P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Morning all, playing catch up again.

We did take Mum and Dad home late Friday afternoon, I’d feel easier if they stayed here (they do have really steep stairs) but I can understand them wanting to be home.

Then Friday night we went to the evening reception of our good friend’s daughter. John really wasn’t keen but he enjoyed it when we got there. We only stayed a couple of hours but it was lovely to get out. Being old friends there were plenty of people we knew to chat to.

Yesterday we did some much needed shopping ( I have a few birthdays this month to buy for) then called in to mum and dad. Much discussion on moving to a flat, hard work ahead!

Today I’m all alone for the first time in 12 days! John at work. I’ll be mostly ironing and catching up with tv! Think it’s easing now but the rain has been hammering down since I woke up!

Have a good day all, belated happy birthdays to Presto and Brian. 

Sue - I forgot to say that you should apply for Attendance Allowance - or rather your parents should.  Certainly your Mum, probably Dad too.  It comes direct to their bank & they can spend as they see fit.  So, helpers, cleaners, taxi, hairdresser, anything.  Age UK have a good booklet on making an application

• Like 1

Ia anyone answering the door tonight to trick and treaters ?   have just answered the door to a little girl dressed as a witch ( mum was standing at the end of the drive) we didn't expect anyone trick and treating this year due to covid but fortunately we keep mini packets of Maltesers for my great nieces and nephew.  There are only 4 children in our close and one of my nieces rang me earlier to say that they wouldn't be out with their twins tonight, the other one's children are 14 and 12 and my nephew's son is 20 so I don't expect to be disturbed much.

31 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Ia anyone answering the door tonight to trick and treaters ?   have just answered the door to a little girl dressed as a witch ( mum was standing at the end of the drive) we didn't expect anyone trick and treating this year due to covid but fortunately we keep mini packets of Maltesers for my great nieces and nephew.  There are only 4 children in our close and one of my nieces rang me earlier to say that they wouldn't be out with their twins tonight, the other one's children are 14 and 12 and my nephew's son is 20 so I don't expect to be disturbed much.

We used to get lots of kids on Halloween, it is a big thing in the village. Sadly it is blowing a gale and pouring down here. Looks like we will be eating Heroes and Celebration sweets for the next six months.

Edited by yorkshirephil

We don't normally get any trick or treaters round here.  I don't think we have any for a good few years. We live in a cul-de-sac at the top of a road leading up from the main road with the railway on the opposite side of the road, so maybe that has something to do with it. I do have some sweets, just in case!!

The clocks changed last night just in time form Hallowe'en, it got dark at the back of four tonight. I hate winter, long, very cold and dark for 16 hours a day for most of it.

I get in sweets every year in case we get any bairns guising (guising is the Scottish and more ancient word for trick or treat) but most years my husband eats most of them on the first of November when no one comes. The house and driveway is lit up with candles and lanterns, it looks quite nice in the pitch dark.

Did you know that Halloween is basically a Scottish thing based on Samhain a Celtic festival. The name is a shortening of All Hallows’ Eve. To hallow een.

The Scottish word een is found in letters and poetry eg Burns Tam Glen

“Yestreen” at the Valentine's dealing, My heart to my mou gied a sten; For thrice I drew ane without failing, And thrice it was written, Tam Glen.”

Have a spooktacular night!

• Like 7

Hi Everyone. I'm playing catch-up plus plus plus. I've been so very busy this last week with early starts and late finishes and I haven't even had a chance to look at CC until tonight.  So, very belated happy birthday to all of you who's birthdays I've missed - and there are quite a few. So sorry.

Sue, you've got a lot on your plate right now and for the forseeable.  Look after yourself as well as mum and dad. You will need all the mental and physical strength you can muster so take whatever help is on offer and keep your own health and strength to the fore. 

Damian, sorry to hear you've succumbed to Covid. I wish you and the family a speedy recovery and that your darling Teddy keeps your spirits up.

Ccpm, I am just like you. I make knee-jerk decisions when something has upset, or gone badly for me, and very often regret them. You love where you live and I think that, devastatingly upsetting as this incident was, the memory will fade in time. You have been witness to something dreadful and you are still in shock yourself. Your brother's advice is sound and measured. Give yourself time.

Dreadful day down here with monsoon rain alternating with bright sunshine. Unfortunately there are quite a lot of fireworks going off so my little Teddy is sitting here shaking and shivering. He hates the noise. 

I wish you all a good week ahead and hope you all stay well and safe. Best wishes.  Jane.x 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We used to get lots of kids 8on Halloween, it is a big thing in the village. Sadly it is blowing a gale and pouring down here. Looks like we will be eating Heroes and Celebration sweets for the next six months.

Having recently moved into an apartment with an outer lobby, locked at dusk, and video intercom access; we have had no one pressing our buzzer tonight.

Edited by terrierjohn

23 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Having recently moved into an apartment with an outer lobby, locked at dusk, and video intercom access; we have had no one pressing our buzzer tonight.

DW caught me out a couple of years ago. I purchased bags of celebrations and turned the lights out and kept silent on the big night.

• Like 2

As expected we had no trick or treaters. 

Bright sunny morning with showers forecast and a bit colder than it has been.

Hope all those that are poorly are feeling better and everyone is well.

No work today so I thought I might make some scones to go with the clotted cream in the fridge, but other than the normal household chores I've got nothing planned.

Take care.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wowzz said:

All Souls Day tomorrow, so the Spanish are buying flowers in preparation.

IMG_20211031_120344495.jpg

Looks lovely Wozz and weather looks good.

Could I ask you a question about Sky Princess? Could you have a look where the isolation cabins are on deck 11? That’s if there are any on that deck. I have B304 booked and it sits between two fire doors so I am a little worried these cabins might be used. Also got booked B236 & B232.

If you don’t have time or would rather not I understand totally.

Hope you are having a lovely time, the weather will certainly be better by you than here today.

Thanks

Michelle

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

As expected we had no trick or treaters. 

Bright sunny morning with showers forecast and a bit colder than it has been.

Hope all those that are poorly are feeling better and everyone is well.

No work today so I thought I might make some scones to go with the clotted cream in the fridge, but other than the normal household chores I've got nothing planned.

Take care.

We thought that the weather and covid would keep the children away last night but there were quite a few including a young girl who I thought "I know that voice" but couldn't think who she was until her brother said " That's Es's auntie" as they walked away and she replied "Yes, Es told me to come round because she can't and her auntie always buys sweets for them".

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Looks lovely Wozz and weather looks good.

Could I ask you a question about Sky Princess? Could you have a look where the isolation cabins are on deck 11? That’s if there are any on that deck. I have B304 booked and it sits between two fire doors so I am a little worried these cabins might be used. Also got booked B236 & B232.

If you don’t have time or would rather not I understand totally.

Hope you are having a lovely time, the weather will certainly be better by you than here today.

Thanks

Michelle

We are on B deck in an odd numbered cabin, and there are no isolation cabins in our corridor. I got lost and went down the "even" cabins, and didn't see any isolation cabins there either, but I will check again.

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We are on B deck in an odd numbered cabin, and there are no isolation cabins in our corridor. I got lost and went down the "even" cabins, and didn't see any isolation cabins there either, but I will check again.

Thanks Wowzz

Michelle

After the dramatic recent weather it’s a gorgeous day today.  Warm (it’s November, so not 25C, but light-jacket-often-undone temperature) and bright.  A nippy little wind at times, but not very often.  So, 10000+ steps done, lunch eaten and nearly time for T20 cricket on the telly-box.

E98AA41E-8238-4330-96FB-42471E989BAE.thumb.jpeg.1e0bfa2a27d49ca2c2dc37e6e063053b.jpeg

Edited by Eddie99
  • Like 5

On 10/31/2021 at 4:23 PM, Eddie99 said:

Sue - I forgot to say that you should apply for Attendance Allowance - or rather your parents should.  Certainly your Mum, probably Dad too.  It comes direct to their bank & they can spend as they see fit.  So, helpers, cleaners, taxi, hairdresser, anything.  Age UK have a good booklet on making an application

Thank you for your kind words Eddie, I think my Dad may get it I’ll look into it.

Thanks also to Jane, I think I’m doing ok but my hair is looking awful so I think that’s where the stress has gone!! 

• Like 2

Dry but overcast and decidedly colder than it has been.

Today is supposed to be my last day at work, but I received a phone call yesterday asking if I was able to work the rest of this week as my colleague thinks she has covid and is awaiting a PCR test. Fortunately I haven't been in contact with her for a week, and my last LFT is negative. 

Take care and stay safe.

• Like 5