P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

A bright sunny day down here but cold and windy, although it was raining when I got up. A nice day now for getting washing dry, if I had only know it was going to clear up!!

Not a lot planned for today just the normal day to day chores to keep me busy.

Hope everyone who has been/is poorly are feeling better today and on the road to recovery.

Pam 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Wells is still a lovely place, even more popular than ever. Trouble is, that whole North Norfolk area has been discovered by the Chelsea set, and it’s changing. I’ve a friend who moved there in the 70s when it was affordable and everyone knew each other. Too many empty houses now, it’s killing the vitality of the place, and his house is now worth so much he calls it his pension scheme!

Chelsea's got a lot to answer for Harry.Any of those Olithingy peeps there?

58 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Wells is still a lovely place, even more popular than ever. Trouble is, that whole North Norfolk area has been discovered by the Chelsea set, and it’s changing. I’ve a friend who moved there in the 70s when it was affordable and everyone knew each other. Too many empty houses now, it’s killing the vitality of the place, and his house is now worth so much he calls it his pension scheme!

Could not be more true Harry. The first house I rented as a holiday let in Wells had just been bought by a lovely young couple living in tied housing on a farm. They paid £49,500 in 1996, they sold it in 2007 for over £350,000 and bought a pub. The original house actually sold recently for over £900,000. Wells is a lovely place but full of coffee shops and up market shops and always heaving. Holt is not as expensive but rapidly getting that way. Again lovely individual shops but you need a lot of cash to buy here. My own house which admittedly I bought at a good price and spent a lot on it has doubled in value in 3 years. My neighbours house sold ages ago but no sign of the barristers from London who have bought it as a weekend place as their children are all at Gresham school. Information passed on by the estate agent when he came to do an updated valuation for me as he sold it. Already there is no parking after about 9am and its not the season yet. Thankfully I can walk as I live in the centre many can't.

50 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Could not be more true Harry. The first house I rented as a holiday let in Wells had just been bought by a lovely young couple living in tied housing on a farm. They paid £49,500 in 1996, they sold it in 2007 for over £350,000 and bought a pub. The original house actually sold recently for over £900,000. Wells is a lovely place but full of coffee shops and up market shops and always heaving. Holt is not as expensive but rapidly getting that way. Again lovely individual shops but you need a lot of cash to buy here. My own house which admittedly I bought at a good price and spent a lot on it has doubled in value in 3 years. My neighbours house sold ages ago but no sign of the barristers from London who have bought it as a weekend place as their children are all at Gresham school. Information passed on by the estate agent when he came to do an updated valuation for me as he sold it. Already there is no parking after about 9am and its not the season yet. Thankfully I can walk as I live in the centre many can't.

It’s a great place to live, but what we’re talking about here is destroying villages. Very sad to see what’s happening, and it’s making great chunks of the country inaccessible to local people. Cornwall, Suffolk, Norfolk, even parts of Somerset around Bruton now.

I worry about our young people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

You could be describing the Llŷn Peninsula too, unfortunately. 

On 3/30/2022 at 11:31 AM, Peanut006 said:

Glad you are feeling better. Like your dogs our Cavalier will not want to go out today as it is raining and her and rain don’t go together. 
I am not feeling great today, started with a cold  yesterday, feel worse today, no taste or smell but negative test this morning. Just going to have a hot lemon drink as they always manage to make me feel a bit better.

Take care everyone and stay safe 

Michelle 

Oh no hope you get to go, hopefully it’s just a bad cold and not you know what. So many people getting ill again now - in my job people are cancelling lots of appointments again.

My friend was telling me yesterday her 84 year old dad has had it twice now but it’s been like a bad cold.

I’m getting super paranoid now in the build up to my cruise! The stress is not worth it I don’t think!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

What’s the dining situation on Britannia. Got a select fare so haven’t been able to choose. 
will they tell us if we are sharing etc? 
not sure anyone will want to be with us with kids. 
Or is the app still going and we can say how many there is of us. 

I thought you had to stay in your family group so you should get a table for 4 (?)

I booked two theatre trips today for Britannia, still hard to get excited though! The rumour is we can book the Limelight tomorrow!

7 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I thought you had to stay in your family group so you should get a table for 4 (?)

I booked two theatre trips today for Britannia, still hard to get excited though! The rumour is we can book the Limelight tomorrow!

Howd you boom the theatre. 

1 minute ago, Vampiress88 said:

Howd you boom the theatre. 

It comes up on the ‘entertainment’ bit on the personaliser - we were told 31st March and that’s when it popped up! When I clicked on entertainment it said ‘you’ll be able to book from 31st March’ and it worked. 3 times, 6.45, 8.30 and 10.30.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Oh no hope you get to go, hopefully it’s just a bad cold and not you know what. So many people getting ill again now - in my job people are cancelling lots of appointments again.

My friend was telling me yesterday her 84 year old dad has had it twice now but it’s been like a bad cold.

I’m getting super paranoid now in the build up to my cruise! The stress is not worth it I don’t think!

Paulines hairdresser said one of her neighbours said he was isolating because he had covid but he was just on his way to Aldi for some shopping when she spoke to him.

Unbelievable!!!

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Paulines hairdresser said one of her neighbours said he was isolating because he had covid but he was just on his way to Aldi for some shopping when she spoke to him.

Unbelievable!!!

Hmm doesn’t sound like he’s isolating! 
Unfortunately I have to attend a course for work just before we go away so that’s annoying otherwise I could have stayed at home all week! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I am feeling so much better this morning. Tested negative again, sniffles nearly stopped, got taste and smell back. Think it was def just a cold thank goodness. 
Hope everyone who is feeling ill feels better soon. 
It has been a cold but sunny day here, daughter who lives in Halifax said they had loads of snow 

Michelle

• Like 9

Masks not required here now but everyone is still wearing them,I have not seen a single person without one.Good news,got some grapes today in a place could Eurospin,a budget supermarket but our bigger ones could learn from their displays and choice.

22 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Hmm doesn’t sound like he’s isolating! 
Unfortunately I have to attend a course for work just before we go away so that’s annoying otherwise I could have stayed at home all week! 

Might be worth getting hold of a FFP3 mask, maybe? They’re highly effective for the wearer, and relatively inexpensive and accessible now. Not exactly cheap, but affordable.

• Like 2

Snow showers this morning and sunny with clods this afternoon. I have had a fun day trying to submit a British Gas meter reading, no luck so far and I can't even log into my account. 😠

Thinking of checking out a MSC cruise but the web site is not much fun so I will try my usual TA

18 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I am feeling so much better this morning. Tested negative again, sniffles nearly stopped, got taste and smell back. Think it was def just a cold thank goodness. 
Hope everyone who is feeling ill feels better soon. 
It has been a cold but sunny day here, daughter who lives in Halifax said they had loads of snow 

Michelle

Good news 😊 - not the snow! It’s very cold here in Kent but sunny was raining hard this morning. Sleety/snow forecast tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Nothing would shock me having worked with children for over 30 years! The things they come out with!! 

Don't I know it!🙄 Taking my 4 year old daughter to town one day, and a rather portly gent got on the bus. As he walked past us to a seat, my daughter in a loud whisper said' Mummy, is that man having a baby'? Oh how I wished that floor could have opened up😳

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

It has been a very mixed day here in Bolton. Cold but sunny this morning then we had light snow showers. Very dark sky up to half an hour ago now very sunny again.

This morning I booked a cruise on Azura for the end of Feb/March 2024 going to the Canaries. It’s the first time we have flown to a cruise in the Canaries as we usually go from Southampton, as we are for our Iona cruise next Feb. I booked through our usual TA and got a cabin on C deck which is our favourite. I also got a discount on the P&O price and an additional £100 OBC. Even though it is a long way off, still very pleased to have it booked.

Off to a lovely restaurant in neighbouring Horwich tonight. My daughter-in-law gave us a nice gift voucher for it for Christmas so really forward to it. Having a taxi so we can share a bottle of wine. Pre-Covid we used to dine out quite regularly and we have had a few lunches out but this is our fist evening one. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Snow showers this morning and sunny with clods this afternoon. I have had a fun day trying to submit a British Gas meter reading, no luck so far and I can't even log into my account. 😠

Thinking of checking out a MSC cruise but the web site is not much fun so I will try my usual TA

Mmm! MSC Preziosa next Feb from Southampton 7 nights Balcony for single occupancy £1658 including all gratuities and premium drinks package

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Might be worth getting hold of a FFP3 mask, maybe? They’re highly effective for the wearer, and relatively inexpensive and accessible now. Not exactly cheap, but affordable.

I will look into it thanks Harry although hubby is at work everyday so I’m at risk that way. 

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I have just ordered some of those masks to wear on the plane from that well know rainforest site( don’t think I am allowed to name it on here?). Two masks were £7.46

Michelle

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

It has been a very mixed day here in Bolton. Cold but sunny this morning then we had light snow showers. Very dark sky up to half an hour ago now very sunny again.

This morning I booked a cruise on Azura for the end of Feb/March 2024 going to the Canaries. It’s the first time we have flown to a cruise in the Canaries as we usually go from Southampton, as we are for our Iona cruise next Feb. I booked through our usual TA and got a cabin on C deck which is our favourite. I also got a discount on the P&O price and an additional £100 OBC. Even though it is a long way off, still very pleased to have it booked.

Off to a lovely restaurant in neighbouring Horwich tonight. My daughter-in-law gave us a nice gift voucher for it for Christmas so really forward to it. Having a taxi so we can share a bottle of wine. Pre-Covid we used to dine out quite regularly and we have had a few lunches out but this is our fist evening one. 

Have a lovely evening tonight with a nice bottle of wine.

We have a cruise on Azura booked for March 2024, like you say ages away but looking forward to it 

Michelle

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I have just ordered some of those masks to wear on the plane from that well know rainforest site( don’t think I am allowed to name it on here?). Two masks were £7.46

Michelle

Yes I’ve just been looking, not as expensive as I thought 😊

lovely sunny day here in Cornwall but by eck its a bit nippy, shorts back in case and chino's out, it's not quite cold enough for me big coit though, which is just as well as I haven't brought it. It was quite warm in the afternoon when the wind dropped. Trip to Padstow and Bodmin today. Very enjoyable and certainly different, I wouldn't want to be in Padstow or travelling the country lanes in the school holidays. Such a beautiful place.

• Like 5