ALASKA RUBY MAY 23

tbirfblue

Hi  We are sailing on Ruby May 23 Alaska, I have been monitoring the room availability for this sailing the last week, checking balcony aft, specifically Caribe since this is where our room is.  I have noticed everyday more and more rooms becoming available on Aloha, Baja, and Caribe.   I am beginning to think booked passengers are not going to wait for Princess to cancel, passengers are just cancelling themselves.   I believe our window to cancel for funds returned to cc is in next few days.    And Princess keeps changing the cancelation policy and don't even know what it is anymore.  LOL.   And with Ruby having some CV19 passengers currently in Australia, are they really going to sail in the next 60+ days.   We have not booked air yet either, plenty of seats available from Milwaukee to Seattle on Alaska Air.    Should we cancel, wait for Princess?  Crazy times!!  

Thanks- Enjoy your day!

13 minutes ago, tbirfblue said:

Hi  We are sailing on Ruby May 23 Alaska, I have been monitoring the room availability for this sailing the last week, checking balcony aft, specifically Caribe since this is where our room is.  I have noticed everyday more and more rooms becoming available on Aloha, Baja, and Caribe.   I am beginning to think booked passengers are not going to wait for Princess to cancel, passengers are just cancelling themselves.   I believe our window to cancel for funds returned to cc is in next few days.    And Princess keeps changing the cancelation policy and don't even know what it is anymore.  LOL.   And with Ruby having some CV19 passengers currently in Australia, are they really going to sail in the next 60+ days.   We have not booked air yet either, plenty of seats available from Milwaukee to Seattle on Alaska Air.    Should we cancel, wait for Princess?  Crazy times!!  

Thanks- Enjoy your day!

We were in this same exact situation with our cruise leaving 5/16/20 on Ruby.  Unfortunately, was getting nervous about waiting and wanting our funds freed up.  Went ahead and cancelled on Thursday (day before 50/50 kicked in).  Then next day read about Ruby situation,  just feel like we made the right decision.  Everyone has to look at this individually and make their own choice. It was a difficult one to make as we had so much time and money invested in this bucket list cruise with our adult children. However, I don't have any regrets at this point, since it seems things are getting worse rather than better. 😪. Good Luck with your decision!

• Like 1

We are currently booked on Golden Princess for roundtrip Alaska cruise out of LA.  Since we live in the area, we do not have to worry about airfare.  We are currently on a "wait and see".  If they cancel  we will probably book a future cruise.

If I were in your position, I would not want to purchase airfare that you then have to try and get a refund or airline credit, along with your cruise credit - too much money hanging out there.  I would cancel your cruise and plan to rebook for future if you still want to cruise.

This is my opinion

2 hours ago, roxievegas said:

We are currently booked on Golden Princess for roundtrip Alaska cruise out of LA.  Since we live in the area, we do not have to worry about airfare.  We are currently on a "wait and see".  If they cancel  we will probably book a future cruise.

If I were in your position, I would not want to purchase airfare that you then have to try and get a refund or airline credit, along with your cruise credit - too much money hanging out there.  I would cancel your cruise and plan to rebook for future if you still want to cruise.

This is my opinion

We are on the same cruise. 

We also have no flights involved. 

We are waiting for the cruise or the cancellation.  If the former, we will have a grand time.  If the latter, we will have a different grand time, then cruise as soon as practicable.

I want to believe that even if the ship is way under booked that Princess, if they are cruising after the moratorium, won't cancel a cruise because of bookings.  It would muck up their message that cruising is a go.

With Canadian ports closed until July 1st, do you really think you’re going on an Alaskan cruise in May?

We cancelled our May 17th Emerald cruise yesterday and will rebook another time. I feel pretty sure there will be some fantastic deals once normal service is resumed. 

• Like 3

I think that the cruise will be cancelled.  But since I have no travel difficulties getting to port, I can afford to wait until they cancel the cruise and then take whatever offer is on the table.  We do plan to take a cruise in the future.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 12:24 PM, 13cheermom said:

We were in this same exact situation with our cruise leaving 5/16/20 on Ruby.  Unfortunately, was getting nervous about waiting and wanting our funds freed up.  Went ahead and cancelled on Thursday (day before 50/50 kicked in).  Then next day read about Ruby situation,  just feel like we made the right decision.  Everyone has to look at this individually and make their own choice. It was a difficult one to make as we had so much time and money invested in this bucket list cruise with our adult children. However, I don't have any regrets at this point, since it seems things are getting worse rather than better. 😪. Good Luck with your decision!

What is the 50/50? 

We have seen only the right to cancel with 48 hrs notice and get FCC 100%.  Or if they cancel you can have a refund!

We are waiting for them to cancel as we do not want to mess with re-booking when we do not know when things will return to normal and the cruise we decide to take will probably cost more as we had a super deal on the May 16th Ruby.

1 minute ago, gmjc2 said:

What is the 50/50? 

We have seen only the right to cancel with 48 hrs notice and get FCC 100%.  Or if they cancel you can have a refund!

We are waiting for them to cancel as we do not want to mess with re-booking when we do not know when things will return to normal and the cruise we decide to take will probably cost more as we had a super deal on the May 16th Ruby.

If you go back and look at original booking confirmation it lists cancellation dates and fees.  For us after final payment date (2/17/20 - 3/20/20), would be a $100/pp fee and rest cash refund.  The next time frame was between (3/21/20 - 4/17/20), which would be a 50% fee of cruise fare and 50% cash refund.  Then anything between (4/18/20 - 5/1/20) went to the 75% cancel fee, 25% cash refund.  We went ahead and cancelled before the 3/20/20 date to have minimum amount on FCC which on our email shows just the $100/pp on FCC and rest on cash refund.  Whenever that will be??  🤔

1 minute ago, 13cheermom said:

If you go back and look at original booking confirmation it lists cancellation dates and fees.  For us after final payment date (2/17/20 - 3/20/20), would be a $100/pp fee and rest cash refund.  The next time frame was between (3/21/20 - 4/17/20), which would be a 50% fee of cruise fare and 50% cash refund.  Then anything between (4/18/20 - 5/1/20) went to the 75% cancel fee, 25% cash refund.  We went ahead and cancelled before the 3/20/20 date to have minimum amount on FCC which on our email shows just the $100/pp on FCC and rest on cash refund.  Whenever that will be??  🤔

Thanks. We are well past our 100% cancellation fee so I thought you were referring to a new update on the current policy.

With all Vancouver and Victoria ports closed until July 1 the only way AK cruises can cruise before then is for the federal government waive the PVSA so that the ship does not have to stop in a foreign port.  It has been done on a case basis emergency in the past.  Will they waive it for a couple months, who knows.   The alternative is to find another foreign port within reasonable distance which is a challenge.  This all is predicated on the cruise ships starting to cruise again which also is doubtful.  I wish all good luck so that we all can cruise again soon.

19 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

With all Vancouver and Victoria ports closed until July 1 the only way AK cruises can cruise before then is for the federal government waive the PVSA so that the ship does not have to stop in a foreign port.  It has been done on a case basis emergency in the past.  Will they waive it for a couple months, who knows.   The alternative is to find another foreign port within reasonable distance which is a challenge.  This all is predicated on the cruise ships starting to cruise again which also is doubtful.  I wish all good luck so that we all can cruise again soon.

Any West Coast ports, including Alaska, opening up to cruise ships is very, very doubtful for the foreseeable future. We'll find out. Maybe the inconceivable will happen. I guess dreams are for free...

35 minutes ago, teamflames said:

If it sails hope they have disinfected it and removed infected crew. Research shows virus was found in cabins of asymptomatic passengers 17 days after they left.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One lady died today who was on the last cruise and over 130 infected passengers throughout Australia now. And some flew back to the USA. It's left an awful mess. 

Edited by Pushka

3 hours ago, Pushka said:

One lady died today who was on the last cruise and over 130 infected passengers throughout Australia now. And some flew back to the USA. It's left an awful mess. 

This just seals the deal for us, was hoping Ruby would stay clean based on it's sailing itinerary, goes that's not happening.  Theres just no way to keep it from spreading until everyone stays in self-quarantine for a period of time.  We live in a smaller town, however our state has decided to stop everything for a certain time period.  We will abide and follow the rules, for our own safety as well as others.  Please everybody make good sound decisions with your health as well as your neighbors!

7 hours ago, teamflames said:

If it sails hope they have disinfected it and removed infected crew. Research shows virus was found in cabins of asymptomatic passengers 17 days after they left.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The CDC published the following report:

SARS-CoV-2 RNA was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated on the Diamond Princess but before disinfection procedures had been conducted (Takuya Yamagishi, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, personal communication, 2020). Although these data cannot be used to determine whether transmission occurred from contaminated surfaces, further study of fomite transmission of SARS-CoV-2 aboard cruise ships is warranted.

They did not conclude the RNA found was viable or transmissible.  In the case of the Diamond Princess, they concluded that it was a sick passenger (possibly two) that brought the virus onto the ship and then, infected the crew ... not the other way around....at least not in the beginning.  The trick is, don't allow any passengers on that are infected ... not sure how that will ever be monitored.  Even if days before the cruise, everyone has to bring a certificate showing they test negative, they could still test positive 10 days later and then also spread it to the crew and other passengers.  Crazy times, for sure!  

• Like 1

I am booked on the May 16 Ruby cruise and called today to ask about it and was basically told just to hold on a few weeks to see what they are going to be doing with the cruises that are scheduled to sail into Canada before July 1.  But he seemed to think they will probably cancel (he did not say this, I just asked and he audibly nodded lol and I am guessing).  Very nice rep on the phone - I thanked him for taking the time to speak with me and he was very appreciative.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mibele said:

I am booked on the May 16 Ruby cruise and called today to ask about it and was basically told just to hold on a few weeks to see what they are going to be doing with the cruises that are scheduled to sail into Canada before July 1.  But he seemed to think they will probably cancel (he did not say this, I just asked and he audibly nodded lol and I am guessing).  Very nice rep on the phone - I thanked him for taking the time to speak with me and he was very appreciative.  

well, my cousin was just booked on a June 5th cruise on another line and they just canceled her cruise, stating they wouldn’t be sailing up to Alaska until after July 1st ... so, there you have it.  I’m sure princess will follow ... I have zero doubts!  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mibele said:

Yes, RCI announced they would delay Alaska on all four of their brands until July.  Expect PCL will follow.

In addition, due to port closures around the world, Royal Caribbean added they expect to return to service for Alaska, Canada and New England sailings July 1, 2020.

• Like 2

Hi.  So I was going to cancel our May 23 Alaska Cruise (im the op) today. we are in the 57 day window for full cruise back to cc and deposit as fcc.    Talked to princess rep just a bit ago and she said I can wait til the 48 hr before to cancel and the cruise would be a cc refund and deposit as fcc.  Is this correct?    It doesn’t sound correct to me.     We really just want all our $$$ back on cc.   How do I do this or what do I do?   Wait for Princess to cancel us? Lol

We all know Alaska will be cancelled for this cruise but when I asked her about Seattle port being closed indefinitely, Canada is pretty much closed she said Princess doesn’t have that info and still deciding on things.  REALLY?    Couldn’t believe her response.!!   

Thanks

7 minutes ago, tbirfblue said:

Hi.  So I was going to cancel our May 23 Alaska Cruise (im the op) today. we are in the 57 day window for full cruise back to cc and deposit as fcc.    Talked to princess rep just a bit ago and she said I can wait til the 48 hr before to cancel and the cruise would be a cc refund and deposit as fcc.  Is this correct?    It doesn’t sound correct to me.     We really just want all our $$$ back on cc.   How do I do this or what do I do?   Wait for Princess to cancel us? Lol

We all know Alaska will be cancelled for this cruise but when I asked her about Seattle port being closed indefinitely, Canada is pretty much closed she said Princess doesn’t have that info and still deciding on things.  REALLY?    Couldn’t believe her response.!!   

Thanks

So I don't think she is correct with that information as far as the refund and FCC amounts.  I went ahead for our 5/16/20 Alaskan cruise and cancelled last Thursday, as you stated above before the next penalty stage kicked in.  The confirmation email showed the correct penalty amounts applied for FCC and rest as refund.  She might have been told to encourage you to wait and to receive refund as FCC credit instead.  However we also wanted more refund and less FCC, as we have over 10K into this cruise.

Actually a PVP called us last night to see if we had any questions about the cancellation policy and she was quite honest and said they are aware of the Canadian closure as well as Seattle port suspending and that she understood why I went ahead and cancelled our 2 cabins.  That was before today when I heard Alaska was also shutting down indefinitely, I think that kind of seals the deal, don't you??  Alaska isn't happening.  Good Luck with your decision going forward!

14 minutes ago, tbirfblue said:

Thanks

I know, it is frustrating to say the least.  I understand Carnival is making their announcement tomorrow, maybe Princess will follow suit.  

So, for your original question, yes, you can wait up until 48 hours prior to the sailing to receive your costs back as a future cruise credit.  Keep in mind that you will have the taxes and fees and any extras (excursions, beverage packages, specialty dinners, etc) that were pre-purchased back as cash to your credit card.  

I also spoke to my PVP down at Princess and she said the same with regards to the FCC.  However, I specifically asked if Princess canceled the cruise, what is the process for that.  If they cancel the sailing (mine is also in May and to Alaska so I know it's going to be canceled), they are supposed to refund in cash if that is your choice.  I am already waiting on a refund plus cruise credits for a cruise in early April.  I reiterated that if Princess cancels the cruise, I want to get my cash back in full (via my credit card) ... she again agreed that I would get my cash back.  That's all I want if they cancel because it appears being able to use those FCC's are now tied to some restrictions.  

So, if you cancel or change your dates, you have 48 hours to switch to another sailing or get FCC's in the amount of the cruise fare (with those other expenses refunded in cash).  

If Princess cancels, supposedly, you have 100% of all your costs refunded to your credit card.  

• 2 weeks later...

So, ever since Carnival cancelled all of its Alaska cruises through June 30, I have been waiting for Princess to mirror the announcement.  Since Carnival owns Princess, why wouldn't Princess be canceling too?

Princess still says on their website that they are still evaluating all aspects of the required decision-making.

What on earth is holding them up?