P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

44 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We use M&S for ours.

Well you would, being in the leafy suburbs of the stockbroker belt.Lidl for us.😉.My mrs bought iced mince pies from Sainsbury this week,they're lovely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Well you would, being in the leafy suburbs of the stockbroker belt.Lidl for us.😉.My mrs bought iced mince pies from Sainsbury this week,they're lovely.

We don't eat Lidl cakes, or Christmas pud....big cakes and puds fo us.🤣

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, kalos said:

If it snows they all look clean and tidy 😉

Not much chance of that today 6.c fog/mist  and a weather warning for rain.

I have never been allowed to forget the time I shouted loudly (and I’m usually a very placid, quiet, peaceful person) a neighbours dog on Christmas Day when it ran across the lawn and spoiled my nice clean snow with a “deposit” in addition to paw prints.

I made OH go out and remove it. Thankfully it snowed again the same day to cover it all.

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

To be honest I love mince pies but after two or three weeks of daily eating, I get fed up with them.

I only tend to have them in December for the same reason. I also load them with brandy butter so they are a massive amount of calories.

And  I make BRANDY butter,  not brandy BUTTER.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

I will have to look out for iced mince pies when I go to Sainsburys for us to try.

I usually make them for us and for my BiL because my sister hates dried fruit in anything so won't make them for her husband. 

My husband will eat them at anytime of the year and often asks me to make them if there are none in the freezer.

I  used to make the mincemeat from a Delia Smith recipe but I now buy it.  Last year we had Sainsbury's Maple and Pecan mincemeat which I hope they will have again this year.

• Like 5

On 10/16/2023 at 11:08 AM, Purdey16 said:

Good morning it’s starting to get a bit chilly now during the night so I think it’s time to put the quilt inside the cover on the bed now .

I have a question for anyone that’s been on Aurora recently do they have starlink internet on board? We have a offer at the moment for 15% off internet prices and I want to see if’s it’s available.

No starlink internet on Aurora yet. It’s still the old system, but it’s worked fine for us.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

One more vote here for that one.

As used by the excellent cook who lives in this house.

As eaten and enjoyed by the foodie who benefits from her passion for home cooking. 😉

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

I only eat Hot Cross Buns in the month that includes Easter... and I'm not even a person of Faith!

Plain,toasted and with jam.We even take a stash to Italy.Sad I know😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I recently finished reading a book by Dr Chris Van Tulleken called Ultra processed people. Absolutely fascinating. All about the rubbish in processed food hidden where we don’t even know it is and how addictive some foods are.

After reading it I have started looking more closely at what we eat. We tend to use mainly whole foods anyway but with the odd processed ingredient. As an example I make a slow cooker mushroom stroganoff which calls for a can of condensed mushroom soup - having now read the ingredient list not any more. I tried it today using milk, plain flour, porchini mushroom powder etc along with more than usual fresh mushrooms and it tasted even better than normal and healthier (if a bit more time and effort).

As the darker nights come in I’m reading more than in the summer. Some new books and sometimes back to old favourites like Anthony Trollop.

Any recommended good reads?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I recently finished reading a book by Dr Chris Van Tulleken called Ultra processed people. Absolutely fascinating. All about the rubbish in processed food hidden where we don’t even know it is and how addictive some foods are.

After reading it I have started looking more closely at what we eat. We tend to use mainly whole foods anyway but with the odd processed ingredient. As an example I make a slow cooker mushroom stroganoff which calls for a can of condensed mushroom soup - having now read the ingredient list not any more. I tried it today using milk, plain flour, porchini mushroom powder etc along with more than usual fresh mushrooms and it tasted even better than normal and healthier (if a bit more time and effort).

As the darker nights come in I’m reading more than in the summer. Some new books and sometimes back to old favourites like Anthony Trollop.

I used to use my Kindle,but now have the Libby app on my phone.As long as you belong to a local library the app is linked to all the libraries in the UK.I've downloaded loads of books free of charge in the last few months.You have 21 days to read them,more than enough time.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I'm hopeless on new fiction - never seem to get the time - but as you like Trollope, how about some of the other classics like these:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/similar/20524.Anthony_Trollope

I'd add Hugh Walpole and George Orwell for a bit of extra variety.  Added bonus if you use the KIndle - most of the authors have been dead for more than 70 years, the books are out of copyright, and they're free!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1