P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Cold, cold, cold but dry and, somehow, the bitter, biting East wind doesn’t feel quite as bitter and biting.  We’ve made our sortie out to the dog field and are now settled back in for the day

What about the cricket?!!  Worth getting up at 5.30 for.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Cold, cold, cold but dry and, somehow, the bitter, biting East wind doesn’t feel quite as bitter and biting.  We’ve made our sortie out to the dog field and are now settled back in for the day

What about the cricket?!!  Worth getting up at 5.30 for.

Excellent win for England.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

What does this mean for cruising. I have 2 cruises booked for this year, May and September. I have already written off the May one and await with impatience for P&O to admit it and give me FCC. I now think the September one is unlikely as well which is rather depressing. These are meant to be our golden years and not just huddling down awaiting the inevitable.

Then you have the confusing reporting from the media including the BBC. What is the difference between

No more snow they said last night so I woke up this morning to to another couple of inches. That means more snow clearing and the rubbish collection won't happen. I am getting more depressed and I know the symptoms because I have been there before, not a good day so far.

Oh dear Dave , not easy is it ? As others have said talk anytime on here if it helps.:classic_smile:

Looking at your top post, we all see where your coming from and wonder will it ever end

and let us get on with our golden years but we all know life is what you make it and not

always what you expect as I found out recently and a few others on here with serious 

conditions . We have to live what life throws at us mate but look for the good things 

and the good times will be there ,do not allow life to get you down Dave , not easy but 

you're not on your own mate that I can promise you . We will all get there in the end.

Today do you have to clear that snow ? Ours is about 2" deep and it can stay put , if 

someone was to fall better to hit snow than concrete. As for your rubbish we had the 

same last week , they came in the end ,four days late but who cares ? Apart from the 

poor bin guy who's out in it all getting to your bins . Don't worry be happy !

When your feeling down I would avoid reading the papers too in depth, leave all that

stuff to the experts , if some one posts they do not like /trust what a politician says ,

that's fine but that's their problem , you have enough to worry about without getting 

dragged down by such things . Please Dave think Happy and you will be .:classic_smile:

Give one of your mates a ring and have a chat that should help .

Can we find you a new hobby  :classic_wink: ??

I would not advise winter sports such as Sledging chances are you would go downhill

fast :classic_unsure: I  know what would suit you !   A nice book something along the lines of ...

Adopting And Caring For Your Cats  or if not get your coat on and go for a nice walk ,

you could even track your cats in the snow Dave .:classic_smile:

Keep safe & keep posting ..it's good to talk .

• Like 12

No more snow they said last night so I woke up this morning to to another couple of inches. That means more snow clearing and the rubbish collection won't happen. I am getting more depressed and I know the symptoms because I have been there before, not a good day so far.

As a fellow sufferer I know where you are right now, and it is very tempting for people to say 'Cheer up, things will get better' and hope it helps. It's true, it will get better, but when you're in that 'zone' it's hard to see it. Have a word with your doctor first Dave, and maybe some mild medication can help if you think your depression may get worse. I have had a few worrying symptoms myself during this past year and occasionally found it hard to cope, but I used a theraputic trick my doctor taught me years ago when I went through a very bad period.  I know it will be difficult at the moment, but try to focus on all the good and positives in your life, because I am sure there must be many, and if needs be, write them down so you can add to it daily or re-read. CC was also a lifeline for me, and was a great help during the bad times. Just keep posting and chatting to us, and I will help you as much as I can. It won't be long until you're back to your normal cat-scaring self and your depression will melt away, just like the snow🙂

Avril

• Like 15

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

Keep reading and posting on here Dave.

We are all in this together and understand.

Kalos and Avril have given you great advice.

Take care mate.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 8

Ours is an old 1850 house and the heating is not coping today.  I am wearing layers as well as the heat being on.  Can't wait to light the fire this afternoon.  That will be after I have been out with the dog.  We have sleet and it's very windy.  Brrrrr

• Like 1

Although none of us can know exactly how you are feeling - we all know that current times are hard.
As has been said by many of your mates on here - we are all ready to listen and sometimes just writing it down and even telling people you’ve never met how you are feeling can help enormously.
We are here for you if and when needed.

• Like 13

Agree with all of you.  This seems rather endless.  Even with a vaccination, I feel tied to the house apart from the odd walk and odd appointment.  I can't wait to go away somewhere and have someone else feed me.  The takeaway on Saturday was nice, but...................

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

Matt Hancock in parliament now on TV  232  regarding travel update.

Whats 232.  On Sky thats Alibi!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

Agree with all of you.  This seems rather endless.  Even with a vaccination, I feel tied to the house apart from the odd walk and odd appointment.  I can't wait to go away somewhere and have someone else feed me.  The takeaway on Saturday was nice, but...................

Whats 232.  On Sky thats Alibi!!

We have Freeview TV 

• Like 2

So sorry Dave.  Everything's pretty sh** at the moment isn't it? People appear to be suffering more these last few months than ever before.  The good thing is you can recognise the symptoms early.  I know, I've also been there.  Be careful no-one tells you to "pull yourself together" - 3 of the most over-used and least-understanding words I have ever heard!  Seriously Dave, this forum is just so brilliant for understanding, for empathy, and for all-round goodness.  This no-man's-land is pretty depressing in itself. We can't make any plans, we seem not to have anything to look forward to, and if anyone else tells me there are many worse off than you, I may get violent!  We're all here for you Dave.  Best wishes.  Jane.x

• Like 13

Well said,sound advise from you guys,especially Kalos and sis.Wish I could put a like and laugh emoji on yours Kalos.Hang in their Dave,2 more days and it will be melted.More frustration for me not being able to do my morning walk.

• Like 3

kalos you are an 😇 

Dave - lots of good wishes from all here.  If you can find what you need within yourself, then that’s great.  If you feel you need a bit of a leg-up from pharmaceuticals, then give your surgery a call or drop an email.  No-one needs to be Superman just now ... just tick over till it becomes OK again

We’ve all done so well, really.  How can you reward yourself Dave?  Can you get a nice meal delivered?  Buy a cosy jumper? (Good idea just now!) Plan a really special 22/23 holiday?  
Did you ever get that electric bike/trike?  Might be an idea to look at that again?   I think there could be quite a long time between us being permitted local journeys and foreign holidays.

I won’t say Chin Up, ‘cos that isn’t what you need to hear.  Do you listen to Radio5 on Friday afternoons?  The Film Programme?  Anyway, this is their saying, and has been for ages, way before Covid

”It’ll all be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright it’s not the end” x

• Like 5

What lovely comments form everyone supporting each other during what feels like a never ending lockdown. I always have daffodils in the house as soon as I can, the colour makes me feel happy knowing Spring is just around the corner

Michelle

• Like 7

Was it you who first mentioned daffodils Michelle?  Way back last month?  If it was, thanks!  I’ve had a bunch delivered each week with my Tesco groceries.  One of the best £1s worth I ever buy.  They come as tight buds but the warmth of the house brings them out by day 2 and they bring sun into the house all week

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

What lovely comments form everyone supporting each other during what feels like a never ending lockdown. I always have daffodils in the house as soon as I can, the colour makes me feel happy knowing Spring is just around the corner

Michelle

It’s sometimes the small things that do keep you going, like the daffodils.

There is no doubt that it is a hard time for everyone right now, this seems to be going on forever. In December the vaccine offered some hope and light but now any semblance of normality seems a while away yet.

This morning I threw snowballs at the cat who was stalking my bird table. There was something very satisfying about that (didn’t aim for it, just near it to scare the vicious little besom away). There was the usual robin in attendance and he made the garden look like a Christmas card.

Everyone has the things that cheer them up or make them smile for a bit. I have been watching old comedy’s, ordering cheese and wine and abusing the resident bird killer with snowballs - all very therapeutic.

I also find myself muttering a quote from Julian of Norwich (who lived through the Black Plague).

All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Was it you who first mentioned daffodils Michelle?  Way back last month?  If it was, thanks!  I’ve had a bunch delivered each week with my Tesco groceries.  One of the best £1s worth I ever buy.  They come as tight buds but the warmth of the house brings them out by day 2 and they bring sun into the house all week

It might have been me!!! I always buy them as soon as they come into the shops after Xmas. They just brighten the house up and my mood. They are coming up in the garden now and the snowdrops are out

Michelle

• Like 4

I braved Tesco this morning and was pleased to hear the announcement being played every few minutes telling everyone that face coverings were a legal requirement unless you are medically exempt and any one seen not wearing one to cover both mouth and nose would be asked to leave the store.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

I braved Tesco this morning and was pleased to hear the announcement being played every few minutes telling everyone that face coverings were a legal requirement unless you are medically exempt and any one seen not wearing one to cover both mouth and nose would be asked to leave the store.

That’s good, there is always someone with their mask around  their chin. 

Michelle

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

And Tesco now has 16 in a £1 bunch - at the beginning of the season it was 9.

Why oh why am I counting my daffodils?:classic_unsure:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

Pauline likes daffodils too.

• Like 1

On the daffodils front I planted a 100 or so in the garden in the Autumn, starting to peak through now, but have snowdrops, crocuses, polyanthus and dwarf irises giving the garden some colour at the moment. Looking across the road into the churchyard I can see plenty of colour with flowers people have placed on graves. So spring is not far off, will be starting off my dahlia tubers towards end of month once greenhouse is insulated and heating in low. For something to do yesterday I sorted my seed packet out, a few gone past use by date, created a sowing list for those I will be using including those harvested from garden last year. Be glad to be able to get back in the garden, even for a hour or so.

• Like 5