P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 minute ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Yes they seem to be looking to discourage tourists, I would have thought to a city of that size a few thousand cruise passengers wouldn’t make much difference. Additionally though the article says that a cruise ship has the nox emissions of 30,000 trucks!! as another reason for the cruise ship ban.

They say they want to ban Just the British male stag do's.

Makes you wonder what the attraction was apart from drugs and the red light areas .🙃

• Haha 5

59 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Yes they seem to be looking to discourage tourists, I would have thought to a city of that size a few thousand cruise passengers wouldn’t make much difference. Additionally though the article says that a cruise ship has the nox emissions of 30,000 trucks!! as another reason for the cruise ship ban.

So they intend to replace the ship emissions with another 30,000 trucks travelling over the cheaper bridge they intend to build. Seems a very sensible arrangement for a city council to make.🤣😇

• Haha 3

We are just back from lunch at our favourite restaurant, I know that prices are rising everywhere but I don't think that a 20% rise since last week is justified.  This is the second price rise this year.  We could hear people moaning on nearby tables but everyone was like us just accepting the rise but saying that it was an unacceptable rise.  Next week we will be going somewhere else.

4 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Yes I agree about escooters. They are illegal to use in most areas apart from on private land. Some cities and towns do run escooter rental trials, in fact my son rents one to go between his flat in Ocean Village in Southampton and the railway station 3 days a week for him to commute to and from London. I didn’t realise until a few months ago, after watching a channel 4 or 5 police programme, that if you commit a road traffic offence, for example over the drink drive limit, it goes against your driving licence as if you were driving your normal car.

How can it go on the driving licence if the offender doesn't have one, is it recorded in someway for a possible future driving licence?  Most of the escooters that I have seen seem to be ridden by teenagers.

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

How can it go on the driving licence if the offender doesn't have one, is it recorded in someway for a possible future driving licence?  Most of the escooters that I have seen seem to be ridden by teenagers.

You have to have at least a provisional licence for the city rental schemes. When signing up you have to send a photo of your licence and a selfie photo.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I think they are recorded and then added to licence once you take one out.

The local police here have stopped escooter riders and seized their scooters on occasions, there have been a couple of incidents where people were nearly knocked over by some illegally using one on a footpath. 

Apparently some parts of the country are undergoing trials which allow escooters in the roads, but only rented scooters not privately owned and you need a driving licence to rent one,

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e-scooter-trials-guidance-for-users

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We are just back from lunch at our favourite restaurant, I know that prices are rising everywhere but I don't think that a 20% rise since last week is justified.  This is the second price rise this year.  We could hear people moaning on nearby tables but everyone was like us just accepting the rise but saying that it was an unacceptable rise.  Next week we will be going somewhere else.

Yep the prices are still going up . I like to use our local chippys as a barometer of what's going 

off with the prices , using their portions of chips.

We like a large fish and chips to share every couple of weeks but we have seen the chip price 

rise at least twice and also a marked reduction in the amount you get .

A while back you would get a large portion for under £2  now you can pay £3.50 for less .

It cannot be easy when the spuds ,gas elect ,cooking oil and staff wages are going up and

I'm sure this is the case for most places we eat out as well.

I did read that fuel prices are falling and some food as well but will we ever see our 

purchase prices fall ?  I doubt it 🤔

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

Yep the prices are still going up . I like to use our local chippys as a barometer of what's going 

off with the prices , using their portions of chips.

We like a large fish and chips to share every couple of weeks but we have seen the chip price 

rise at least twice and also a marked reduction in the amount you get .

A while back you would get a large portion for under £2  now you can pay £3.50 for less .

It cannot be easy when the spuds ,gas elect ,cooking oil and staff wages are going up and

I'm sure this is the case for most places we eat out as well.

I did read that fuel prices are falling and some food as well but will we ever see our 

purchase prices fall ?  I doubt it 🤔

As you say it can't be easy, lots of cafes and restaurants have closed, albeit some new ones seem to be opening. It is hard to tell whether some are profiteering as we don't see the costs. I think energy companies are keeping prices higher than they aught with the massive profits and increased payouts to shareholders, we used to fill up at ASDA but not anymore, there is a nine pence difference per litre between Barnsley and Huddersfield ASDA's whereas they used to always be the same pre covid. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

Plus, as seems to apply to Venice also, most passengers spend very little money ashore, going back on board for the meals they have already paid for, and obviously not staying in hotels.

I know that’s what lots of “anti cruisers” say as well but surely the port charges are quite substantial and many of us do a “taster” on a cruise and might well go back for a longer holiday.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

I know that’s what lots of “anti cruisers” say as well but surely the port charges are quite substantial and many of us do a “taster” on a cruise and might well go back for a longer holiday.

Exactly what I did with Funchal in Madeira ,until the cruise ships  ,it was never on my holiday radar .

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

We have visited Venice on two separate occasions on a cruise, which did encourage us to go back. A family group of us went (9 in total) went for a 4 night stay earlier this year, and there is still so much to see. I would like to go back again.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, purplesea said:

We have visited Venice on two separate occasions on a cruise, which did encourage us to go back. A family group of us went (9 in total) went for a 4 night stay earlier this year, and there is still so much to see. I would like to go back again.

We had 2 separate weeks in Venice  when OH could fly and have since been on 2 cruises that overnighted in Venice and we would go again if we could find a cruise out of UK that went there.  As you say there is so much to see in and around the Veneto region.

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Yep.  Plenty of people out there doing all sorts of stuff without driving licences.  They put on the police database and DVLA are notified so that if they eventually apply for a licence, any extant endorsements etc are automatically put on to it.  

A few months ago a 14 year old plead guilty to causing death by driving not in accordance with a driving licence, following a collision with a pedestrian who subsequently died.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

As you say it can't be easy, lots of cafes and restaurants have closed, albeit some new ones seem to be opening. It is hard to tell whether some are profiteering as we don't see the costs. I think energy companies are keeping prices higher than they aught with the massive profits and increased payouts to shareholders, we used to fill up at ASDA but not anymore, there is a nine pence difference per litre between Barnsley and Huddersfield ASDA's whereas they used to always be the same pre covid. 

Same with other Supermarkets, my local Sainsbury’s it’s 139.9, yet in Wolverhampton around 30 miles away it’s 130.9. When we were on the Isle of Wight ASDA Newport was cheapest at 142.7 the Gulf garage less than a mile from where we were staying was 154.9. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Yep.  Plenty of people out there doing all sorts of stuff without driving licences. 

And as the price of car insurance hit's stupid amounts for the "New to the road" drivers ,

we also have them driving with no insurance .

A while back I watched a guy pulled by the police ,who said this is the 2nd time  in as many 

months they had nicked the guy and scrapped his car .

The guy told the TV crew , he did not care as he found it cheaper than being legit .

He got done something like £150 ,a community order and his car scrapped.

He told the cops "take it ,I will have another in a week or so.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Same with other Supermarkets, my local Sainsbury’s it’s 139.9, yet in Wolverhampton around 30 miles away it’s 130.9. When we were on the Isle of Wight ASDA Newport was cheapest at 142.7 the Gulf garage less than a mile from where we were staying was 154.9. 

Our supermarkets are taking the mick at the moment . Morrison want £ 141.7 ..Asda £139.7

and sat  between them two independents selling at £138.9 .They have both beaten the 

supermarkets for quite a while now .

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We had a nice Italian lunch. When we got the bill, we said....nice, but not that nice. Somewhere else next time.20230721_131137.thumb.jpg.6a7240b23c15b5028cdb6c6a5ec12776.jpg

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

The cheapest around here are Morrisons and Sainsbury’s at £141.9 for petrol and it has been that price for at least the last 2 months.

Compared with those prices we come out well, it is also noticeable that the prices change almost daily.

Screenshot 2023-07-21 16.59.16.png

Edited by yorkshirephil

5 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Can we ask where? TBH we have just been looking at prices at our local Miller and Carters.

Mega OUCH IF you don't take them up on a special offer.

Makes Celebrity speciality dining look cheap !!!!

Talking cars my clio bought 3 years ago was 1 year old with 5k on clock for £13700 I px for a  toyota yaris hybrid 1 year old and now its up for sale in Manchester renault for £13,800 with 10 k on the clock how do they do it these car dealers? 

14 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Talking cars my clio bought 3 years ago was 1 year old with 5k on clock for £13700 I px for a  toyota yaris hybrid 1 year old and now its up for sale in Manchester renault for £13,800 with 10 k on the clock how do they do it these car dealers? 

Due in part to the shortage of 1 to 3 year old cars which means those that are available attract a premium price. 

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/used-car-prices-drop-1-4-per-cent-in-june-but-theres-definitely-no-crash-coming/286077

47 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Can we ask where? TBH we have just been looking at prices at our local Miller and Carters.

Mega OUCH IF you don't take them up on a special offer.

Makes Celebrity speciality dining look cheap !!!!

The Blacklake Inn in Meir Heath

Edited by Josy1953