P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

32 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

The best ever curries for me are from Bradford, when you walked in some of them you did wonder but the curries were sooooo good.

Back in the 90s me and my mate used to go in the "Halal", oldest restaurant in London in the backdoubles of Aldgate.It was a dump but did the best Madras in town.My mate used to bribe Ali the chef with a packet of fags and we'd stand in the kitchen watching him toss the pan with the flames hitting the ceiling.A lot of them now are trendy "Indian brasseries" but I've worked in them and they still have cockroaches and rats poo in the basement,lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

At last I saw my new Great grandson today, what a little cracker he is, I guess I would say that. It is a bit scary though, it doesn't seem so long ago that the grand kids were babies.

Nice dry day here 12oC not too shabby for time of year. It has been noticeable that the leaves have stayed on the trees much longer than usual this year, there is still plenty of flower on the fuchsia and hydrangea, again unusual for us at this time of year.

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

At last I saw my new Great grandson today, what a little cracker he is, I guess I would say that. It is a bit scary though, it doesn't seem so long ago that the grand kids were babies.

Nice dry day here 12oC not too shabby for time of year. It has been noticeable that the leaves have stayed on the trees much longer than usual this year, there is still plenty of flower on the fuchsia and hydrangea, again unusual for us at this time of year.

Congrats Phil 🙂 It is a strange feeling to get your head around . We have just got back from visiting our Granddaughter and whilst chatting to her, were  sat holding our Great Granddaughter .

Such a privilege as some people never live to see them .🙂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I agree Phil. When you hold your Great-granchild you wonder where all the years went, but also  heartwarming to see your own family tree growing. 

My fuchsias and lupins are still flowering too, and some of the new roses I planted this  year still have buds opening on them. Unusual, but nice to see.

Avril

• Like 7

5 hours ago, brian1 said:

There's a few different dishes oop North.I remember we had a weekend break in Keighley and having a chicken liver tikka in a curry house,lovely.Probably an aquired taste for some but not us.

Nor me Brian. I love chicken livers as a strip-steak replacement in a lovely peppercorn sauce. Surprisingly few people like chicken livers but I'm definitely one of them. Jane xx

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Beckett said:

Nor me Brian. I love chicken livers as a strip-steak replacement in a lovely peppercorn sauce. Surprisingly few people like chicken livers but I'm definitely one of them. Jane xx

Cheers Jane,in our part of Italy we can't get lambs liver unless we buy at least half a lamb with it.Just cow and pig available.We love liver,bacon and onions so we double fry chicken livers to compensate,lovely jubbly.Brian.

• Like 3

I must be cursed. My Ecoair dessicant dehumidifier has broken down. I checked on line and the problem seems to occur when the machines are over 5 years old which mine is. Apparently the manufacturer won't fix it so I need to spend over £200 on a replacement. It is a Which best buy too.

22 hours ago, brian1 said:

I must add we never make our own Ruby here,We have 40 Indian takeaways and restaurants in a 3 mile radius and the same number of Chinese.

A very battleship-grey day here today with 9˚C and not much change forecast for the rest of the day. A few deliveries expected of bits and bobs for the festive season... but can't see the sense of sending these all the way from South America... the packages are always labelled "Amazon!"

• Like 7

Another grey morning, hopefully it will brighten up later.

When I got home yesterday after picking the children up from school DH told me that I had to call the surgery to make an appointment but I was put in  queue with 23 others in front of me so I gave up and I will go into the surgery on my way back from school this morning to make an appointment rather than sit in a virtual queue.  I am assuming that they are not happy with something on my blood test results from last week.

Have a good day.

• Like 7

Morning ,it was a dark drizzly 9.c start today .

I thought I would slip out to our large Tesco extra ,I was there for 5.50 ,it used to be 24 hrs but didn't open until 6 am .

I was just getting a few goodies tubs of chocks etc for family at Christmas. Just like the buffet on cruise ships I like to be through early before the crowds .

Now what struck me going back to the banks etc ,discussion ,use it or lose it ....

Once I had got all my shopping from this town centre supermarket ,I made for the tills only to find every one closed !    There was just one lady up in the self check out area , who to be fair helped me put my goods through .

I have never gone through a large supermarket to find all the tills closed ,more so at this time of year ,in the run up to Christmas .She said a few will be opened later in the morning .

Must admit that was a first for me , always at least one open in the past 🤔

Have a good day  !

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Morning to you all.

Trying to brighten up here and the temperature is till in double figures although windy so feels colder.

Meeting a friend for coffee this morning, then I think this afternoon I'll get round to defrosting the freezer. It's a job I keep putting off!

Have a good day..

• Like 8

Oooo, don’t mention defrosting the freezer.  Mine badly needs doing - when you get that crunching noise as you open the drawers you know you shouldn’t put it off much longer.  Horrible job - I hate it.  
However, no defrosting will be done this week as we’re going back to the caravan for a few days.  Grab the decent (for November) weather whilst it’s here.  We’re dry and have no rain in the forecast for the rest of the month

Have a good day everyone 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Morning ,it was a dark drizzly 9.c start today .

I thought I would slip out to our large Tesco extra ,I was there for 5.50 ,it used to be 24 hrs but didn't open until 6 am .

I was just getting a few goodies tubs of chocks etc for family at Christmas. Just like the buffet on cruise ships I like to be through early before the crowds .

Now what struck me going back to the banks etc ,discussion ,use it or lose it ....

Once I had got all my shopping from this town centre supermarket ,I made for the tills only to find every one closed !    There was just one lady up in the self check out area , who to be fair helped me put my goods through .

I have never gone through a large supermarket to find all the tills closed ,more so at this time of year ,in the run up to Christmas .She said a few will be opened later in the morning .

Must admit that was a first for me , always at least one open in the past 🤔

Have a good day  

One of my bowling friends who used to work in our Tesco Extra told me that they had closed the staffed tills over night as a cost cutting exercise.  I now go to the slightly smaller but more convenient one near to the school where I drop the children off.

Sounds like Tesco could be shooting themselves in the foot in the run up to the festive season.  

• Like 9

Don't you just love the P&O web site. I have to pay the balance of a cruise by early December and I will be away on a cruise so decided to pay today on line.

All went well with the bank security then the P&O site threw a 9004 error 😠

I find the final preparations for a cruise stressful without this extra hassle.

So have i paid or have i not?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Oooo, don’t mention defrosting the freezer.  Mine badly needs doing - when you get that crunching noise as you open the drawers you know you shouldn’t put it off much longer.  Horrible job - I hate it.  
However, no defrosting will be done this week as we’re going back to the caravan for a few days.  Grab the decent (for November) weather whilst it’s here.  We’re dry and have no rain in the forecast for the rest of the month

Have a good day everyone 

Our flat we moved into 2 yrs ago has a built in fridge freezer which means the run off outlet is high enough to fit a large bowl underneath. As a result defrosting is a doddle compared to our old fee standing one.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

One of my bowling friends who used to work in our Tesco Extra told me that they had closed the staffed tills over night as a cost cutting exercise.  I now go to the slightly smaller but more convenient one near to the school where I drop the children off.

Sounds like Tesco could be shooting themselves in the foot in the run up to the festive season.  

It's getting common to only have manned tills at busy times, I was in our local Aldi mid morning on a weekday only self service was  open, told they will only open others If it got busy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Good morning. Slightly overcast skies, no rain. Off to Meadowhall, first visit since covid, hope it isn't full of charity shops 😁.

Was up there a few months ago with the Mrs out buying a few bits for our recent cruise and it was very busy then .I'm sure you will have fun being part of the "in crowd " 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

We all tend to believe that life's better when we're willing to give and take.

In more whimsical moments we worry about the micro scale in society where the far distant self-appointed "titans of grocery commerce" and their brave bean-counters will do their utmost to extract as much revenue from a neighbourhood, suburb or village community and choose to give less back to that community.  

We had a local "Little what's it" that we used to use several times each week. The staff on the till knew us and were always welcoming, friendly chatty and pleasant as they bagged up our shopping and had a natter as they did so. 

Overnight they were replaced by robots... self-service tills... each with an intrusive observation camera pointing in the users face... The friendly, cheerful, welcoming local faces on the tills had all gone bar one... her job was to stare over the last minute purchase shelves in a soulless, intimidating manner at anyone using the robot-tills. It was unfriendly, it was unpleasant... we had gone from welcome customers to potential thieves in one night. 

Worse... several local people in the local were put out of work... but the CEO of the parent company is paid over £1 million a year and boasts that her company gives away food (out of date) to support struggling families!

Robot tills are all about taking money out of the neighbourhood, suburb or village community and giving nothing much back. Needless to say we seldom use that shop now. In local supermarkets we will only use the staffed tills... jobs where local people have the opportunity to earn a living, to put food they chose on their own tables and to look after their own families.

And... to spend their income in the local shops and with local services... so that they're helping others making a living in return. 

Edited by twotravellersLondon
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Don't you just love the P&O web site. I have to pay the balance of a cruise by early December and I will be away on a cruise so decided to pay today on line.

All went well with the bank security then the P&O site threw a 9004 error 😠

I find the final preparations for a cruise stressful without this extra hassle.

So have i paid or have i not?

If you have your bank app on your phone you should get a notification of any in or outgoing payments Dave.

I've been a bit lax in my reading of these boards lately, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before. Booths, a high-end northern supermarket chain is axing self-service check outs at most of its stores as a result of customer feedback!  What a novelty.  I have one not too far from me and having regular Tesco deliveries I don't visit that much, but I am intending to up my visits from now on.

• Like 1