P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

21 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Changing the subject slightly, has anyone noticed an unusual jump in car insurance premiums lately? 

Mine came through this morning and they’re up by just over 20% (LV) for no obvious reason. Obviously, I’ll check around and negotiate, but just wondered if this is a typical increase?

Ring them and tell them you are shielding and check the mileage you have on your policy.

I rang and got money back next day on my credit card from both our policies as we are working from home and doing hardly any driving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Josy - that is lovely news.  I am thankful for the internet at present, as I am sure you will be, in that we can see photos of how the little ones are progressing online - even short videos and facetime calls.  We have a great granddaughter, now 3 months old, who was,  like Springsteen, 'Born in the USA' , so there is no chance of any of us seeing her for quite some time.  

A marvellous change from the 'olden days', when you got photos in the snailmail.  And a huge boost to morale at present.  Some of my friends genuinely like having one sent to them occasionally, just to see the  innocent little face, with perfect skin - cheers you up no end.

Love how you snuck in a Bruce reference there!

25 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Changing the subject slightly, has anyone noticed an unusual jump in car insurance premiums lately? 

Mine came through this morning and they’re up by just over 20% (LV) for no obvious reason. Obviously, I’ll check around and negotiate, but just wondered if this is a typical increase?

My renewal shot up last September, shopped around got cover for £60 less than my renewal, with improved cover.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Thanks Ann, no ironing board yet but I haven't opened all my prezzies so can't be sure😉, no big boxes left but maybe its an inflatable ironing board.

Happy Birthday Phil!

Snap! It's mine today too!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Ring them and tell them you are shielding and check the mileage you have on your policy.

I rang and got money back next day on my credit card from both our policies as we are working from home and doing hardly any driving.

Thanks Graham. I haven’t phoned them yet - just collecting information and other quotes at the moment.  Up till now LV have always been the lowest for these cars - both Group 14, and both an identical £240 to renew.

I suspect they’ll still be cheapest, but a 20% increase seems a lot. Mileage on each of the two in the last 12 months well under 1000!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’m also with LV and mine only went up about £12 to just under £300pa so was quite happy with that. Maybe query increase with them?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DamianG said:

You did the right thing to express your feelings on here Dave and I for one was heartened reading all the lovely responses so in a roundabout way you've done me a good favour.

I felt the same way.   I felt better and heartened just reading the replies. 

This might sound strange but I have a friend of 35 years. We very rarely meet, we don't send cards, and we never invite each other for family or personal events, BUT I know we can ring each other at three in the morning if needed.  We can be sad, happy, annoyed or it can be confidential feelings and we know that it will never go any further.  That once a week, usually hilarious, phone call  is worth all the therapy in the world and the feeling of being able to say anything and express any emotion is priceless .. for both of us.

Anyway, I am still here,  We are camping out like two old scouts/Brownies, hoping the move will be on Monday.  It is turning out to be very funny. We are determined to laugh it off.  How do you peel potatoes without a proper knife.. we went to open a tin.. no opener.  I made a shepherds pie as other half found an old frying pan at his house.. we made it then put it under the grill with the handle hanging out.. it was wonderful.  The packers stuck the bag of dirty washing behind  boxes  piled three high with about a foot gap,  it was a case of who could breathe in the most and for the longest 😆  I lost!!!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks Graham. I haven’t phoned them yet - just collecting information and other quotes at the moment.  Up till now LV have always been the lowest for these cars - both Group 14, and both an identical £240 to renew.

I suspect they’ll still be cheapest, but a 20% increase seems a lot. Mileage on each of the two in the last 12 months well under 1000!

I still use a broker for my insurance so if the previous insurer jacks up the policy price they quote me an alternative or 2 with more reasonable costs. It seems to be the way now give you a good deal in year one then sting you the following year or hope you just auto renew, even though that is supposed to have been outlawed.

1 minute ago, DamianG said:

Happy Birthday Phil!

Snap! It's mine today too!

Happy birthday ! :classic_smile:

Seeing it's your Birthday I have been looking for Roundabout jokes  but I just keep 

going around in circles but this one may cheer you ,the old ones are the best !

Paddy and Mick are blind drunk and going home from a night out and realize that they don’t have enough money for a taxi so they decide to go to the Bus Depot and steal a bus. …

Mick breaks into the depot as Paddy stands as a lookout. …
After a while, Paddy decides to see what is keeping Mick, so he looks through the gate where he sees Mick running from bus to bus looking worried . …
“What the hell are ye doing?” Hissed Paddy.
Mick replies, “I can’t find a number 6 bus anywhere, Paddy.”
Holding his hands to his head in disbelief Paddy barks, “You idiot Mick, steal a number 8 and we’ll get off at the roundabout and walk the rest of the way.” :classic_unsure:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

What mileage do they have you down for on your policy?

We have both on LV and get discount for 2 cars.

I got £70 back because of Lockdown.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Love it and would have picked this up but now I'm back working...talking of which I must stop reading this thread and get on!

I knew you would Damian and I deliberately didn’t mention you because I know you are working and have family responsibilities.

Maybe someone will pick it up and run with it?  I know I haven’t got the sticking power to see it through.  I’d leave everyone stranded on Bali or something (not the worst place to be stranded though!)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

What mileage do they have you down for on your policy?

We have both on LV and get discount for 2 cars.

I got £70 back because of Lockdown.

They’re both on a 4000 mile maximum, Graham, with the 2 car discount. They looked at the lockdown refund last year, but reducing the mileage to 1000 didn’t change the premiums.

To be honest, the new premium of £240 per car isn’t out of the way for a decent insurer like LV (includes 2 additional named drivers) but a £40 increase on £200 seems high.

Negotiation, as always, and they’ll doubtless reduce it, but always best to be informed before negotiating!

The only company I’ve found that refuses point blank to negotiate is John Lewis (Royal and Sun Alliance) Home Insurance.  Their line is that their renewal quote is the lowest price, take it or leave it. Still competitive though, and excellent to deal with - even to the extent of paying several hundred pounds for a boiler repair which strictly speaking wasn’t covered because I’d had to get the job done quickly by Worcester Bosch instead of their own repairers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

They’re both on a 4000 mile maximum, Graham, with the 2 car discount. They looked at the lockdown refund last year, but reducing the mileage to 1000 didn’t change the premiums.

To be honest, the new premium of £240 per car isn’t out of the way for a decent insurer like LV (includes 2 additional named drivers) but a £40 increase on £200 seems high.

Negotiation, as always, and they’ll doubtless reduce it, but always best to be informed before negotiating!

The only company I’ve found that refuses point blank to negotiate is John Lewis (Royal and Sun Alliance) Home Insurance.  Their line is that their renewal quote is the lowest price, take it or leave it. Still competitive though, and excellent to deal with - even to the extent of paying several hundred pounds for a boiler repair which strictly speaking wasn’t covered because I’d had to get the job done quickly by Worcester Bosch instead of their own repairers.

You may as well keep the 4000 miles if they don't give discount for less than that.

If you park on your drive,park in your garage or even what your job title is like a manager makes a difference to the quote.

3 weeks before your car insurance runs out is a good time to check because if you leave it till the last minute they look on you as a risk taker.

£240 seems a reasonable price but if they can give you it for the same price as last year it would be great.

Good luck Harry.

Graham.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I knew you would Damian and I deliberately didn’t mention you because I know you are working and have family responsibilities.

Maybe someone will pick it up and run with it?  I know I haven’t got the sticking power to see it through.  I’d leave everyone stranded on Bali or something (not the worst place to be stranded though!)

Thanks Eddie.

Yes, I now have a job and next on my wish list is a jab !

• Like 5