P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

31 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I have been using the BBC site, but having checked the government site, I can see that it gives very localised information, so I will carry on using it.

however, my local area is much worse than I previously thought - it’s literally Covid Central here. It’s difficult to understand why, as we’re not really densely populated and we have some open countryside as well.

But thanks for the link,  I will find it useful 

Thanks. I've been using the gov site for a while now but only tonight worked out that you can click on the local districts to see their figures and also scroll back in time with the date bar above the map. I must be slow on the uptake!!

• Like 2

On a lighter note we have booked a 2 night break at Thoresby Hall in Notts for February.We decided as we are unlikely to cruise until at least May or June next year we would try Warners  We got a very good Black Friday deal and refund if we have to cancel for anything covid re lated.Its good to have a break to look forward to 🙂 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, ann141 said:

On a lighter note we have booked a 2 night break at Thoresby Hall in Notts for February.We decided as we are unlikely to cruise until at least May or June next year we would try Warners  We got a very good Black Friday deal and refund if we have to cancel for anything covid re lated.Its good to have a break to look forward to 🙂 

We were looking this morning. I think we have until Monday to book. Warner's sales are so rare, aren't they.🤣

7 hours ago, kalos said:

A moment for us to reflect upon 

Nurse.thumb.jpg.1463ff83dd939f228f6ca2c82de4d98e.jpg

As I am sitting here this afternoon I am reflecting back on this past week.
My first shift of three, I got to work to find out I was being floated to the covid unit. Okay. Deep breath. Nothing I haven’t already been through.
As I got to the unit, you could feel a shift in the energy that I have not felt for a few months now. I grabbed my PPE, found my assignment and without hesitation the charge nurse saw me and said your patient in room ** is dying. Just like that.

These nurses see this every day and covid has normalized this for some. I had such a pit in my stomach knowing that out of my five patients one could die with just me by their side that night. These patients are scared. As a nurse, there is no worse feeling than feeling hopeless when you have done all you can do & have your patient tell you all they want now is for it to be over so they can go home.
After an extremely long night, I went to the bathroom and cried for the first time in my year of nursing. I cried because I know so many people that are no longer taking masking and social distancing seriously. I cried because this illness is affecting those of all age groups. I cried because covid isn’t just getting worse, it already is worse. We are seeing a spike in cases now just as bad as we did in March. The people were applauding healthcare workers a few months ago and now I see those same people saying it’s okay to get together in groups for the holidays. I know it isn’t easy not seeing your family and loved ones especially this time of year, but I can assure you it won’t be any easier from a hospital room with very little other human contact. On behalf of healthcare workers, we can’t fight this alone. We need our communities to come together and put the greater good first.
We are your nurses. We are fighting but we are tired. Please do your part and we will do ours ❤️

I do NOT in anyway want to take away the nightmare that our wonderful NHS people are going through but I think that there are key workers out there in a  number of jobs who feel and look the same.

You all know that I work in a school so nothing more said about that, but I am thinking of all of those other workers who go out every day (still frightened for themsleves and their families) but keep going. Just thinking of our wonderful ASDA home shopping people and the staff at our local M&S.foodhall who have soldiered on throughout.  There are so many out there who go out each day and are concerned about themselves and their families but do ..... 

• Like 10

31 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

The forum got spiky during last lockdown, perhaps its cabin fever, or lack of a cabin😊

I just can't be bothered to listen to it all, I now only check in to make sure my friends like Graham and the gang, (you know who you are,) are all OK. 

Lets hope the vaccine works, we all get it and don't grow second heads, and cruising resumes as we know it soon, so we can all have a Peroni in the Crows Nest... 

Andy 

Thanks Andy fortunately I am a lot better and Pauline is fine.

I'm pleased you posted because I was a little worried in case Michelle or yourself were not well.

Take care mate and we are  looking forward to those drinks on a ship with you both.

Graham & Pauline.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Andy fortunately I am a lot better and Pauline is fine.

I'm pleased you posted because I was a little worried in case Michelle or yourself were not well.

Take care mate and we are  looking forward to those drinks on a ship with you both.

Graham & Pauline.

We are fine thank you Graham, just a little bored and frustrated like the rest of the country but it is what it is.. 

Glad you are on the mend so you can start looking after Pauline... 

Andy 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Council published the local figures today, a 27% drop in infections compared to last week 448 new cases compared with 616 last week, worryingly the cases amongst the over 80s has risen. 

Thanks to hard work by the LA Public Health Team we have 7 testing stations in the borough of which at least 4 are walk-in useful for those without transport. People are being advised to get tested even if they don’t have main 3 symptoms, but have a couple from the secondary list,they then book a test online. We are expecting some rapid tests in the borough after the Council Leader made some noise about tackling the rapid rise in numbers in previous weeks. The CCG announced that they have plans in place to start vaccinations once vaccines approved.

The LA PH team even got a thank you from local MP, she usually has nothing good to say about council staff, the first time in 5 years she has thanked anyone from the council.

Have taken advantage of Black Friday today ordered my flower & veg seeds for 2021 at a £1 a packet. Also some clothes on one of the online sites we found during lockdown, I need to replace some of my ancient winter sweaters and 50% is a good time to do it.

48 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I do NOT in anyway want to take away the nightmare that our wonderful NHS people are going through but I think that there are key workers out there in a  number of jobs who feel and look the same.

You all know that I work in a school so nothing more said about that, but I am thinking of all of those other workers who go out every day (still frightened for themsleves and their families) but keep going. Just thinking of our wonderful ASDA home shopping people and the staff at our local M&S.foodhall who have soldiered on throughout.  There are so many out there who go out each day and are concerned about themselves and their families but do ..... 

Mrs Kalos and I was saying the same only the other day Teachers , Dustbin men , our shopping people, Factory workers , our son who sleeps out in his truck 4 nights a week to get things into the shops for us all .

They are all heroes as well as our amazing NHS :classic_smile: and many others !

Edited by kalos
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Well, stranger than fiction, but BBC local TV news in our region filmed in our village today and used it as an example on tonight’s local news of how the new tier system is both confusing and, in some respects, illogical. So I clearly have not been the only one pondering over this! Furthermore, thanks to the link posted by someone a few posts back, I have tonight looked at the stats for our specific district for the first time (only seen the whole county before). Just 4 positive tests in the most recent 7 days quoted (probably less now) and our infection rate is 48 in 100,000 which is significantly below the national average, yet we are going into tier 3 From next week. As far as I can work out, the justification is that the hospital that we would need to go to if we became very ill with Covid is under pressure. That would make sense but for the fact that I know someone who works there and the stats they gave me don’t support that. So I remain confused, but please don’t feel the need to explain or offer an opinion as I’m now exhausted with it all 😂 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I just can't be bothered to listen to it all, I now only check in to make sure my friends like Graham and the gang, (you know who you are,) are all OK.

That's what I've decided to do Andy. Things are bad enough at the moment and I would come on this thread for a diversion, a chat and a little light banter.  It's not the same now. I persevered for a while but enoughs enough. I still skim quickly  through the posts, react to a few, have a laugh with kalos and a couple of others and reply to one or two but I don't interact now, it's not worth the hassle. You and michelle take care and stay safe.

Avril

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That's what I've decided to do Andy. Things are bad enough at the moment and I would come on this thread for a diversion, a chat and a little light banter.  It's not the same now. I persevered for a while but enoughs enough. I still skim quickly  through the posts, react to a few, have a laugh with kalos and a couple of others and reply to one or two but I don't interact now, it's not worth the hassle. You and michelle take care and stay safe.

Avril

And you take care as well Avril , I may fire the post up on the Pub  before Christmas .:classic_smile:

Same goes for Michelle & Andy  too !   :classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know I posted earlier having a rant about our local Tesco Extra but I can’t wait  to talk about all things cruising again and it all be lighthearted & no stressing from us all - it’s been a terrible 2020 but I am glad I found this forum to read every day 

Michelle 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Well, stranger than fiction, but BBC local TV news in our region filmed in our village today and used it as an example on tonight’s local news of how the new tier system is both confusing and, in some respects, illogical. So I clearly have not been the only one pondering over this! Furthermore, thanks to the link posted by someone a few posts back, I have tonight looked at the stats for our specific district for the first time (only seen the whole county before). Just 4 positive tests in the most recent 7 days quoted (probably less now) and our infection rate is 48 in 100,000 which is significantly below the national average, yet we are going into tier 3 From next week. As far as I can work out, the justification is that the hospital that we would need to go to if we became very ill with Covid is under pressure. That would make sense but for the fact that I know someone who works there and the stats they gave me don’t support that. So I remain confused, but please don’t feel the need to explain or offer an opinion as I’m now exhausted with it all 😂 

In Jeans area, South hams, it's about 60 and amongst the lowest in the country but tier 2.

18 minutes ago, kalos said:

And you take care as well Avril , I may fire the post up on the Pub  before Christmas .:classic_smile:

Same goes for Michelle & Andy  too !   :classic_smile:

Just make sure you get the pub in tier 1,or 2 and serve salad with the pasties🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Mrs Kalos and I was saying the same only the other day Teachers , Dustbin men , our shopping people, Factory workers , our son who sleeps out in his truck 4 nights a week to get things into the shops for us all .

They are all heroes as well as our amazing NHS :classic_smile: and many others !

A socially distanced mega hug from all of the key workers .. whatever 'key worker' means. Everyone who has helped / sacrificed in any way has been and is important.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Take care Avril and Frank.

I will miss your humour and lovely posts.

It would be great to just talk about cruising again.

Graham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Lol I take your comment as a joke.

I hope you or anyone else especially on here don't have to go through what I did with Covid19.

Graham.

It was a joke unless you want to see it as a conspiracy theory. 

First time round with this Covid we didn't know anyone who had it, it all seems a lot closer to home this time.

36 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

Sad if people are leaving us 😞 You can influence this thread by staying ........ the chat is what I look forward to at my otherwise eventless weekend. Stay with us people please ---- 

• Like 7

Just now, Presto2 said:

Sad if people are leaving us 😞 You can influence this thread by staying ........ the chat is what I look forward to at my otherwise eventless weekend. Stay with us people please ---- 

PS Sad if my lockdown buddies leave now ---- we've been together since March 😞 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Well I have just been to our local Tesco Extra to do a food shop and to say I am angry and disappointed is an understatement.
It was very busy with people going in continuously. The sanitising station was set well back from the door with spray & hand gel available. About 95% of people were just walking straight past it!!! I couldn’t believe it, I just wanted to tell them to stop and sanitise their hands. A member of staff was stood inside welcoming people into the store so I had a word with him about someone been actually at the door checking everyone cleaned their hands. I was so angry I have emailed the store manager.

Marks & Spencer & Booths manage to ensure hands & trollies are clean why not Tesco? They should be leading the way by example been the market leader. We are just about to go into Tier 3 as well!! 

Apologies for the rant 

Michelle 

What is more important is that you use sanitiser after you leave the store.

And as for gloves - just a complete waste of time and money, and potentially causing more cross contamination, than non-usage,  unless the wearers know exactly  how to put them on, take them off, and how to safely dispose of them.  The sight of a woman in Aldi licking her gloves before delving into the bread section will live with me forever!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

It would be lovely to talk about anything without arguing and occasionally insulting each other. In these depressing times we need to support each other. This particular thread  did that,  but not anymore.

Avril

• Like 9