P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

I don't do beans but totally agree with you. When chips (triple-cooked of course...) come in that little mesh basket they get tipped out onto the plate straight away. Also, when all the food is piled up on top of each component, I immediately 'deconstruct' it so that I can actually eat it!

I always got "Mt Everest" dinners when I was a kid.There'd be an evalanche if I deconstructed it.One of my Aunts used to bung a fried egg on top of the Sunday roast just for luck.Even I thought that was OTT.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

I am off on a river cruise at the end of the month.   A few weeks ago one of the regulars on here posted a bit when they were on one but I can’t remember who it was.   I’d like to look back and see what was said - any ideas anyone?

Not 100%sure but try  @yorkshirephil

3 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

I am off on a river cruise at the end of the month.   A few weeks ago one of the regulars on here posted a bit when they were on one but I can’t remember who it was.   I’d like to look back and see what was said - any ideas anyone?

If you are on the Danube then expect some problems because the river is too low for safe berthing in some places. Probably a europe wide problem with the drought conditions that prevail.

Niece's friend's skirt is successfully altered and I can now relax with a glass of Pinot Gris.  One of our local councillors will now appear at her function tomorrow afternoon with a skirt that fits properly.  How I wish that I was size 8 and 5ft 6in  I  know I won't gain 6 inches in height or lose 2 sizes but I can dream.🤫

4 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

WE were on a Danube river cruise in May/June with Tui

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I like looking at photos of peoples food but I wonder how people can eat so much, nowadays I have a much reduced appetite and I'm not 60 yet! After eating out a quite a bit in May during family celebrations and uk break I haven't eaten out since, I just don't have the inclination and my wife and I enjoy cooking at home.

We are out for the 3rd time this year, however once again supply issues meant a number of items off the menu, affected my wife more as many if those items were the gluten free variety, in this case spaghetti, the chef however came up with a variation using a different type aof pasta plus adjusted a few other ingredients. 

As for baked beans, we have recently switched to Branston variety from Heinz, however never have them with breakfast as don’t really go with porridge or granola. I haven’t had a full cooked breakfast for sometime, perhaps the odd bacon sandwich, I am not really a full English sort of person. 

I have just had a phone call from my niece's friend asking if I can alter a skirt for her before lunchtime tomorrow.  DH has  asked me whether any of the younger people we know can do anything useful.

F0494DFF-AF09-4907-A8D2-E1B265F465A0.webp

Edited by Ranchi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Ranchi said:

I have just had a phone call from my niece's friend asking if I can alter a skirt for her before lunchtime tomorrow.  DH has  asked me whether any of the younger people we know can do anything useful.

Love it, in the case of my family it is "give it to Auntie"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

We are out for the 3rd time this year, however once again supply issues meant a number of items off the menu, affected my wife more as many if those items were the gluten free variety, in this case spaghetti, the chef however came up with a variation using a different type aof pasta plus adjusted a few other ingredients. 

As for baked beans, we have recently switched to Branston variety from Heinz, however never have them with breakfast as don’t really go with porridge or granola. I haven’t had a full cooked breakfast for sometime, perhaps the odd bacon sandwich, I am not really a full English sort of person. 

I think that my favourite breakfast on a cruise is smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on toast or smoked haddock, as treat on a cruise (if available) is eggs benedict but is a bit rich for early in the morning but very tasty. I don't know why I often go fishy on a cruise maybe it's the sea or not always fancying the normal egg, bacon and sausage ( and baked beans, controversial) that we occasionally have for tea at home.

MIL is round today for lunch for homemade bolognese and tagliatelle, she normally comes round for Sunday lunch but wife is going to Anglesey for the day tomorrow with a friend, a day of peace for me tomorrow.

Morning all,

Hope everyone is well.

Bright and sunny down here and expected to get warmer, no breeze which we have had the last couple of days, making it feel cooler.

Have had the last couple of days off work and have be caught up with friends for coffee and .made myself a blouse Off in a short while to collect my shopping from Tesco, get petrol and then this afternoon I become taxi to my granddaughter as she needs collecting from a party and taking to her other grandmothers. 

Enjoy your weekend.

Good morning, hope everyone is well, 13.c and 🎵Mr blue sky is living here today  🎵

I see we have a poster who could turn out to be ..Oh well !

Have a nice day everyone 😍

See the classic smileys all seem to want a line to themselves ?:classic_love::classic_smile::classic_unsure:Very strange 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

WE were on a Danube river cruise in May/June with Tui

Thanks (and to Kalos!).  Looks like I’m on the same ship as you were so your summary was very helpful.  I’ve never done a river cruise before -  It’s going from Frankfurt to Amsterdam so I’m looking forward to seeing new places.  Do you remember what toiletries were in the bathroom? (I am going to try and travel light in view of the luggage situation at the airports). 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Thanks (and to Kalos!).  Looks like I’m on the same ship as you were so your summary was very helpful.  I’ve never done a river cruise before -  It’s going from Frankfurt to Amsterdam so I’m looking forward to seeing new places.  Do you remember what toiletries were in the bathroom? (I am going to try and travel light in view of the luggage situation at the airports). 

Would be interested to hear how you get along as apart from a Nile cruise its something we've never done but are looking at for 2024, Budapest/Vienna

Got ‘Genius’ on Wordle today. Wouldn’t normally blow my own trumpet (& it was a bit of a cheat) but I had seen David Baddiel’s tweet where he got it in two and it made me realise that so many people must use the same starter word. 

Edited by Ranchi
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ranchi said:

Got ‘Genius’ on Wordle today. Wouldn’t normally blow my own trumpet (& it was a bit of a cheat) but I had seen David Baddiel’s tweet where he got it in two and it made me realise that so many people must use the same starter word. 

I got it in 3 today. Had I stuck to my usual starter word I’d like to think I might have got it in 2 🥴

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ranchi said:

Nice to feel needed and wanted but.....

Definitely the younger people are very useful.

Different generation, comes a different skillset! 

Sorting out WiFi ; getting the best mobile phone deals; knowing everything there is to know about cars; one in financial services ;one just qualified as an electrician; one with a plumbing/gas apprenticeship.

Couldn't do without my younger people😀

• Like 3

I also got it in 3 this morning, 4th time this week for 3. Yesterday I got it in 1 for the first time ever, but that was only because a young lady managed to catch me with the buggy that she was pushing while I was out for my walk so it was a 5 letter word on my mind as I limped home ☹

1 hour ago, Ilovemygarden said:

There was just body wash and shampoo dispensers in the shower and soap in the sink. We had a basic cabin so not sure if higher grade cabins had anything else. Mrs YP took her own shampoo and conditioner in the small travel packs. I hope you enjoy the cruise as much as we did.

• Like 1