P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

We've decided to abort our Spanish holiday in September and have decided on the Isle of Wight instead. 4 nights in a Premier Inn for less than £200. Lovely. (Mind you the ferry looks expensive).

Then, if all seems OK. 3 weeks in Lanzarote in November. 

In the current environment,  I think booking too far ahead is a little foolhardy.  We have a floating £500 P&O deposit, that  has to be allocated by the end of September,  and in all honesty,  dont know where to place it. I think we are just going to stick it on a cheap inside cabin to Bruges. Hopefully the new schedule will be out later, and prices will have reverted to normality, and we can book a cruise  we like. (just to add Bruges is lovely, we just dont want to go again) 

Wight link from Pompey or Lymington tend to be cheaper than Red Funnel. 

Quicker too as they have less distance to travel. 

Andy 

Got confirmation yesterday that the campsite we have booked for Dorset in August will be open, great news!  About 12 of us in total, so should be good fun.  Bowling alley and pool closed, but hey, there's a beach and the sea.

Unfortunately a week's sailing jaunt to the Scilly Isles finally bit the dust, but still on for crewing on a regatta in October.  

Then it will/may be Iona in late November.....

Edited by Son of Anarchy

Well this hot weather is certainly bringing out the loonies. Sat having a coffee this morning and keeping an eye out for Asda when I saw  a young man on a bike pedalling down the road closely followed by a lawn mower😲. I couldn't tell if it was on a little trolley or just being towed along behind. I had to look twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things. 😂

Avril 

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Well this hot weather is certainly bringing out the loonies. Sat having a coffee this morning and keeping an eye out for Asda when I saw  a young man on a bike pedalling down the road closely followed by a lawn mower😲. I couldn't tell if it was on a little trolley or just being towed along behind. I had to look twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things. 😂

Avril 

Seems sensible to me - there’s a gardener round here who fits all his gear (inc lawn mower) in a trailer on his ebike. 

Cheaper, healthier and less polluting than a van, and no parking hassles.

19 hours ago, SarahHben said:

We’ve just booked emoji4.png They had no availability for September so we’ve opted for October. Looks like baby grandson may well be joining us emoji4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We managed to book another week in St Ives for the end of August. We should have been on Iona, but Hey ho. Gary Barlow will just have to do without us. I wonder if later in the year...........🤔

1 hour ago, funinhounslow said:

Seems sensible to me - there’s a gardener round here who fits all his gear (inc lawn mower) in a trailer on his ebike. 

Cheaper, healthier and less polluting than a van, and no parking hassles.

It's something we've never seen in our area, which is why I found it so strange. I agree though, it's a sensible option.

Avril 

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

Sure he's not your hairdresser.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've had the most amazing  day since March 23rd. Our granddaughter Heather phoned this afternoon asking me if i would alter a single duvet cover to fit a cot duvet and I told her I would. We were sitting in the lounge about an hour later and Ella popped her head around the door. I couldn't believe it. She threw herself at me and we cuddled for ages. Walked into the kitchen to see Heather and there was Jake. He didn't remember us but he soon came round and got comfortable with us. They stayed for about three hours and I got the cover done before they left. I even got a kiss and a cuddle from Jake. Happy day but had a few tears.

Avril 

• Like 11

Had a fantastic day, my niece was called and asked to work today because of staff shortages at UHNM so we got to be child carers for the day.  I forgot what it is like to be a referee between a12 year old and a 10 year old.  The home schooling was also a revelation. 😂😂

• Like 5

I've had the most amazing  day since March 23rd. Our granddaughter Heather phoned this afternoon asking me if i would alter a single duvet cover to fit a cot duvet and I told her I would. We were sitting in the lounge about an hour later and Ella popped her head around the door. I couldn't believe it. She threw herself at me and we cuddled for ages. Walked into the kitchen to see Heather and there was Jake. He didn't remember us but he soon came round and got comfortable with us. They stayed for about three hours and I got the cover done before they left. I even got a kiss and a cuddle from Jake. Happy day but had a few tears.
Avril 

How lovely for you! [emoji4]
My baby grandson seems to be starting to recognise us when he comes round to our garden. Either that or he’s a floozy and will smile and laugh to anyone [emoji23] I’ve not had cuddles yet, but am getting desperate to help, daughter looks exhausted

• Like 5

Had a fantastic day, my niece was called and asked to work today because of staff shortages at UHNM so we got to be child carers for the day.  I forgot what it is like to be a referee between a12 year old and a 10 year old.  The home schooling was also a revelation. [emoji23][emoji23]

Goodness, not sure I could cope with 12 year olds school work! I’m a primary school governor and I’m amazed by the young children’s knowledge of all the grammatical terms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

Sounds like you have had a wonderful day.

I'm really pleased for you.

Graham x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sounds like you have had a wonderful day.

I'm really pleased for you.

Graham x

It certainly made up for all awful things things that we've had to go through since lockdown. Seeing and cuddling my two little loveys again after all this time was just the tonic I needed. 

Avril  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

It certainly made up for all awful things things that we've had to go through since lockdown. Seeing and cuddling my two little loveys again after all this time was just the tonic I needed. 

Avril  

Really pleased for you, Avril!  At last!!!  You must have been so happy.

We saw our two grandchildren for the first time in weeks (since Christmas for me) a few days ago - that was good too.  No contact at present though, just distanced in the garden.  Four year old to my wife: "Can't come near you Granny, I'll kill you!".

Also met what could well be a new daughter-in-law for the first time.  Delightful, and just perfect for our son.  A good few days!

Harry

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

We are also happy for seeing some of our grandchildren , we had 3 come round yesterday and played in the swimming pool for four hours and picnic in the garden much safer place than our beaches at the moment if anyone saw on the news last night Bournemouth / Southbourne. traffic is horrendous and rubbish being left everywhere , people traveling down from afar as bermingham  No social distancing at all 

We will stay at home until many are back at work and things start opening up again 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Goodness, not sure I could cope with 12 year olds school work! I’m a primary school governor and I’m amazed by the young children’s knowledge of all the grammatical terms.

Believe me I struggled with helping the 10 year old with her maths, they do everything in a totally different way to what we did, I could get the answer but not the by her method but at least I could check that she had the correct answer.

The 12 year old was easier because he had 2 online classes and some written French which is easy for me as I have Institute of Linguists qualifications in French an Italian, so I could help him.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

That must have been fantastic for you to see them.

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Really pleased for you, Avril!  At last!!!  You must have been so happy.

We saw our two grandchildren for the first time in weeks (since Christmas for me) a few days ago - that was good too.  No contact at present though, just distanced in the garden.  Four year old to my wife: "Can't come near you Granny, I'll kill you!".

Also met what could well be a new daughter-in-law for the first time.  Delightful, and just perfect for our son.  A good few days!

Harry

We we're over the moon, totally unexpected. I thought Heather would bring the cover down on her own considering the circumstances. As soon as I saw Ella I asked if I was.allowed a cuddle and her mum shouted yes from the kitchen. It was lovely to shed happy tears for a change.  How sad is it for a little four year old not to be able hug her Granny for fear of killing her? We can only hope that this ends soon, but it's good to be able to see family even from a distance.  Thursday seems to have been a very good day for some of us on here who have grandchildren. Heather also gave me a good talking to and said I have to start to go out now as I haven't had to shield,  but obviously to be careful. So I think on Monday I'm going venture into town. Just to the bank and Boots,  but it's a start. I can't hide away forever. 

Avril 

• Like 4

I decided to go into town this afternoon for the first time since February, we had a collection of cheques to pay in and bank with Santander who don't have online paying in. I was stunned by how quiet it was, drove straight into the multistorey car park and the ground floor only had 5 cars parked, walked round to the bank and there was no one in there so I was in and out in less than 5 minutes.  I don't know what the shops were like as I avoided them.   OH couldn't believe that I was back in 40 minutes.😂😂

I'm hoping it's quiet too. I chose Monday because it's not normally a busy day in town and the forecast for us is showers. No shops for me either except Boots which is a  necessity

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I decided to go into town this afternoon for the first time since February, we had a collection of cheques to pay in and bank with Santander who don't have online paying in. I was stunned by how quiet it was, drove straight into the multistorey car park and the ground floor only had 5 cars parked, walked round to the bank and there was no one in there so I was in and out in less than 5 minutes.  I don't know what the shops were like as I avoided them.   OH couldn't believe that I was back in 40 minutes.😂😂

Two and a half hours for me - phew

Today was prescription collection day so toddled down the village, got the prescription, bought some paint and plant food in Wilkinsons and queued for 20 mins in scorching sun just to ask about changing my bank account to one that did not have travel insurance. I am glad I waited, no problem they said and did it there and then, also discovered I had over £200 of unredeemed rewards, lovely and to top it all have an appointment to discuss house insurance. They are very keen to quote, plus a free security camera thrown in. The insurance is due soon and the price has increased by 14% since last year.

I have a plague of mange touses or whatever you call them, with several plants cropping and more to come. Lovely and sweet and crisp, raw of course. Also overrun with lettuce and the tomato deluge will begin next month.

Spoilt it all by booking another cruise for next autumn on Iona, the price was £300 more than the same cruise next spring. 😲

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 4