P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

26 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Dry but overcast and decidedly colder than it has been.

Today is supposed to be my last day at work, but I received a phone call yesterday asking if I was able to work the rest of this week as my colleague thinks she has covid and is awaiting a PCR test. Fortunately I haven't been in contact with her for a week, and my last LFT is negative. 

Take care and stay safe.

You too. Glad you've had no recent contact.

On a related subject,  has anyone tried to get a COVID-19 booster shot at a walk in centre?

Big announcement yesterday that they were open to anyone over 50 who had the last jab more than 6 months ago, but actually finding one that's doing them seems near impossible,  wherever you live.  They're doing the first and second shots, but not the booster.  Shortage of vaccines and shortage of staff given as the reason.

• Like 1

Update on our Daughters family.Her husband has been pretty whacked out for a week.She felt a bit rough,took a LFT ,showed a faint line which is a positive,next day no line, negative.Finally a PCR which proved positive.LFT cannot really be relied on.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is 3°C and sunny.

Today is 10 years since my late mam died so we will be going to the remembrance room at the Crematorium.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Graham.

A sad day for you Graham but I am sure many happy memories too. 
Take care

Michelle

• Like 2

Graham I'm sure you will have many lovely memories to revisit today especially.

It is very sunny here but crisp. Small dachsie thought he would decline a walk on those grounds so had to be semi dragged for the first few yards. However he soon cheered up when the butcher called to us and presented him with a bone which he carried all the way home in his mouth and which he is even now still chewing away at. I must say it is enormous so what animal it came from I don't know. 

Plans are non existent today as I have a delivery due.  Just a book, cleaning all the exciting stuff.

Em 

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is 3°C and sunny.

Today is 10 years since my late mam died so we will be going to the remembrance room at the Crematorium.

Graham.

Thinking of you Graham - I hope you gain comfort from the remembrance room and then have lots of smiles and laughter together when talking about your memories…….

Gill x

Bright and crisp morning 4C, seems we had a touch of frost overnight.

Just back from Booster jab, all very efficient at my GP Practice, arrived, booked in, was still sanitising hands when called, then 15 min wait afterwards. Opted not have flu vaccine at same time as I had a reaction 2 years ago, thought best to keep separate just in case as would know which vaccine caused it, told to ring in a book for next week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Update on our Daughters family. Her husband has been pretty whacked out for a week. She felt a bit rough, took a LFT ,showed a faint line which is a positive, next day no line, negative. Finally a PCR which proved positive. LFT cannot really be relied on.

Our experience is similar. Also, I'm not sure if the current batch of testing kits being supplied by the NHS (2nd photo) are as good as those supplied originally (1st photo). Our recent results have only showed an extremely faint line against "T" despite the subsequent PCR tests for Michelle and I being positive. When our son took a test 2 weeks back using the old kit the positive result ("T" line) was very clear.

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 1

They are still distributing both kits or at least they were a week or so before. I would prefer the Flowflex one because you only have to stick the Qtip up your dose and the result is ready in 15 minutes. The problem with it is getting that foil top off the vials 🤬

I had a couple of very faint positive lines but this was hours after the test. I checked online and the answer was ignore it because of the time delay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

On a related subject,  has anyone tried to get a COVID-19 booster shot at a walk in centre?

Yes, my daughter, immunosuppressed, received a letter telling her to go to the local walk in centre for her booster so a few days later along she trotted, only to be told that they'd stopped doing them due to the unmanageable demand.🥴 

I, for one, am heartily sick of certain politicians (Javid and Johnson for two) blaming the public for not taking up the booster when my experience is that everyone I know wants to have it but is having to wait. I booked mine the day I got my invitation, but the next available appointment was 21 November, making it 7 months and 1 week after my second jab, through no fault of my own.

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 10

9 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Yes, my daughter, immunosuppressed, received a letter telling her to go to the local walk in centre for her booster so a few days later along she trotted, only to be told that they'd stopped doing them due to the unmanageable demand.🥴 

I, for one, am heartily sick of certain politicians (Javid and Johnson for two) blaming the public for not taking up the booster when my experience is that everyone I know wants to have it but is having to wait. I booked mine the day I got my invitation, but the next available appointment was 21 November, making it 7 months and 1 week after my second jab, through no fault of my own.

That's what I'm hearing from friends across the country. 

The government is claiming that you can get a booster vaccine just by turning up at a walk-in centre, but large numbers of people are turning up to do just that and being sent away because there isn't enough vaccine for them (or the staff to vaccinate).

Sadly, although the original vaccine rollout was well handled and well coordinated, what's been happening since early September and the booster campaign has been absolute chaos. Misinformation, confusion, and as a result fewer and fewer vaccinations actually getting done at a time when it's absolutely critical because of waning immunity.  Somebody needs to get  grip, but it's all about positive messaging instead of positive action.  Rather like COP26.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

5c here this morning but blue sky and sun coming up. Double glazing misted up on the outside. 

Glad it's not only mine that does that! It's quite strange here. I live in a terrace of six houses and all the windows mist up in certain weather conditions both to the front and rear. Oddly, none of the other houses seem to get this - and they were built by the same builder at the same time...🤔

11 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The government is claiming that you can get a booster vaccine just by turning up at a walk-in centre, but large numbers of people are turning up to do just that and being sent away because there isn't enough vaccine for them (or the staff to vaccinate).

Sadly, although the original vaccine rollout was well handled and well coordinated, what's been happening since early September and the booster campaign has been absolute chaos. Misinformation, confusion, and as a result fewer and fewer vaccinations actually getting done at a time when it's absolutely critical because of waning immunity.  Somebody needs to get  grip, but it's all about positive messaging instead of positive action.  Rather like COP26.

No problems at our local walk in centre, the queue is long today, likely the nice weather. I am a volunteer and get my jab on Friday which is my shift to work. It ran 2 days a week but now an extra day. One day last week quite a few didn't turn up that had had appointments when the weather was bad. Probably some of the same people who didn't come last week. There are a few turning up at walk in that have not waiter 182 days since their second jab so were turned away.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

You too. Glad you've had no recent contact.

Big announcement yesterday that they were open to anyone over 50 who had the last jab more than 6 months ago, but actually finding one that's doing them seems near impossible,  wherever you live.  They're doing the first and second shots, but not the booster.  Shortage of vaccines and shortage of staff given as the reason.

Sadly, that is typical of the government in relation to the NHS. Keep making all these promises but in most cases haven't bothered to discuss with the NHS Authorities as to whether it will be possible...

• Like 2

Strangely enough, Harry, the only person I know who has had the booster is my elder brother, who lives in Middlesbrough, a pretty deprived area, and he reckons everyone he knows who qualifies for the booster has been offered it. 

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is 3°C and sunny.

Graham.

Hope you have drawn some comfort from your visit Graham.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Britboys said:

Hope you have drawn some comfort from your visit Graham.

Thank you.

It is nice but sad to read my mam's memory that we had paid to be in the book of remembrance after her death which is locked in a glass case with the page opened for today's memories.

Graham

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The local rag has got hold of this story today (remember the EDP from your Norfolk days? A shadow of its former self, but at least surviving). Apparently, our nearest walk-in centre for booster jabs is in bandit country, aka Suffolk, not somewhere any self respecting Norfolkian would entertain visiting, even to save their lives.:classic_blink::classic_biggrin:

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 1

What a beautiful day - the sun has been shining since first thing and it’s warm and calm.  Hard to believe it’s early November.

Wrt walk-in booster jabs - none in town but it appears they are available if you’re happy to drive half an hour or an hour.  Fortunately I already have mine booked for Friday.  Not at the GP this time, at a pharmacy centre.  I have mixed feelings about the change - our normal GP surgery, acting as hub for, I think, 7 local practices did really well for doses 1 and 2, with logistical help from lots of volunteers.  But it really clogged the normal work, so I suppose it is good to take the boosters elsewhere.

Here’s a bit of Weymouth sunshine.  Can you believe we had to take our jackets off and were  perfectly comfortable in one layer of long sleeved cotton jersey tops?

FCFF5768-6501-491C-A1F6-D402CC2FA33C.thumb.jpeg.e201fe3d328f62423e21f9984e5dde20.jpeg

Aurora/Arcadia (I can’t remember which) is still in the bay, looking lonely now the two Queens have gone.  She’s on the extreme left of the first picture but easier to see in the second

BB359D91-9D8B-4C7E-AF24-6C9B45624736.thumb.jpeg.611cc4e6a80458511de30f3c9b790251.jpeg

B4C64CB9-2F0B-4CC1-A1F9-3B66C371961C.thumb.jpeg.f099deb262f28bc49a4bb0805f2efc10.jpeg9

• Like 8

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

The local rag has got hold of this story today (remember the EDP from your Norfolk days? A shadow of its former self, but at least surviving). Apparently, our nearest walk-in centre for booster jabs is in bandit country, aka Suffolk, not somewhere any self respecting Norfolkian would entertain visiting, even to save their lives.:classic_blink::classic_biggrin:

I do, Annie - and the Ipswich Star. My wife still reads both online.  Same story in our papers here - the supposed walk in centres for the booster jab are pretty much non-existent.  Our local CCG says the national system doesn't apply to this county either!  So much for a 'National' Health Service then.  I wonder just how many places there are in England actually offering the service - one person turning up here yesterday after travelling for an hour and a half was sent away and she's quoted in the press as saying that's it. She's not going to bother at all now.

Your fine city of Norwich has a John Lewis. When it was still Bonds, our 13 year old son (I'd like to deny any involvement here, but my parental responsibility was lacking that day) realised that he could unlock the screensavers on all the PCs on display.  When we left (pretty quickly!) every single one of them was displaying the message 'Ipswich Town thrash inferior Norwich City yet again' - and there was a very puzzled and worried looking salesman.  I suppose it was a more updated version of the trick we used to play, which was setting off all the toys that played tunes in Woolworths.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6