P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I know you're feeling disappointed Michelle, but it sounds to be really good news after all. You can look forward to planning your cruise now. I love Maderia, it's a beautiful island.

Avril

Thanks Avril, you are right it is good news and I should look on the positive side. I am on countdown to my cruise now 

Michelle

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I know you're feeling disappointed Michelle, but it sounds to be really good news after all. You can look forward to planning your cruise now. I love Maderia, it's a beautiful island.

Avril

Having had 2 land based holidays there I entirely agree so much too see and do, one day in port can’t do it justice. When we visited on a cruise we just wandered around Funchal, had a meal, chatted with the islands President, who happened to be eating at the next table.

We also saw Cristian Ronaldo, who comes from the island and frequently visits his mother who still lives there. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 2

On 1/8/2023 at 1:24 PM, SarahHben said:

Sorry Sue, I’ve only just seen this, what a worry for you and them! Was there much damage to the car?

The snowy weekend marked the start of a series of family issues here too 🥴

Thanks Sarah. The car was eventually written off! Annoyingly they still haven’t got their possessions back from the car which includes my mum’s disabled badge so they can’t even park in disabled bays! Yes my Dad has got a new car already.

Just to make it more confusing my mum went to A&E Sunday as she had bad stomach pains, they’ve kept her in as it’s her gall bladder.

My Dad never likes phoning anyone or making a fuss so he had no idea where she was until I phoned the hospital when I finished work and found out which ward she was in. I phoned her after Dad took her mobile in and she sounded terrible, said she was still in pain.

What a nightmare.

I hope everything is ok with your family.

Edited by P&O SUE

5 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Thanks Avril, you are right it is good news and I should look on the positive side. I am on countdown to my cruise now 

Michelle

Sorry Michelle, I didn’t get chance to reply to you yesterday although I managed to read the posts.

I’m sorry you were disappointed but agree completely with Avril too.

I’ve only been to Madeira on a cruise but it’s somewhere we’ve always wanted to go back to, we loved it.

3 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Having had 2 land based holidays there I entirely agree so much too see and do, one day in port can’t do it justice. When we visited on a cruise we just wandered around Funchal, had a meal, chatted with the islands President, who happened to be eating at the next table.

We also saw Cristian Ronaldo, who comes from the island and frequently visits his mother who still lives there. 

Hmm I wouldn’t be thrilled at seeing Ronaldo! 😉 The statue of him is hilarious, looks nothing like  him!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Sorry Michelle, I didn’t get chance to reply to you yesterday although I managed to read the posts.

I’m sorry you were disappointed but agree completely with Avril too.

I’ve only been to Madeira on a cruise but it’s somewhere we’ve always wanted to go back to, we loved it.

Thank you, everyone has positive things to say about Madeira so really looking forward to it.

Sorry to hear about all the traumas happening for you too. I can sympathise with your mum about gallbladder pain it really is awful. I spent 11 days in hospital with gall bladder problems which affected my pancreas so they removed my gallbladder within a couple of weeks. Hope she recovers quickly and gets home asap.

Michelle 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

Have you planned anything for Madeira as yet. Loads to see and do depending on what you enjoy and some things you can book yourself very easily.

Blandys accept private tour bookings if you want tour and taste Madeira and it’s right in the centre of town. Or you can simply show up at the tasting rooms and try a flight of new, old or even a Madeira from your year of birth (I did that when I was much younger as it would cost a fortune now!).

https://www.blandyswinelodge.com/en/tours/

Reid’s Hotel is just up the hill from the port area and they do a very elegant afternoon tea. Ask for a table on the terrace https://www.belmond.com/hotels/europe/portugal/madeira/belmond-reids-palace/afternoon-tea

There is the cable car to the gardens, the fish market, loads of amazing restaurants, lovely shopping and of course…..Poncha.

One of my favourite cruise stops. Enjoy

• Like 3

6 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Thanks Sarah. The car was eventually written off! Annoyingly they still haven’t got their possessions back from the car which includes my mum’s disabled badge so they can’t even park in disabled bays! Yes my Dad has got a new car already.

Just to make it more confusing my mum went to A&E Sunday as she had bad stomach pains, they’ve kept her in as it’s her gall bladder.

My Dad never likes phoning anyone or making a fuss so he had no idea where she was until I phoned the hospital when I finished work and found out which ward she was in. I phoned her after Dad took her mobile in and she sounded terrible, said she was still in pain.

What a nightmare.

I hope everything is ok with your family.

Poor you Sue - and poor mum in pain in hospital.  Parents that are stoic and don't want to make a fuss are arguably worse than those who fret about every single ache or pain. At least you know where they are! I do hope everything gets resolved soon. Best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 3

Current 7C here and raining, flood defences have gone up in Shrewsbury & Ironbridge as the water level rises on the River Severn following heavy rain in Wales over last week or so, expected to peak today and again on Thursday as a result of todays rainfall in Wales.

Not everyone can benefit from the defences, so sadly some properties will be flooded again, for the second time in less than 12 months. 

49 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Poor you Sue - and poor mum in pain in hospital.  Parents that are stoic and don't want to make a fuss are arguably worse than those who fret about every single ache or pain. At least you know where they are! I do hope everything gets resolved soon. Best wishes. Jane.x

Thanks Jane, I’ve phoned the ward this morning and she’s having a scan soon. I’ll be going to visit this afternoon. I phoned mum briefly this morning, she sounded brighter but couldn’t say much as the nurses had turned up. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Thanks Jane, I’ve phoned the ward this morning and she’s having a scan soon. I’ll be going to visit this afternoon. I phoned mum briefly this morning, she sounded brighter but couldn’t say much as the nurses had turned up. 

For your mam Sue.

Screenshot_20221224_105757.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Have you planned anything for Madeira as yet. Loads to see and do depending on what you enjoy and some things you can book yourself very easily.

The last time that we were in Madeira we went on one excursion that included a glass of Madeira and a slice of Madeira cake. One of our party complained bitterly about the cake. When we asked why she didn't like it... back came the reply "It's not proper Madeira cake... It's nothing like the ones we buy in Morrisons!"

Strange how these odd memories stay with one!

• Haha 16

18 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Our check in is also very late (car and luggage drop off and a leisurely lunch in Southampton) so I’ll be looking to book as much as possible for speciality dining and the Limelight before we arrive, if we can.

Historically I've never known P&O enforce sticking to check in times so although you have made a plan to have lunch in Southampton after the drop off you may just be able to join the check in queue anyway.

Perhaps someone with more recent experience (especially post-COVID regulations) can comment on this?

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Historically I've never known P&O enforce sticking to check in times so although you have made a plan to have lunch in Southampton after the drop off you may just be able to join the check in queue anyway.

Perhaps someone with more recent experience (especially post-COVID regulations) can comment on this?

Thanks for that. While I would not want to cause issues for others with earlier times at check in, if we play by the rules and others don’t we could be left with no bookings (and I’m not generally a fan of the MDR for every night so really want some speciality bookings). At least in theory we can just walk into the Glass House.

I would be interested in more recent experiences of check in too.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Just had a video sent to me from dealership my new car arrived this morning, it’s been a long wait but is finally here, hopefully I will get it by the weekend. Dealer is sending me a choice of Reg Nos to choose from later today, 

Always nice being able to select a reg number. I always pick something I can make an easy acronym for to remember it.

11 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Always nice being able to select a reg number. I always pick something I can make an easy acronym for to remember it.

Not had that option previously, with our last cars the Reg nos of my wife’s care and my car were 1 letter different, frequent confusion when we were ever asked for our Reg no. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

A lot of cars here have the reg number starting with WK, mine included, so I remember it by thinking week, the number and then last three letters (two of which are the same)  Although on several occasions I have seen registration plates only differing by the number - year of manufacture!

4 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Thank you, everyone has positive things to say about Madeira so really looking forward to it.

Michelle 

Michelle, as others have said you will love Madeira, I have never known anyone who didn’t like it. We had a holiday there several years ago and we could see the cruise ships coming into port, it got me very excited. We subsequently have been on two Western Med cruises which stopped there. It’s my husband’s 70th birthday in July and I have booked 10 days in a hotel my sister recommended.  Have a great holiday and keep well. X

• Like 4

8 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Hmm I wouldn’t be thrilled at seeing Ronaldo! 😉 The statue of him is hilarious, looks nothing like  him!

Bet you wouldn't say that if he'd played for the other reds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1