P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

You tell people treated in that generation by the Australian trench in their mouths. That and the perfect pock mark on their arms.

Did you get them in Scotland too? Those freeloading, tax evading, Australian dentists did enormous damage to teeth in the London area. My wife’s teeth were wrecked by them when she was a student nurse.

13 hours ago, wowzz said:

Dentists back in the 50s and 60s were paid by how many fillings they did.  Surprisingly I always needed a filling. 

My dentist had two treatment rooms connected by a swing door, so he could double the number of innocent children he could  treat ! 

Things weren't always better in the past !

I had no fillings in my adult teeth until I went to the dentist when I was about 14 years old and he identified 4 needed a filling, I had no pain or other symptoms. I always went for 6 month check ups without any problems found, this was a new dentist. Over the years a succession of refilling made the fillings larger and larger and some now are crowns. I alway wonder if the fillings were genuine.

Edited by Splice the mainbrace

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

The two words that struck fear into every child was 'School Dentist'

It took years for me to get over the fear of dentists. When I was 28 I found a dentist with the off putting name of Greef. He promised me the only pain he would give me was with his singing and he was true to his word. His singing was dreadful, but he cured my fear of dentists. 

Avril

My first dentist when I was a child was called Mr Pallet😊

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, kalos said:

Now your giving me flashbacks 😮

My mother used to be obsessed with the blighters when I was a young kid.

Every Sunday night she would scrap the hell out of my head with a metal tooth comb.

" But mam I aint got nits "  I would complain but it made no odds, every Sunday, the same.

What made it worse she was mates with the district nurse who supplied her with loads 

of Derbac  shampoo which stunk awful.

"Can't I use Vosene like you and Dad ? "  Not a chance ,no kid of hers was having nits !

God help you if she saw you even go near your head with anything that looked like you 

were scratching your head ! Out came the tooth comb like it or not 😢

Loved the smell of Derbac

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Now your giving me flashbacks 😮

My mother used to be obsessed with the blighters when I was a young kid.

Every Sunday night she would scrap the hell out of my head with a metal tooth comb.

" But mam I aint got nits "  I would complain but it made no odds, every Sunday, the same.

What made it worse she was mates with the district nurse who supplied her with loads 

of Derbac  shampoo which stunk awful.

"Can't I use Vosene like you and Dad ? "  Not a chance ,no kid of hers was having nits !

God help you if she saw you even go near your head with anything that looked like you 

were scratching your head ! Out came the tooth comb like it or not 😢

I still use Vosene and have done since I was about 16. My son said 'Dad there are better shampoos nowadays. I told him that I still have all my hair, not much grey and have never been bitten by a Vampire........What !!!!. If you use Vosene you will never get bitten by vampires...try it. It works. 60 years later,,,not one single bite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

Or the Nit Nurse!

When we were very young and mum didn't work at the hospital for a few years ( because of the shifts ) she was the nit nurse.  Needless to say none of us nor our friends ever went to school with nits.  Does anyone remember that some children had to have some sort of smelly lotion on their hair because their nits were so prolific ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Just reading that Jeff Beck has passed away at the age of 78, very sad as I am sure his music resonates with a few of us oldies, plus who hasn't sung along to Hi Ho Silver Lining at some point?

RIP Jeff Beck.

Yes I also woke up this morning to read about Sad passing of Jeff Beck, one of my favourite guitarists of all time, Im happy to say i saw him & Eric Clapton together on Stage at O2 Greenwich in 2010. Highlights of that night were Jeff playing his version of Nessun Dorma & Beatles" a day in the life". sent shivers down ones back. As an encore Eric & Jeff came on stage to do Hi Ho silver lining" but you could tell Jeff did not really want to play it. I also have a memory of going to Brixton  sometime in 90,s   to see Jeff Beck play in a very sticky floored Academy with Ginger Baker on drums too. So i will now make appoint of  listening to JB tracks on flight down to Madeira.

Just thought i would share.  thanks.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

I still use Vosene and have done since I was about 16. My son said 'Dad there are better shampoos nowadays. I told him that I still have all my hair, not much grey and have never been bitten by a Vampire........What !!!!. If you use Vosene you will never get bitten by vampires...try it. It works. 60 years later,,,not one single bite.

Funny you should say that. I’ve been using it to keep the leopards out of the garden for much the same time.

Works a treat I recommend it to all gardeners.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Funny you should say that. I’ve been using it to keep the leopards out of the garden for much the same time.

I was told that elephant poo does the trick, but it does make a mess of the roses.

Swimming again today. Another little shampoo bottle to fill up when we get on Azara. I said to DW would you prefer swimming or a 3 mile walk, same calory burn. She said a 3 mile walk sounds attractive.  By next Friday you could be half way to Portsmouth.🤔

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thank you Harry. Do you recommend spraying it or placing a little of it in certain areas around the garden?🤔😇

Avril

20 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Thank you Harry. Do you recommend spraying it or placing a little of it in certain areas around the garden?🤔😇

Avril

15 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Harry gets one of his gardening team to do it.🤣

Avril, Zap's quite right.

I was unfairly boasting about my anti-leopard skills, but in reality we employ Def Leppard when they're not touring - very reasonable too, and just down the road from you. Leopard-free for many years here.

I believe they spray it pretty liberally all over the garden, but we've never actually seen them because it's far too noisy and we have to hide inside with ear plugs and covered in heavy blankets.

• Haha 2

On 1/10/2023 at 11:53 AM, purplesea said:

A lot of cars here have the reg number starting with WK, mine included, so I remember it by thinking week, the number and then last three letters (two of which are the same)  Although on several occasions I have seen registration plates only differing by the number - year of manufacture!

My car reg includes WKD - just like the blue alco-pops drink!  And the technical name for the car's colour is speedy blue!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

The two words that struck fear into every child was 'School Dentist'

It took years for me to get over the fear of dentists. When I was 28 I found a dentist with the off putting name of Greef. He promised me the only pain he would give me was with his singing and he was true to his word. His singing was dreadful, but he cured my fear of dentists. 

Avril

Good Greef sis.my fear was that rubber mask when they put me to sleep,I don't think they believed in cocaine in those days,bro.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sarah1974 said:

My car reg includes WKD - just like the blue alco-pops drink!  And the technical name for the car's colour is speedy blue!

Ladies seem to give their cars names based on the reg. My wife first brand new car was Lassie ( LA51 ). When I got a new car  CHG, she said shall we take Lassie, or CHUG. Don't  call my car chug !!.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Ladies seem to give their cars names based on the reg. My wife first brand new car was Lassie ( LA51 ). When I got a new car  CHG, she said shall we take Lassie, or CHUG. Don't  call my car chug !!.

I had a LA51 reg car. I called it Lancelot!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Good Greef sis.my fear was that rubber mask when they put me to sleep,I don't think they believed in cocaine in those days,bro.

I hated that  mask bro. Even now, the smell of rubber makes my stomach turn, and yes, Greef was very good dentist. 

Sis

• Like 2