P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

39 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Thank you everyone for your well wishes  for tomorrow’s op , I also couldn’t get cc working this afternoon and thought I’d done something wrong , glad it’s up and running now as  I will be taking my iPad in hospital with me so I can keep a eye on you guys 😉 just had my last meal for a few days probably ,as having part of my stomach put back in its place and wrapped in a jacket so the doctors say , supposed to be keyhole but could revert to open surgery and depending if I can swallow afterwards I might get home same day 

Eddie your new little pup is gorgeous 

Avril I’m going to make your pineapple tart when I’m back up and running sounds fantastic 

🤞Good luck.x

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Would you? I don’t know what their protocols are, I just post and try to avoid anything too contentious.😀

If someone reports your post as offensive, political etc or if you go off topic which happens often but someone reports it you can be warned  or suspended for 5 days.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

Going to break out next week, on our 175th day, we hope we have played out part in keeping every one safe.

Currently 21 in 100.000 round here, will be going to 4 in 100,000.

Sea air and some golf, badly needed.

Also managed to get shopping slots, so will not need in inter-react with others in a close environment.

Still pretty scared to be honest, but not necessarily for myself.

• Like 4

Just now, mercury7289 said:

Going to break out next week, on our 175th day, we hope we have played out part in keeping every one safe.

Currently 21 in 100.000 round here, will be going to 4 in 100,000.

Sea air and some golf, badly needed.

Also managed to get shopping slots, so will not need in inter-react with others in a close environment.

Still pretty scared to be honest, but not necessarily for myself.

You have done your bit and I hope you have a great round of golf.

Take care and best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Thank you everyone for your well wishes  for tomorrow’s op , I also couldn’t get cc working this afternoon and thought I’d done something wrong , glad it’s up and running now as  I will be taking my iPad in hospital with me so I can keep a eye on you guys 😉 just had my last meal for a few days probably ,as having part of my stomach put back in its place and wrapped in a jacket so the doctors say , supposed to be keyhole but could revert to open surgery and depending if I can swallow afterwards I might get home same day 

Avril I’m going to make your pineapple tart when I’m back up and running sounds fantastic 

All the best for tomorrow 

• Like 2

How are things around here? Well 512 of my colleagues will be leaving at the end of the month. These are those who elected for voluntary redundancy, but that doesn’t give the company the 30% reduction equating to 650 jobs they wanted, so the mandatory redundancy process starts tomorrow. 

The travel business is in tatters, several of my friends who worked elsewhere also were notified that they are to be made redundant today. This is before the furlough scheme ends, but of course as of 1st September the government is only supporting the wage bills to the amount of 70%. Next month only 60%, so most employers want this sorted before they have to pay more. 

A dear friend has been diagnosed with liver and pancreatic cancer and has been moved into a hospice, but as we are in lock down, I can’t visit.

My father had a fall and ended up in A&E and appears to have been very lucky. 

What’s the positive in this post, well my parents may come across Ant and Dec as ‘I’m a Celebrity Get me out of here’ is being held in Gwrych Castle, Abergele, literally around the corner from them. Not sure this is a positive, but it is amusing. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Thinking of you and hoping all goes well. Perhaps we will meet on a future cruise? I think you were due to go on Arcadia and Ventura same time as me?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

To get the clearest picture of what’s happened, I like to look at information for deaths for all reasons.

Many more deaths than normal happened in April and May, at the height of the current wave of the pandemic. Which tends to suggest that the Coronavirus played a significant part in the deaths at that time

0DAD6781-BDBC-465D-B56D-7C21D43ADAFF.png

The numbers earlier reported that if someone died for any reason and had tested positive for CV-19 then that death was due to CV. Clearly that is rubbish. If somebody had an accident, bus, car, stairs, jetski etc how did they die from the virus. Better statistics are needed before making informed judgements. As a previous poster suggested the change to 28 days was a manipulation, I suggested otherwise.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

How are things around here? Well 512 of my colleagues will be leaving at the end of the month. These are those who elected for voluntary redundancy, but that doesn’t give the company the 30% reduction equating to 650 jobs they wanted, so the mandatory redundancy process starts tomorrow. 

The travel business is in tatters, several of my friends who worked elsewhere also were notified that they are to be made redundant today. This is before the furlough scheme ends, but of course as of 1st September the government is only supporting the wage bills to the amount of 70%. Next month only 60%, so most employers want this sorted before they have to pay more. 

A dear friend has been diagnosed with liver and pancreatic cancer and has been moved into a hospice, but as we are in lock down, I can’t visit.

What’s the positive in this post, well my parents may come across Ant and Dec as ‘I’m a Celebrity Get me out of here’ is being held in Gwrych Castle, Abergele, literally around the corner from them. Not sure this is a positive, but it is amusing. 

I hope your job is safe Pete.

Terribly sad news about your friend.

Pleased your dad seems to be okay and it would be nice for your mam and dad to see Ant & Dec and some of the celebrity's.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

The numbers earlier reported that if someone died for any reason and had tested positive for CV-19 then that death was due to CV. Clearly that is rubbish. If somebody had an accident, bus, car, stairs, jetski etc how did they die from the virus. Better statistics are needed before making informed judgements. As a previous poster suggested the change to 28 days was a manipulation, I suggested otherwise.

The graph I posted is deaths from all causes.

There were significantly more deaths than normal in April and May, which coincided with the height of the pandemic.  

It’s difficult to draw any other conclusion than Covid played a part in that.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

There were significantly more deaths than normal in April and May, which coincided with the height of the pandemic.  

I agree.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Perhaps. But perhaps not a significant role in each death. If I was positive and a raging bull gored me, is that in anyway significantly significant?.

Edited by zap99
Spellcheck

On 9/1/2020 at 5:27 PM, wowzz said:

If the level of non-compliance is that bad, you would expect the number of CV19 cases to be dramatically increasing, but thus is palpably not the case. 

Everyone was talking about how the rush to the beaches a few weeks ago was going to lead to hundreds more deaths, and yet, here we are, with minimal CV19 deaths. More people are dying from standard flu than CV19 at present!

Yes, I wear a mask, but I'm certainly not going to worry unduly if someone walks past me in Aldi without one.

Except the flu report appears not to be true, but a misinterpretation of ONS figures 

https://fullfact.org/online/flu-covid-death-certificates/

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

Pete - sorry to hear all your bad news. Whilst the media reports all the "big"  redundancies,  the smaller job losses that are just as awful tend to go unreported. 

I would hope that if the worst does happen to you job wise, you could start up your own operation  with former clients. Or, given your knowledge of cruising, how about a bespoke cruising agency?

I know it is easy yo give advice from afar, but you obviously have so much knowledge and experience,  that I would hope that you can put it to profitable use. 

Whatever happens, I wish you good luck.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

The Beagle Has Landed 😀

Not a beagle but I thought it was a good pun

A71B7ED5-B45D-452F-8195-36B61B633778.jpeg

13 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

The Beagle Has Landed 😀

Not a beagle but I thought it was a good pun

A71B7ED5-B45D-452F-8195-36B61B633778.jpeg

That's our Tommy,you've bleached his hair.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

That's terrible news  Pete, nobody should be subjected to Ant & Dec.. 

Joking aside, I hope your friend is as comfortable as can be and fingers crossed that your colleagues can find something suitable quickly. 

Unfortunately, we are all having to adapt our working conditions and will need to work harder for less, if we are fortunate enough to stay working. 

Bad luck can't last for ever, so I hope your tide turns soon. 

Andy 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

Hang in there Pete, I hope your hard work taking on more clients from your furloughed colleagues during lockdown is remembered and recognised when it comes to deciding the retained staff list. 🤞

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I think most of us go off topic and meander around it on occasion. I sometimes these side bars quite interesting.

But rules are rules I suppose.

Thread drift is fine on this post but not where someone has asked a specific question etc.  One newby's legitimate query got totally hijacked by two people and that isn't fair to them. Politics is off limits and will be deleted as will any hint to TAs. 

Here are the Guidelines if anyone has forgotten them. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/guidelines/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2