.

I'm off to look at them now. 

Avril

I like a heavy throw on the bed if it's very cold.  It reminds me of my northern working-class upbringing when on a bitterly cold night, once you left the room with the coal fire it was freezing (ice on the inside of the windows etc) and my mum's solution was a hot water bottle in the bed and every heavy coat in the house piled on top!

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I like a heavy throw on the bed if it's very cold.  It reminds me of my northern working-class upbringing when on a bitterly cold night, once you left the room with the coal fire it was freezing (ice on the inside of the windows etc) and my mum's solution was a hot water bottle in the bed and every heavy coat in the house piled on top!

Have you seen the Billy Connell skit about having his leg through the arm of the “eiderdown”.  It’s so funny.

Ditto re a fire in the living room only and ice on the inside of the windows.  I remember the central heating being put in when I was a teenager - absolute bliss.

• Like 5

On 12/24/2021 at 8:14 AM, brian1 said:

Hi all,just done our LFT's all OK.Picking up BIL and driving to Sevenoaks for Christmas with our daughter.We were due to do this last year but due to .GOV and SIL having cancer,we all stayed in.Our daughter,son with their families and us all drove to Canvey and exchanged presents in their garden all socially distanced and breaking the law Christmas day.SIL died on 3rd Jan and BIL has moved near us.Should be a good one this year probably with a tinge of sadness.On a lighter note our daughter said what can we have Boxing day lunch.We said turkey mash and pickles especially pickled walnuts.She's a veggie but never heard of them so I got a jar from Waitrose and taking them,TBH I don't think I've had them either.lol.Merry Christmas everyone.

You could be ok getting through France now Brian.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

I had the same sort of experience but in the South East. The back of our house faced north overlooking the Thames below about a mile away. It was lovely when Mum persuaded Dad to buy an oil-filled electric radiator for the back bedroom where I slept...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

Yip, been there -- ice on the inside of the windows and a hot water bottle that ended up burning my toes. Had to have every blanket piled up on top of me to keep me warm and then the worse bit ---- getting out of bed in a bedroom with no heating --- to go to the bathroom with no heating.

They bred 'em tough in those days 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

I’d be happy for my (sparse) decorations to be gone now, but seeing as it’s the afternoon of 30 Dec it feels like they might as well stay till NYE tomorrow and possibly NYDay.  They’ll go away either the afternoon of New Years Day or the morning of 2 January.  One good thing is that the house always looks tidier and larger once they’ve gone.

This made me laugh - exactly what we'd been saying today. Its not like me, but this year would have been happy to take them all down today, but we will wait for Jan 1st and take them down to the New Year's Day concert from Vienna. A little family tradition. Then we do a quick spring clean of the house and our living room looks HUGE ! 🙂

3 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Ours will stay up until Wednesday, I have to sort the loft out before then, too much stuff up there, need to reorganise before I put Christmas stuff back. 

I had a look at the stuff in the loft. We have cardboard boxes for things that we threw out years ago. We are going to buy some nice plastic storage boxes........perhaps🤔

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Graham. Nice to see the post Christmas diet has started off well. Pauline has peas I see.🤣

One step at a time, at least he has got two of his 5 a day (lemon & beans ):classic_wink:

I also like both kinds of British cuisine... fish AND chips.:classic_love:

Hope he and Pauline  enjoyed I know I would :classic_smile:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

I remember those times too. You must have been posh though to have a hot water bottle, I had a hot brick wrapped in an old towel.

Avril

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

That sounds familiar, although we were in Middlesex and I had a bedroom that the window never closed. Dad nailed a  plastic sheet over the window to stop the draft, but it was still cold and ice forming on the windows, and the only heating was the fire downstairs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I remember those times too. You must have been posh though to have a hot water bottle, I had a hot brick wrapped in an old towel.

Avril

I remember that we had a couple of earthenware hot water bottles, before rubber ones began to be more popular.

• Like 2

As you are all waking up to the last day of 2021 I want to thank you all for the love and care you have shared.

I am one of the silent lurkers of this thread. Because I no longer live in the UK I haven't, but once, contributed, but the solace you have given me has been immeasurable. 

I live in Victoria, BC on the west coast of Canada, but all my family is in the UK, and you, all of you, have kept me sane by talking about the good, the bad, the ugly. the fun, the heartbreak, and just everyday life (including the odd squabble). 

I just want to thank you every single one of you for being the lovely ordinary people you are. (that is a compliment) 

Extra thanks to everyone who has worked so hard to get the jabs in, even the nastiest of peoples, arms.

Cheers, heather 🥂

PS- I should add we woke to a wonderful white Christmas and have been having rare lows of -3 to -10. 

Edited by middlehaitch
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, middlehaitch said:

As you are all waking up to the last day of 2021 I want to thank you all for the love and care you have shared.

I am one of the silent lurkers of this thread. Because I no longer live in the UK I haven't, but once, contributed, but the solace you have given me has been immeasurable. 

I live in Victoria, BC on the west coast of Canada, but all my family is in the UK, and you, all of you, have kept me sane by talking about the good, the bad, the ugly. the fun, the heartbreak, and just everyday life (including the odd squabble). 

I just want to thank you every single one of you for being the lovely ordinary people you are. (that is a compliment) 

Extra thanks to everyone who has worked so hard to get the jabs in, even the nastiest of peoples, arms.

Cheers, heather 🥂

Welcome to P&O cc Heather.

I hope you had a lovely Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.

Take care.

Graham

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi there - welcome

What a lovely post!

What a beautiful part of the world you live.  Victoria is one of our all-time favourite cruise ports.  Returning to San Francisco from an Alaskan cruise on a Princess ship.  It was a British weather day - mild but murky - but notwithstanding, we had the best visit.  We mentioned to our waiter that evening how much we had enjoyed our visit and how we felt it was one of the best ports.  He was Eastern European and his response was that it was among his favourite places - “ … and believe me, I been a lotta places” 🙂

As you say - Happy and Healthy New Year wishes to all 🥂 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1