P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Wow I don’t come in this thread for a day or two and loads happens!

Had a lovely day off yesterday as was hubby’s day off too. We ventured out to a country park which is mostly woodland. Felt very safe as not many people there (we went early) Then home for lunch in the garden then hubby had his much longed for ‘tip’ slot booked and he got rid of some of the rubbish we’ve got piled up from our old kitchen, all very organised he said and hardly queued to get in.

Re b&q my hubby has decided our local Screwfix is a much better bet.  You order online and it’s all bagged up waiting for you - normal social distancing queue to get in then you’re in and out in two minutes. You can only go in if you’ve ordered online. 

As for people spitting at you Avril that’s disgusting. I worked in Sainsbury’s for a while when my son was little. I had a lady and a girl buying a thank you card for her teacher as she’d passed her 11 plus. I asked her what school she was going to - it was the Grammar school I’d gone to. I said ‘oh I went there’ You should have seen the look on the mum’s face! She was obviously thinking ‘you went to grammar school and now work here’ Snob!!

I can't understand why people look down on other people just because of the job they choose to do.  If you are happy what business is it of anyone else.  I think that if I had ever been out of work I would have preferred to do anything rather than sit around collecting benefits.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I know. I went on to night school and got A level Maths and O level English. I find age has a lot to do with it as well. I did till training at work and while training a young college student I happened to mention a qwerty keyboard. 'Oh,do you know what a qwerty keyboard is?' he asked, and I was really insulted. I told him that the hairs on my head might be grey but they're growing out of fertile ground.

Never assume anything. 

Avril 

Brilliant! I’ll have to remember that one!

Today I had a lovely lady on the phone saying she wanted to thank me for all we’re doing. ‘I’m only admin’ I said  - no dear she said don’t say ‘only’ without admin nothing would get done! 😊

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I can't understand why people look down on other people just because of the job they choose to do.  If you are happy what business is it of anyone else.  I think that if I had ever been out of work I would have preferred to do anything rather than sit around collecting benefits.

Exactly! If she’d had half a brain she would have realised I was doing a job which fitted well in with  my school age son at the time.

My husband works in a warehouse and my son in a supermarket- I’m grateful they still have money coming in and proud they’ve worked all through this situation.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Says you can now see 6 people. I’m assuming this is if your not shielding. I dunno. Suppose it’s heading in the right direction 

What he didn’t say, and to me it is important, is whether you can travel more than 50 miles to meet a family member in the garden. My mother lives 70 miles away and I don’t know whether I can now visit her.

13 minutes ago, pete14 said:

What he didn’t say, and to me it is important, is whether you can travel more than 50 miles to meet a family member in the garden. My mother lives 70 miles away and I don’t know whether I can now visit her.

I think you can drive a long way now for exercise so go visit your mum and walk around the garden a lot !!!

(As long as it isn't Wales !!)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Sounds reasonable to me Pete but under the new .GOV guidelines I would start your journey around midnight to avoid any road traffic

.It could be handy to travel with a pair of Night-Hawk glasses and should you get pulled over by the police 

they will be assured by the fact you were simply testing them out for future road trips.

I see no reason for not going to see your mother as the UK government have discovered that this virus can only count up to six .

Have a nice time Pete .:classic_unsure::classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I don't think any distance was given, but you can't stay overnight and if you have a BBQ the sausages have to social distance.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Says you can now see 6 people. I’m assuming this is if your not shielding. I dunno. Suppose it’s heading in the right direction 

No change for those in the extremely vulnerable shielded group, but one of the questions asked by a member of the public during the briefing received a detailed answer as to why, and some positive comments about the possibility of changing that in the foreseeable future if infection rates fall.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

No change for those in the extremely vulnerable shielded group, but one of the questions asked by a member of the public during the briefing received a detailed answer as to why, and some positive comments about the possibility of changing that in the foreseeable future if infection rates fall.

so I’m still not supposed to see my gran who’s 88. 

she’s not happy with this. I did find out the other day that’s she’s not behaved and my aunt was visiting her once a week like before all this when they dropped the shopping off. 

I can’t say anything. She’s on her own and I feel so awful for her now grandpa isn’t here. I don’t think she’s coping mentally but she’s a strong Yorkshire woman so she  won’t actually say. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

i feel for your Mrs. I know you’ve said she is missing the kiddies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

My mother lives 90 miles away and I can in theory visit to meet in her garden but can't go inside the house to use the loo!!Don't think I could last all day without using the facilities!!

5 minutes ago, ann141 said:

My mother lives 90 miles away and I can in theory visit to meet in her garden but can't go inside the house to use the loo!!Don't think I could last all day without using the facilities!!

You can use the bathroom, and you can walk through the house. Chris Whitty said.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, happy v said:

You can use the bathroom, and you can walk through the house. Chris Whitty said.

I knew you could walk through the house to get to the garden.I must have missed the bit about being able to use the bathroom Thank you.

17 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

i feel for your Mrs. I know you’ve said she is missing the kiddies. 

Thanks - I've been able to give her a little ray of hope, in that they do seem to be talking about some sort of end game within sight:

Chief Medical Officer for England Professor Chris Whitty said he hoped that "relatively soon" the number of infections would be low enough to start letting shielded people leave home.  He said the number of infections had to down to reduce the risk for the shielded and vulnerable:

"And we will get to a stage, we hope relatively soon, where the absolute risk of people has gone down to a low enough level it will be possible in stages for people to leave shielding".

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

We rented a beach hut at Waton for two weeks each August, driving there each day in my Dad's A30, and later,  A40. The hut was at the Naze end, near the coastguard station . I can still remember the massive games of cricket we played when the tide was out. Happy days!

Sounds like my childhood Wowzz... 

We used to traipse up from Naze Marine holiday park with the wind breaks etc and spend all day on the beach with my mum putting the kettle on the little calor gas hob in the Beach hut. 

Walton is still beautiful and relatively untouched. 

Andy 

I hope we’re making progress.  I hope the easing of restrictions goes well.

Have you noticed this (assuming my source is correct; I haven’t interrogated the figures myself) - There were 377  UK Covid deaths reported today, a rise of 39 on last Thursday. 
This is second consecutive week-on-week increase, 412 deaths yesterday compared to 363 for last Wednesday.

I noticed a small uptick in the yellow line on the graph - rolling 7 day average. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I hope we’re making progress.  I hope the easing of restrictions goes well.

Have you noticed this (assuming my source is correct; I haven’t interrogated the figures myself) - There were 377  UK Covid deaths reported today, a rise of 39 on last Thursday. 
This is second consecutive week-on-week increase, 412 deaths yesterday compared to 363 for last Wednesday.

I noticed a small uptick in the yellow line on the graph - rolling 7 day average. 

I don’t think I’m paying much attention apart from reading bits but I did read that it’s was normal flu level deaths or something. Or is it winter levels. 

2020 is gonna be a weird year that’s for certain 

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

I understand that is okay now although you can't hug and must keep 2 metres apart.

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

so I’m still not supposed to see my gran who’s 88. 

she’s not happy with this. I did find out the other day that’s she’s not behaved and my aunt was visiting her once a week like before all this when they dropped the shopping off. 

I can’t say anything. She’s on her own and I feel so awful for her now grandpa isn’t here. I don’t think she’s coping mentally but she’s a strong Yorkshire woman so she  won’t actually say. 

He did say that grandparents can now see their grandchildren, he didn't specify any age limits so you can see your gran so long as it is the garden.

Edited by Josy1953

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

You can use the loo as long as all the surfaces are wiped and you wash your hands.