****CARNIVAL CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU LIVE???

Host Carolyn

1 hour ago, jamscckmc said:

Our governor in VA is a little late to the party. He just today closed gyms and theaters and made restaurants takeout and delivery only. He did close schools for the rest of the year. On a personal note my daughter's long  planned April wedding is postponed indefinitely as is our retirement and moving plans. 

So so sorry to hear this -  your daughter must be so sad!  I hope you at least did not lose too much money.  But, this will pass and you all  can plan again... 

LA county, Orange county, San Diego county have shut down the beaches. Over this last weekend, no one was taking the virus seriously enough and the beaches were crowded. In LA, the curfew has been taken down to 8pm from 11pm.

Been in house almost two weeks !!!! been doing jigsaws and moving stuff around in the basement. Salvation Army is going to love me.

Everything is closed or drive up so people are doing good at following the rules

Stay safe and calm, just itching to go on cruise again sometime 

We are now under a stay at home order. I'd say people are taking it pretty seriously. I went out to the park this afternoon and nobody was there. I"m talking 82 degrees. Sunny. Birds are chirping. I was there for two hours...alone. Very unusual for that time of day. As I was leaving two people showed up at the tennis court. 

I made my first trip to a full grocery store since getting back from California two weeks ago. It's amazing. I know I've seen it on TV but it's another thing to see it in person. The entire aisle that would have toilet paper, paper towels, and kleenex was wiped out...totally empty. You could buy anything in the store except that.

• Like 2

I retired two weeks ago.  What a crazy time  - I now have all the time in the world and nowhere to go.  We celebrated my son's birthday on the 13th at a very nice restaurant- Eddie Merlot's - all you can eat King crab legs and after that things started going downhill quickly. We laughed and said that was probably our last meal out for a long time.

My husband is in a very high risk group so we have been staying in and I have ordered groceries on line and pick them up at Kroger.  Things I ordered on Friday were not ready until Monday and then another order I placed yesterday won't be available until Thursday.  Paper products and cleaning supplies still aren't in stock.

Each day I get in my car and just drive around a little to see what is going on - no interactions with people, so all is good.  Yesterday I finally ordered a pizza because I'm so tired of my cooking - it tasted WONDERFUL.

I hope the weather starts to get nicer soon because it would be great to start working outdoors and do some yard work.

Our county goes on lock down Thursday at 8am for 3 weeks...grocers will be insane tomorrow! Sounds like a lot of you are in the same situation.  Hope you'll stop by and let us know how you are doing and we have a fun Memory Lane thread going

1 hour ago, Host Carolyn said:

Our county goes on lock down Thursday at 8am for 3 weeks...grocers will be insane tomorrow! Sounds like a lot of you are in the same situation.  Hope you'll stop by and let us know how you are doing and we have a fun Memory Lane thread going

Carolyn, thank you for starting this thread. It's a wonderful diversion, rather than all the chaos going on in the cruise industry. 

With your lockdown, won't you still be able to go grocery shopping? Here all the grocery stores are open. I noticed Pep Boys was even open for business. Life for us hasn't changed much. For a change of pace, the wife and I walked a mile this afternoon. The exercise does help, and I can sure use the exercise! :classic_laugh:

I'm from a suburb of New Orleans and we're taking an especially hard hit, likely from the huge numbers of people who came here for Mardi Gras.  Most people are beginning to know someone who is infected.   Our governor ordered us to stay at home but unfortunately not everyone is taking it seriously and our hospitals are becoming overwhelmed.  My daughter is a nurse and has to re-use her one mask that she was issued.  We are only supposed to leave the house to pick up groceries or food from restaurants that are pick up or drive through only.  Our hospitality industry is really taking a hit.  Lots of our businesses are still open which I don't quite understand (Like who is going to be buying a new car right now).  My husband has to go to work since he is an administer for our state transportation dept.  Apparently, road projects are continuing.  I am retired and keeping my fingers crossed that our May 9th cruise will go on as planned, however, I seriously doubt it.  I hope everyone stays well.

On 3/23/2020 at 4:18 PM, jamscckmc said:

Our governor in VA is a little late to the party. He just today closed gyms and theaters and made restaurants takeout and delivery only. He did close schools for the rest of the year. On a personal note my daughter's long  planned April wedding is postponed indefinitely as is our retirement and moving plans. 

Hi, VA neighbor! We're in NoVa (northern Virginia for those not familiar with the term) and people are still out and about, though traffic is way down. I don't think yesterday's announcement by the governor has quite sunk in yet, though it did dawn on me that my hair appointment is now cancelled (boo!). Things might get ugly after a few more weeks with no hair or nail salons!

My DH is now out of a job temporarily and is not getting paid, which really stinks because that's our cruise money, but at least my job is safe. I'm in local government, so I'm considered "essential." My office is working with a skeleton crew and most people are working from home. 

My son is graduating from college in May, so at this point we don't know if there will even be a graduation ceremony. It's hard to see the look of sadness on his face when we talk about it. We had a May cruise booked as part of his graduation gift, but that's been cancelled and we re-booked for July. Of course, with DH out of work and no idea if the travel industry will be up and running, there's no telling if it will get cancelled as well.

I'm seriously over 2020. Can we just skip the rest of it?

New to the forum so please be patient with me 😐 first post. We have a cruise scheduled May 17th haven't received ANY emails from carnival so I don't know what's going on. Advice needed here, would you still cruise in May or reschedule? Any opinions on what a May cruise would look like given the circumstances?

Thanks for any help!

16 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Carolyn, thank you for starting this thread. It's a wonderful diversion, rather than all the chaos going on in the cruise industry. 

With your lockdown, won't you still be able to go grocery shopping? Here all the grocery stores are open. I noticed Pep Boys was even open for business. Life for us hasn't changed much. For a change of pace, the wife and I walked a mile this afternoon. The exercise does help, and I can sure use the exercise! :classic_laugh:

Glad you can get out!!! Azaleas out here, lovely and lots of pollen...We can go to grocer, drug store, doctor, take out and delivery from restaurants. Home Depot and Lowe's will be open and were packed today cause it will be good yard work weekend. Friends in healthcare can't even see grandkids but my neighbor is letting fiance and other daughters boyfriend visit..smh 😯😨

Y'all be careful now.....

5 hours ago, Mrvic said:

New to the forum so please be patient with me 😐 first post. We have a cruise scheduled May 17th haven't received ANY emails from carnival so I don't know what's going on. Advice needed here, would you still cruise in May or reschedule? Any opinions on what a May cruise would look like given the circumstances?

Thanks for any help!

This thread is to discuss conditions where people live.

I would not book anything before at least September but thats just me. Very unlikely any ship wiill sail in May. Here is link to a thread that may be helpful

Today is the 1st day of the stay at home order here in Austin.  Fortunately my job is considered critical so i'll still be able to go to work.  My company has been very proactive.  They started temperature screening of everybody that enters the building.  Anyone at or above 100.5 is not allowed to enter.  That was changed just this week to 99 point something. 

I'm supposed to cruise on 4/19 but i'm quite sure that will get canceled.  So sure that I already booked a cruise to replace it at the end of Aug.  Once cruises are open again ships are going to fill up quickly for the remainder of the year so I figured i'd plan ahead.  If my Aug cruise gets canceled, well I still have my Royal Caribbean cruise in Dec.  LOL

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

We are now under a stay at home order. I'd say people are taking it pretty seriously. I went out to the park this afternoon and nobody was there. I"m talking 82 degrees. Sunny. Birds are chirping. I was there for two hours...alone. Very unusual for that time of day. As I was leaving two people showed up at the tennis court. 

I made my first trip to a full grocery store since getting back from California two weeks ago. It's amazing. I know I've seen it on TV but it's another thing to see it in person. The entire aisle that would have toilet paper, paper towels, and kleenex was wiped out...totally empty. You could buy anything in the store except that.

Today they had police barricades blocking off the park entrance. 

I hope everyone is weathering this storm well. We all can do our part in the fight against this so we can get back to cruising. We must think of those who have lost their income source or had it greatly reduced. Please give extra tips etc to those you can. They will appreciate it so much. Just think of all those stewards we love so much that have no income and the economic system from which they come. Please on our return to the ships we love please be kind and generous.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oh58ac said:

I hope everyone is weathering this storm well. We all can do our part in the fight against this so we can get back to cruising. We must think of those who have lost their income source or had it greatly reduced. Please give extra tips etc to those you can. They will appreciate it so much. Just think of all those stewards we love so much that have no income and the economic system from which they come. Please on our return to the ships we love please be kind and generous.

Thank you for posting.  You are so right!  Up until now I was thinking 'how will the cruise lines ever recover?'  But, in fact, they have deep pockets, the government will probably be able to help them out and sadly we may see higher prices for future cruises.

But, for the workers, this is devastating.  Many of the crew send money home to their families and while they may have a roof over their head and food - the tips they sorely depend on are non-existent right now.

Please remember this when you take your next cruise and help these folks out. 

• Like 1

We will be under the stay at home order, starting tomorrow at 5pm, no toilet paper to be found😁 No meat in the grocery stores, no paper towels, stores had already been closing down. The Covd-19 cases in our state tripled in one week. But as we all know, this too shall pass.

Edited by mouche

On 3/23/2020 at 12:15 PM, candigirl41 said:

I heard from a friend in Pennsylvania they can't even get liquor.  Fortunately for us our supermarkets have all alcohol.  I know some states have strange rules about where you can buy it.

We do have more restrictive rules here.  Liquor can only be purchased at state run Wine and Spirit shops (possibly could buy directly from local distilleries), but a few years ago they did make a provision for some grocery stores and gas stations to sell beer and wine if they had cafes in them.  I was grocery shopping yesterday and able to get 2 bottles of wine🍷

On 3/25/2020 at 12:46 PM, Mrvic said:

Thanks for any help!

Welcome, Mrvic 🙂 Our cruise is booked for May 16th and also haven't heard.  There is a "Travel Advisory" notice at the top of Carnival's web page which should give you more information.  Our cruise is scheduled to depart from Manhattan, so I can't see it not being canceled.  We are waiting for them to cancel though.  Carnival is supposed to be making an announcement on Friday.

@coevan, thank you for updating us that you are retiring.  I know you are in the restaurant business and was concerned about you during this crisis.  Congratulations 🙂 

We are retired and live in a tiny village in the mountains of Colorado. My youngest son, who is disabled lives with us, as well as my husbands' son, his girlfriend and their two kids. We were only officially shelter-in-place this morning, but we have been practicing it for almost a month. 

We were supposed to get our goats bred, but have to wait until things are better now.

Before the shelter-in-place the guys were going fishing about twice a week. thought with the new restrictions they would have to stop, but did a little research and they can still go fishing.

The boys and I have started learning something new every week. This week we are making gorgous cakes with russian decorating tips. these are sooooo easy to use and makes you look like you are some kind of artist.

next week we will be learning some simple magic tricks, the next, hopefuly juggling [if my son will teach it] and not sure what from then on, but we are having fun with it.

Game night used to be every other week. Now it is every other day. 

Either Billie Jean [Anthonys' girlfriend] or I bake bread, brownies, or cakes almost every day and we are giving 'fushion" cooking some really great competition [ jamaican fajitas last night, incredible!] 

and we spend alot of time praying for everyone and everything connected to this pandemic. 

It'll be kindof nice getting to know some of the people here better.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

@coevan, thank you for updating us that you are retiring.  I know you are in the restaurant business and was concerned about you during this crisis.  Congratulations 🙂

The timing was really unbelievable. We feel bad for the new owners. We closed the transaction 2/1. 28 years at my Colorado restaurant. 50 years in the biz, since college. 

• Like 1

I am in Mid-America, so things aren't as hard here as on the coasts and in port cities. We are to shelter in place and tonight all nonessential businesses must close. There are some shortages, but nothing great. I worry for the frontline personnel. I worry that they are overwhelmed and undersupplied. I am supposed to cruise in June, but not sure if that will happen. 

On 3/25/2020 at 10:03 AM, prekcruiser said:

I'm from a suburb of New Orleans and we're taking an especially hard hit, likely from the huge numbers of people who came here for Mardi Gras.  Most people are beginning to know someone who is infected.   Our governor ordered us to stay at home but unfortunately not everyone is taking it seriously and our hospitals are becoming overwhelmed.  My daughter is a nurse and has to re-use her one mask that she was issued.  We are only supposed to leave the house to pick up groceries or food from restaurants that are pick up or drive through only.  Our hospitality industry is really taking a hit.  Lots of our businesses are still open which I don't quite understand (Like who is going to be buying a new car right now).  My husband has to go to work since he is an administer for our state transportation dept.  Apparently, road projects are continuing.  I am retired and keeping my fingers crossed that our May 9th cruise will go on as planned, however, I seriously doubt it.  I hope everyone stays well.

I think car dealerships are open for their service departments.

• Like 1