P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I don't blame you. Some Folk think they are entitled to your help. They ain't. 

I was appalled a few days ago to see an item on our local news.  It was a clothes swap scheme to help people who were struggling.  Great idea, working well.  Until they interviewed a lady who was excited to have found a sparkly top.  The reporter asked when she would wear it - without a moment's hestitation 'on a cruise' she replied.  I just couldn't help but feel there must have been much more worthy recipients.  

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

I was appalled a few days ago to see an item on our local news.  It was a clothes swap scheme to help people who were struggling.  Great idea, working well.  Until they interviewed a lady who was excited to have found a sparkly top.  The reporter asked when she would wear it - without a moment's hestitation 'on a cruise' she replied.  I just couldn't help but feel there must have been much more worthy recipients.  

A few years ago I had a check up at the doctors.  He looked over the top of his glasses....I note you get your winter fuel allowance this year, what do you plan spending it on?. Rather than tell him to mind his own flipping business.... lift passes in the alps Doctor. 

• Haha 10

11 minutes ago, zap99 said:

A few years ago I had a check up at the doctors.  He looked over the top of his glasses....I note you get your winter fuel allowance this year, what do you plan spending it on?. Rather than tell him to mind his own flipping business.... lift passes in the alps Doctor. 

I would have told him " It's for the air con ,it don't half get stuffy with the heating on "😉

• Haha 8

Our fuel allowance has stuffed the coke store to the brim. 22 bags at £21cwt a bag (hopefully enough to see us through the winter🤞) and little left for a tiny splurge. Maybe an expensive bottle of wine for Christmas🍷

Blue Nun do you think?😂

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Haha 9

Reading peoples experiences when they were first married many years ago makes you realise how hard we worked to buy our first house and old banger.

After leaving the RN in the early 70's, we had no savings and had to find accommodation after living in married quarters. I joined the police but waited eight months to hear I had been accepted and a further seven months had to pass training course, before I was given a Police Quarter. You had to live in a quarter until your probation was finished, two years and then could apply to be considered to purchase your own house. Even this procedure was regimented and an Inspector had to sign it off as suitable. Then it was my wife and I, she was a nurse, working shifts and overtime to save. 

When our children came along, often I would get home at about 7pm and she would be out the door to do a 4 hour late shift. I then had kids to manage ! Was it worth it ? Of course, now reaping the benefit of hard work. 

People now won't wait for anything and that's when financial trouble rears it's ugly head.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Our fuel allowance has stuffed the coke store to the brim. 22 bags at £21cwt a bag (hopefully enough to see us through the winter🤞) and little left for a tiny splurge. Maybe an expensive bottle of wine for Christmas🍷

Blue Nun do you think?😂

Avril

She won't be blue in your hot house.  Welcome back Avril.🥳

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Reading peoples experiences when they were first married many years ago makes you realise how hard we worked to buy our first house and old banger.

After leaving the RN in the early 70's, we had no savings and had to find accommodation after living in married quarters. I joined the police but waited eight months to hear I had been accepted and a further seven months had to pass training course, before I was given a Police Quarter. You had to live in a quarter until your probation was finished, two years and then could apply to be considered to purchase your own house. Even this procedure was regimented and an Inspector had to sign it off as suitable. Then it was my wife and I, she was a nurse, working shifts and overtime to save. 

When our children came along, often I would get home at about 7pm and she would be out the door to do a 4 hour late shift. I then had kids to manage ! Was it worth it ? Of course, now reaping the benefit of hard work. 

People now won't wait for anything and that's when financial trouble rears it's ugly head.

Very true, but I have to confess I would not want to have to give up any of our current essential luxuries either.

So I do understand why the younger generation would find it difficult to do without them as well.

• Like 7

We have been out for lunch, we haven't  been for the last few weeks due to our cruise and trying to diet last week to get rid of post-cruise weight.  DH commented on how much bigger the fish was compared to the ones we had on the ship which he said was more like a giant fish finger.  Our favourite local restaurant does a "Fish Friday" deal of 2 fish and chips meals and 2 glasses of wine for the bargain price of £25.  I always find that there is too much food for me but DH always manges to finish his.20221118_122546.thumb.jpg.60cf742e5a60acb7f813144409af7603.jpg

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We have been out for lunch, we haven't  been for the last few weeks due to our cruise and trying to diet last week to get rid of post-cruise weight.  DH commented on how much bigger the fish was compared to the ones we had on the ship which he said was more like a giant fish finger.  Our favourite local restaurant does a "Fish Friday" deal of 2 fish and chips meals and 2 glasses of wine for the bargain price of £25.  I always find that there is too much food for me but DH always manges to finish his.20221118_122546.thumb.jpg.60cf742e5a60acb7f813144409af7603.jpg

Oh Josy. Tell DH that he shouldn't have both beanz and red wine with his cod. You were right with mushy peaz and white wine.....looks good though.🤣

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Oh Josy. Tell DH that he shouldn't have both beanz and red wine with his cod. You were right with mushy peaz and white wine.....looks good though.🤣

It is obviously my poor quality photo, he didn't have beanz, he had mushy peas, you can't actually see them because they are hidden under his fish.  He is a red wine drinker regardless of whatever he has chosen to eat. 🤣

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

It is obviously my poor quality photo, he didn't have beanz, he had mushy peas, you can't actually see them because they are hidden under his fish.  He is a red wine drinker regardless of whatever he has chosen to eat. 🤣

Looks a lovely lunch Josy - but I must admit I cannot see the attraction of mushy peas (well any peas actually) so would personally prefer beanz and a large glass of red wine (jam shed!) 🤣🍷

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Another red wine drinker here, red wine, I find, is usually far less dry and acidic than white, I love a fruity cabernet sauvignon which for me goes with just about any meal.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Was it that long?  At least you knew that lots of people were missing  you; it is always good to feel wanted!🙂

I last posted 1st Nov. I noticed that Sarah's last post was the same day and she didn't post again until the day before me, so I kept trying and hey presto(not Presto2😁) it finally worked. 

That being said, I don't think I've seen another of her posts since🤔

Avril

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Ooops, just seen Sarah's posts on Ventura and Iona threads.

Avril

Hi. I'm here 😊

I couldn't log on for ages either, it was quite frustrating.

I can't type much either at the moment, I have a ganglion that's flared up (too much lifting of our 2 year old I expect) so I can only type with my left hand, so short messages only.

• Like 9

Hi, havn't posted for a while just been lurking. Saw oncologist today. secondary cancer still not in organs the ones elsewhere in my bones are shrinking so good news still can't believe it. Hubby in hospital ready to have stem cell transplant on monday, so will be on tenderhooks for the next few weeks.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Blue Nun do you think?😂

Avril

Yeah,that's my sis.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, delgirl said:

Hi, havn't posted for a while just been lurking. Saw oncologist today. secondary cancer still not in organs the ones elsewhere in my bones are shrinking so good news still can't believe it. Hubby in hospital ready to have stem cell transplant on monday, so will be on tenderhooks for the next few weeks.

Sending you our prayers 🙏 for you both.

Graham.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, delgirl said:

I hope all goes well for your hubby, and that your health continues to improve.x

Avril

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, delgirl said:

Promise... good things happen... just enjoy every very single moment...  and remember that you're better than you will ever believe! 

• Like 3