P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

I hope we’re making progress.  I hope the easing of restrictions goes well.

Have you noticed this (assuming my source is correct; I haven’t interrogated the figures myself) - There were 377  UK Covid deaths reported today, a rise of 39 on last Thursday. 
This is second consecutive week-on-week increase, 412 deaths yesterday compared to 363 for last Wednesday.

I noticed a small uptick in the yellow line on the graph - rolling 7 day average. 

The stats are very misleading. The death reported figure includes deaths that occurred several days, in some cases a couple of weeks ago or more. That is why weekends are always lower because fewer deaths are actually reported over a weekend. This week has had a Bank Holiday which affects the figures even more. It is clear that the trend is in a downward direction which is clearly good news but comparing actual days with the same day in a previous week is not helpful. 

3 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

He did say that grandparents can now see their grandchildren, he didn't specify ant age limits so you can see your gran so long as it is the garden.

she’s on the shielding list. So not supposed to I don’t think 

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Sounds reasonable to me Pete but under the new .GOV guidelines I would start your journey around midnight to avoid any road traffic

.It could be handy to travel with a pair of Night-Hawk glasses and should you get pulled over by the police 

they will be assured by the fact you were simply testing them out for future road trips.

I see no reason for not going to see your mother as the UK government have discovered that this virus can only count up to six .

Have a nice time Pete .:classic_unsure::classic_smile:

You can give them a hug as long as you are both in padded bags.  " Mum, I'll be over in a Jiffy"

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Sounds like my childhood Wowzz... 

We used to traipse up from Naze Marine holiday park with the wind breaks etc and spend all day on the beach with my mum putting the kettle on the little calor gas hob in the Beach hut. 

Walton is still beautiful and relatively untouched. 

Andy 

Ah yes, the calor gas ring in the hut!

We still take Mum to Walton when we visit her in Colchester (her parents were Master and Matron of the workhouse that became St Mary's Hospital) but the town itself has fallen on hard times  and is quite depressing to visit.  We prefer Frinton nowadays, which has come up in the world a lot over the last 10 years or so. And there is even a Greggs for a sausage roll fix!

25 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We still take Mum to Walton when we visit her in Colchester (her parents were Master and Matron of the workhouse that became St Mary's Hospital) but the town itself has fallen on hard times  and is quite depressing to visit.  We prefer Frinton nowadays, which has come up in the world a lot over the last 10 years or so. And there is even a Greggs for a sausage roll fix!

Proper brew ups in the hut were with a primus. Not this new fangled calor gas stuff😁.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

My Dad never liked taking us to Frinton as kids as it didn't have a pub for his cheeky pint... 

We went to Walton last year and it has hardly changed, the town was always a bit run down and stuck in a time warp, part of its charm. 

The only noticeable difference was the market in the pub car park is not what it used to be. 

At least it has a pie n mash shop now... 

Andy 

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Beautiful day here again this morning. Looks like another hard days work on the sun loungers. 😉

Avril 

At least you did not have to get up at 4am and put a towel on it :classic_wink: Have a nice day :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

there definitely seem to be more people around.

You'd be surprised how many people think it's nearly all over as lockdown is released slightly, despite the fact that about 400 people will probably die to day and thousands of new infections will be reported.

Edited by Pine Man
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

You'd be surprised how many people think it's nearly all over as lockdown is released slightly, despite the fact that about 400 people will probably die to day and thousands of new infections will be reported.

I've just posted on ' how will passenger numbers be reduced' thread on this exact subject. Barnsley is now Yorkshire's virus hot spot, so no, it's far from over in the north unfortunately. So stay in and stay safe.

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47

Upticks everywhere.

The R rate here is almost 1 and the associated status is Uncertain, ie, it’s not known which way it is going.

I think I can guess

VE parties

False ‘starting gun’ at 6 May PMQs

Ridiculous press articles wrongly anticipating easing

PMs permission to hold BBQs

Second spike coming and the poor NHS staff haven’t even had time to draw breath.

Take care everybody.  Consider your own risk and act on it but please consider your civic duty too - even if others who could and should do better have let you down

4AA4FD0B-C7E4-4312-9211-6F5559DD6D7E.jpeg

• Like 2

The second wave in the 1918 flu epidemic killed far more people than the first wave.

Quite why anyone would imagine that there won't be a second wave, when the virus is as infectious and virulent as ever,  escapes me.

What really matters is the timing, and how well the government has prepared for it. On the strength of the performance so far I'm not optimistic. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Quite why anyone would imagine that there won't be a second wave, when the virus is as infectious and virulent as ever,  escapes me.

Harry, wouldn't dispute the possibility of a second wave, but before that arrives, herd immunity it will have greatly increased. 

Interesting article the other week from an academic , who wrote that the "R factor " was less accurate than a long range weather forecast,  and that in fact, a higher R factor amongst the general population was, within reason, a good thing. The greater the herd immunity the better, as long as the weak and vulnerable are protected.  At the moment the policy is a "one size fits all" scenario, which unfairly discriminates against the young and the fit.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The second wave in the 1918 flu epidemic killed far more people than the first wave.

What really matters is the timing, and how well the government has prepared for it. On the strength of the performance so far I'm not optimistic. 

I think that the lifting of restrictions has been too fast and has been done because a certain advisor's behaviour gave the impression that it was ok to ignore the lockdown rules.  Some of us will continue to be careful but others will go mad, it is these who will fire the 2nd wave.  I just pray everyday for my family members and their colleagues who are working on the NHS front line.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I think that the lifting of restrictions has been too fast

Any slower and the economy would never recover. Sometimes pragmatism has to take precedence. The poverty and unemployment that would result if restrictions continue for much longer, would cause more deaths in the long term than CV19.

Aside from the weather being terrible and no chance of escaping this madness we have here in Caldwell, everything is just orderly fine. Its more about how you plan and execute your time rather than things going on around you. Its like being on a party but being totally board or sitting in a library and being super excited. So yeah.. things are just floating their way by me. And I just enjoy the time I have no matter how good or bad it is