P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, kalos said:

I'll never forget when my parents sat me down and told me Santa wasn't real

I was heartbroken...
I'm not sure how I managed to go to work that day!:classic_unsure:

So glad that Avril knows the truth ,I feel much better now 😊

Hope you didn't tell everyone in the pub.

• Haha 3

Woke up to a world of white frost, bitter cold but beautiful with bright sunshine. We even got a tiny flutter of the white stuff but it didn’t last long.

We are forecast for really heavy snow next weekend, typical as we have a family event and it could stop people travelling if it is as bad a forecast (seldom is thankfully).

I passed my driving test in thick snow, probably not a bad thing to be confident driving in it.

The radio phone in this morning was about the extreme cold and was advertising where warm banks are situated. It’s a disgrace that in one of the wealthiest country’s in the world people are freezing and / or starving. At least this year the cold weather heating allowance for those eligible is being paid automatically and is not based on 7 days below zero. 

On a lighter note the best  cracker jokes of 2022 have just been released. I suspect they are copyright so I won’t post them here but Google them if you want a mild (very mild) chortle.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, happy v said:

It's just started to snow! I love snow 

Yeah,I loved it as a self employed heating fitter driving 20 miles into London in grid locked traffic to find the job had been cancelled cos the labourers couldn't carry boilers etc in the snow.Rant over,merry Christmas,lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Blimey o'reilly it's been a bit on the nippy side today. Early doors it was -3⁰ and made its way up to 1⁰. Some little patches of ice out the front of my house haven't thawed all day.

Got my dinner suit cleaned this week as I might be needing it fairly soon. Didn't look at the ticket when I took it in and my jaw nearly hit the floor when I realised it was £14 - for a two- piece suit 😱.

Then popped into town for a few bits and bobs. Am going to an event requesting Christmas jumpers soon and have never owned one. As I didn't want to pay a fortune for something I'll seldom wear, I went to Primark. Found something suitable for £17. Checkout staffed by a young woman, chewing gum - "D'ya wanna bag", d'ya wan' the 'anger"... I really do feel my age some times... At least the young woman selling Bratwurst in a wooden hut outside restored my faith.

• Like 11

On 12/7/2022 at 6:30 PM, Waju said:

Santa isn't real? 😢 😲

I've been to Lapland and met his reindeers ----- we were told that if they blinked at us they were his special ones that flew with him at Christmas. And, like a big kid, I stood there with them eye to eye and .... the odd one or two blinked ! Now reindeer don't lie !!!!!!

• Like 13

Had to nip out this evening to get new windscreen frost guard for my wife’s car after old one finally gave up and split down the middle, checked online at Halfords before we left, no stock issues, got there only 3 left, we had one, another customer had the other two.

My wife gets her new car early next week, it arrived at dealership yesterday, still no sign of mine, could be in Zeebrugge or perhaps on its way to Bristol, the dealer doesn’t know as car not on system for some odd reason. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, July morning said:

It's been cold here but no frost or snow, thank goodness as I fall over just by looking at it (always been like that) 😂 My father used to say I could trip and fall over my shadow!

There are a few of us like that.

I wonder how Sarah's mum is.

Avril

• Like 3

Morning.

By the cringe, it's a cold out there this morning🥶 I thought we'd had a fall of snow. It was -5c when I got up at 4.45 but has now managed to claw it's way up to -3c with a feel of -6c. Looks pretty though in the garden lights.

Wrap up warm if you really need to go out and be extra careful, it's treacherous underfoot.

Avril

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Morning.

By the cringe, it's a cold out there this morning🥶 I thought we'd had a fall of snow. It was -5c when I got up at 4.45 but has now managed to claw it's way up to -3c with a feel of -6c. Looks pretty though in the garden lights.

Wrap up warm if you really need to go out and be extra careful, it's treacherous underfoot.

Avril

Good morning. Similar weather here in Dorset with -4 and a very sharp frost.

My dog melted a small area of frosty grass at 0530 and very quickly ran back inside!

I feel so sorry for those poor people who cannot afford to have much heat on. Yes, my temperature is being kept a little lower this year (18.5c) but I feel very lucky to be able to have it on.

Take care in this freezing weather.

Gill

Edited by Angel57
Spelling
  • Like 7

Another cold morning, only 4° here and a heavy frost.  I hope that it warms up a bit before I have to go out.  I hate feeling cold so it looks like I will be dressing as "Nanook of the North" this morning.

I feel so sorry for those who cannot afford to heat their homes and for those who are living on the streets for whatever reason.

My biggest problem this morning is having received an email changing a port on our Norway cruise from Lofoten Islands where we have never visited to Andalsnes where we have visited several times, so I think that we are extremely lucky compared with many other people.

Take care and stay warm every one.

❄️

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Britboys said:

Blimey o'reilly it's been a bit on the nippy side today. Early doors it was -3⁰ and made its way up to 1⁰. Some little patches of ice out the front of my house haven't thawed all day.

Got my dinner suit cleaned this week as I might be needing it fairly soon. Didn't look at the ticket when I took it in and my jaw nearly hit the floor when I realised it was £14 - for a two- piece suit 😱.

Then popped into town for a few bits and bobs. Am going to an event requesting Christmas jumpers soon and have never owned one. As I didn't want to pay a fortune for something I'll seldom wear, I went to Primark. Found something suitable for £17. Checkout staffed by a young woman, chewing gum - "D'ya wanna bag", d'ya wan' the 'anger"... I really do feel my age some times... At least the young woman selling Bratwurst in a wooden hut outside restored my faith.

The influential sphere of Romford must be expanding Andrew.

• Haha 2

It's 0c down here with a feel of -4. We haven't got a frost as it rained last night, everywhere is just icy.

The last time we had snow here I fell and broke my elbow, so I won't be going out as I don't want a repeat performance🥴

Stay warm and safe everyone.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Another cold morning, only 4° here and a heavy frost.  I hope that it warms up a bit before I have to go out.  I hate feeling cold so it looks like I will be dressing as "Nanook of the North" this morning.

I feel so sorry for those who cannot afford to heat their homes and for those who are living on the streets for whatever reason.

My biggest problem this morning is having received an email changing a port on our Norway cruise from Lofoten Islands where we have never visited to Andalsnes where we have visited several times, so I think that we are extremely lucky compared with many other people.

Take care and stay warm every one.

❄️

Sorry to hear that the Lofoten Islands has been replaced on your itinerary - we have really enjoyed our visits there having taken excursions through beautiful scenery to Nusfjord which is charming. However on the plus side, we love Andalnes as a destination too - I know you've been before but perhaps not since they opened a new cable car this year.  If you haven't taken the trip up to the mountain overlooking Andalnes it's definitely worth doing.  Spectacular views and some walks and cafe at the top. 

The entrance is very close to the pier and I'd suggest if you wanted to do the trip to get off early and go up there first.  We met some people off the ship who had done that and said how quiet it was.  We'd done our favourite walk up the river side and crossed over the foot bridge to the campsite for a coffee then returned so it was afternoon when we got back to the centre.  We only went up the cable car on a whim but my goodness how glad we were.  Fabulous views - one of our favourite memories of that trip.  But it was busy.  So hopefully next time we go, we'll do the cable car first.  

Anyway hope you enjoy your return visit to Andalsnes but in the meantime asvyoubsay, we must count ou blessings.  

Keep warm, safe and well everyone.

IMG_20220729_124939956_HDR.thumb.jpg.c384fe708643f9eef8551286353af5b8.jpg

• Like 9

-7c here at the moment, I put the heating on earlier than normal today. When it gets this cold I get concerned about freezing water pipes, boiler condensate pipes etc. The forecast shows the temperature rising to 4 today but I can’t see that happening with so much coldness locked in the ground already cooling the air.

The itinerary of our P&O cruise next summer to Iceland and Norway has changed with a complete reversal of the ports of call i.e. Norway then Iceland now, one Iceland port dropped but trondheim added, Faroe Islands dropped (we really wanted to go there, but we have been told they won’t be going there now due to their whaling policy), and Liverpool added , of all places, which is only 40 mins away from where we live and have been there many times before hardly a suitable replacement for the Faroe Islands!!

Edited by Splice the mainbrace
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

-7c here at the moment, I put the heating on earlier than normal today. When it gets this cold I get concerned about freezing water pipes, boiler condensate pipes etc. The forecast shows the temperature rising to 4 today but I can’t see that happening with so much coldness locked in the ground already cooling the air.

The itinerary of our P&O cruise next summer to Iceland and Norway has changed with a complete reversal of the ports of call i.e. Norway then Iceland now, one Iceland port dropped but trondheim added, Faroe Islands dropped (we really wanted to go there, but we have been told they won’t be going there now due to their whaling policy), and Liverpool added , of all places, which is only 40 mins away from where we live and have been there many times before hardly a suitable replacement for the Faroe Islands!!

At least the good folk of Liverpool don't slaughter hundreds of pilot whales every year. Well done P&O.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I must admit I applaud them for their Faroe island policy.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I must admit I applaud them for their Faroe island policy.

It came as a surprise to me, but a very pleasant surprise. There are several places in the World that I have no intention of visiting due to their treatment of wild animals. Faroes are pretty near the top of the list. That won't make a jot of difference, but my conscience is worth a bit to me.😉

Edited by zap99
  • Like 7