P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, twotravellersLondon said:

The last time that we were in Madeira we went on one excursion that included a glass of Madeira and a slice of Madeira cake. One of our party complained bitterly about the cake. When we asked why she didn't like it... back came the reply "It's not proper Madeira cake... It's nothing like the ones we buy in Morrisons!"

Strange how these odd memories stay with one!

All the Panatoni's in Lidl seem to sell out.In Italy there are thousands left over after Christmas.Don't tell anyone,I don't think even they like it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Have you planned anything for Madeira as yet. Loads to see and do depending on what you enjoy and some things you can book yourself very easily.

Blandys accept private tour bookings if you want tour and taste Madeira and it’s right in the centre of town. Or you can simply show up at the tasting rooms and try a flight of new, old or even a Madeira from your year of birth (I did that when I was much younger as it would cost a fortune now!).

https://www.blandyswinelodge.com/en/tours/

Reid’s Hotel is just up the hill from the port area and they do a very elegant afternoon tea. Ask for a table on the terrace https://www.belmond.com/hotels/europe/portugal/madeira/belmond-reids-palace/afternoon-tea

There is the cable car to the gardens, the fish market, loads of amazing restaurants, lovely shopping and of course…..Poncha.

One of my favourite cruise stops. Enjoy

We have booked the cable car & toboggan run.

Thank you for all the other information 

Michelle

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Michelle, as others have said you will love Madeira, I have never known anyone who didn’t like it. We had a holiday there several years ago and we could see the cruise ships coming into port, it got me very excited. We subsequently have been on two Western Med cruises which stopped there. It’s my husband’s 70th birthday in July and I have booked 10 days in a hotel my sister recommended.  Have a great holiday and keep well. X

I am really looking forward to Madeira, I have a feeling one day is not going to be long enough 

Michelle

• Like 5

Good afternoon all,  Thought I would just like to add that next week we are off to Madeira for a 2week Hotel stay. it will be our 3rd visit. like many  have said they found it very agreeable after a ships visit, we did back in2017 on Britannia, we then returned in 2018 for a hotel stay, & this time we are visiting for my big (0) birthday. We should have been there in 20, but something got in the way!!! So we look forward to returning next week. We shall be dining at   Madeira's only Micheline star restaurant  which is in our hotel( not mention name in case i get told off) Can report on "things to do if anyone needs to know ".

.Off back to my lurking cabin now.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Thanks for that. While I would not want to cause issues for others with earlier times at check in, if we play by the rules and others don’t we could be left with no bookings (and I’m not generally a fan of the MDR for every night so really want some speciality bookings). At least in theory we can just walk into the Glass House.

I would be interested in more recent experiences of check in too.

Our check in for Ventura in October was 13.30pm.

We got to Ocean terminal at 12.30pm went upstairs and they checked our documents and gave us a coloured numbered card and we had to sit down.

About 20 minutes later our coloured number was called and we checked in then went to security to check our hand luggage before getting on Ventura.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

The last time that we were in Madeira we went on one excursion that included a glass of Madeira and a slice of Madeira cake. One of our party complained bitterly about the cake. When we asked why she didn't like it... back came the reply "It's not proper Madeira cake... It's nothing like the ones we buy in Morrisons!"

Strange how these odd memories stay with one!

Very true.

While in Hong Kong, we visited a monastary on Lantau Island and were served a vegetarian lunch and green  tea. We were all enjoying the refreshing tea when a lady complained rather loudly that that it was awful. When asked why she said

'' When are they bringing the milk and sugar?''

''It's full of tea leaves anyway so I don't think I'll bother. Ugh, disgusting!''

That was in 1994, so yes, odd memories are never forgotten.

Avril

• Haha 11

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Very true.

While in Hong Kong, we visited a monastary on Lantau Island and were served a vegetarian lunch and green  tea. We were all enjoying the refreshing tea when a lady complained rather loudly that that it was awful. When asked why she said

'' When are they bringing the milk and sugar?''

''It's full of tea leaves anyway so I don't think I'll bother. Ugh, disgusting!''

That was in 1994, so yes, odd memories are never forgotten.

Avril

Do Tetleys do green teabags now.Bro.

3 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

I am really looking forward to Madeira, I have a feeling one day is not going to be long enough 

Michelle

You’re quite right to. Our favourite cruise visit, bar none - beautiful, calm, relaxed, charming, gentle. Just delightful. You’ll have a great time!

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, brian1 said:

My main memory of Madiera was the steepest hills I've ever encountered probably on par with San Francisco.Inland the levada walks are good with lovely scenery but apparently some can be dangerous.

We had a go on the Red bus tour and that bus seemed to go up hill forever, brilliant views .

We also tried the yellow route but preferred the red route.

Nice way to kill about 90 minutes .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

You’re quite right to. Our favourite cruise visit, bar none - beautiful, calm, relaxed, charming, gentle. Just delightful. You’ll have a great time!

Can’t wait now, everyone saying positive things about Madeira 

Michelle

• Like 8

Well I’ve been to see my mum this afternoon, she looked very frail and she was wearing an oxygen mask which she wasn’t yesterday. We can’t understand her 😳 She keeps trying to talk but her words aren’t coming out. I was holding her hand and her grip was good though.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Can’t wait now, everyone saying positive things about Madeira 

Michelle

Some photos from our 2 visits to Madeira on our 2 week Canary Islands cruise on Azura November 18th to December 2nd.

You will have a lovely time Michelle.

Graham.

IMG_20221127_132852.jpg

IMG_20221127_130050.jpg

IMG_20221126_203022.jpg

IMG_20221127_131610.jpg

IMG_20221127_131721.jpg

IMG_20221121_103832.jpg

IMG_20221121_080336.jpg

IMG_20221121_101246.jpg

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Well I’ve been to see my mum this afternoon, she looked very frail and she was wearing an oxygen mask which she wasn’t yesterday. We can’t understand her 😳 She keeps trying to talk but her words aren’t coming out. I was holding her hand and her grip was good though.

Sending our prayers 🙏 for your mam Sue.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Lovely photos Graham. Will be there next Wednesday, lovely town to stroll around. Done the tourist must does in the past, so a nice chill walk.

Thank you Bob.

I hope you have a fantastic cruise and brilliant time in Madeira.

IMG_20221121_141706.jpg

IMG_20221121_101922.jpg

IMG_20221121_102445.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

What a worry for you all.

Hoping things are a bit better tomorrow.

Thinking of you.

Gill x

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1