Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

Apparently it's Black Cat Appreciation Day today, Biggles decided to help me work from home today !

Fortunately I wasn't trying to use that keyboard.

My ship watching continues with Columbo - Troubled Waters and now Captain's Table from 1936 !

IMG_20200817_145416.jpg

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Apparently it's Black Cat Appreciation Day today, Biggles decided to help me work from home today !

My ship watching continues with Columbo - Troubled Waters and now Captain's Table from 1936 !

IMG_20200817_145416.jpg

Biggles is a beautiful cat, but there is definitely something devilish in his eyes. What does he have in his mouth? It doesn’t look anything like a mouse.

3 hours ago, vettprincess said:

Here in Minnesota there are mask rules but not everyone is compliant. Protesters and marches (every day for something) and also marched at the Governor's house to protest masks. Lots of people doing their own thing here. I have not been anywhere since Feb. No take out food, just grocery stores. I have a variety of masks, in my purse, in the car and in the house. Not so concerned about covid but more concern about all the shootings and crime 24/7. They attacked my police precinct Sat night and the police can't do anything. The media not forthcoming about all that is happening so unless you live near all the crime you do not know about it.

If cruises were available I would escape to Florida and jump on a cruise ship every week. Then up to NYC to hop on a ship from there. It would be a dream just to do a TA on QM2 and then come back right away. Crazy I know but one has to dream. Weather here 80 and humidity lower for a change. Tornadoes on Friday most did not touch all the way to the ground.

Have a great week here and across all the ponds.

I too would love to hop on a cruise ship as often as possible. But, I don’t know that I would be comfortable on one right now. Let’s hope for that vaccine ASAP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LewiLewi said:

Biggles is a beautiful cat, but there is definitely something devilish in his eyes. What does he have in his mouth? It doesn’t look anything like a mouse.

It's his collar with a magnet to open the cat flap. He can be very devilish when the mood takes him but very affectionate at other times.

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

IMG_20200817_145416.jpg

KITTY DOES NOT LOOK HAPPY....

We should have been driving down to Southampton today to board QV tomorrow, along with Lanky Lad. We also have the balance of our final 2020 cruise to pay this week, to go at the end of November. We will pay it, although I suspect we will not be going. 

Have  a lovely trip away, Lanky Lad, though I see you chose Oxford over Cambridge.......

Biggles is lovely, HH. It is hard to get a good photo of a black cat. Our previous cat was black and we found her very hard to take photos of. Biggles looks great guarding the keyboard.

Jazz, my black and white cat wants to know if he counts for black cat appreciation day. Biscuit, my ginger and white cat wants to know when his day is?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Camgirl said:

Biggles is lovely, HH. It is hard to get a good photo of a black cat. Our previous cat was black and we found her very hard to take photos of. Biggles looks great guarding the keyboard.

Jazz, my black and white cat wants to know if he counts for black cat appreciation day. Biscuit, my ginger and white cat wants to know when his day is?

Appreciation day for all animals all the time.

Sorry if Jazz and Biscuit felt left out ! I think the black cat day started because they are often left behind in rescues and shelters as they are difficult to photograph and don't look good in selfies. He's our second black cat after the much missed Hattie, completely different in looks and temperament.

I've booked another cottage in West Wales to make up the week, Mr HH hasn't booked the time off yet so I might be going on my own !

Hope everyone is staying safe. We have a maintenance shutdown this week & next so there will be lots more people on site, hopefully they will be able to carry out the work with the extra hazard of covid-19.

Yes, our previous, also much missed, cat, Midnight, was all black. She was the most calm, placid cat I have ever met. She lived to be over 18 years old. Jazz and Biscuit, who are brothers, arrived three and a half years ago, and bring us a lot of joy. I would hate it if we didn't have a cat in the house.

West Wales in September sounds lovely. It is such a long time since we visited that beautiful area. We have no trips planned at the moment, but I am hopeful we might venture out for a night or so after the schools go back. I still feel very nervous about the idea, but reading about other people's positive experiences is encouraging.

23 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

They've all departed now Lanky Lad due to the high winds. QV on her way to Margate apparently.

Glad we went to North Wales last week and not this. Trees have been blown over and crushed cars in Portmeirion!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53854801

This has been a dreadful year - on top,of COVID.   The northeast US was raked by what was supposed to be a minor hurricane, much of California is burning,  the corn belt in the center of the country has lost much of this year’s crop to that 100-plus mph wind storm last week - and we are just getting into the serious hurricane season. I would have preferred to have slept through the year (and Election Day is still to come).

41 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

This has been a dreadful year - on top,of COVID.   The northeast US was raked by what was supposed to be a minor hurricane, much of California is burning,  the corn belt in the center of the country has lost much of this year’s crop to that 100-plus mph wind storm last week - and we are just getting into the serious hurricane season. I would have preferred to have slept through the year (and Election Day is still to come).

And now, we are told that a tropical storm is headed (well maybe or maybe not) to south east Texas. Oh well it's free water and with the heat we have had this August free water would be a good thing. But I agree NBT, it has not been a cracker jack year. My crossing scheduled for 22 July went pfft (fortunately I canceled the day before the final payment) and in January my older brother and best friend for 75 years entered immortality (as they say in Spanish, I like that.) So it's memorable but not for the best reasons. 

Yes, we’ve been doing it, and it’s been very enjoyable.

This scheme gives a discount of 50% per person on food and non alcoholic drinks, up to a maximum of £10 per person, and is applicable on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. The restaurants and cafes then claim the discount back from the government. 

It seems to have been a success. People were reluctant to come out of lockdown, but the scheme has enticed people out, and the idea is that it gets the economy going again. 

I’ve been out for lunch, breakfast and for coffee and cake. All the places that I have visited have been well organised social distancing is maintained. It’s been a very good experience. 

No, we haven't, I think it's been quite successful although there was some concern that it would just move spend from the weekend to earlier in the week.

We have 2 pubs in the village but only one has signed up for it.

25 minutes ago, alc13 said:

“Eat Out to Help Out” - I just learned of this from one of our US newspapers.  Have any of you in the UK tried it?  A nice effort to help the restaurants, if people feel safe to do it.

I haven’t heard about this in Florida, yet. But honestly, we are not yet ready to eat out at a restaurant. I would probably be watching everyone as to: social distancing, touching things, wearing a mask, etc. I don’t think it would be a fun experience at this time for us. But I will order takeout from our favorite restaurants, and it is delivered right to our doorstep. Then I will bring it into the house, wipe down the containers and eat it. We do enjoy that. Tonight is Chinese takeout; should be here in half an hour.

Have a nice weekend.

• Like 1

We have only been comfortable with carry-out... and only from our favorite and trusted restaurants so far. (Central Florida)

When we have done that, we tip extremely well- American restaurant workers always need (and rely on) good tips... but especially now... It has been so hard on them. So we go the extra mile in tipping. 😊

It is (honestly) going to be a while before we go into a restaurant to eat out. 
The confidence is not there for us yet.

55 minutes ago, alc13 said:

“Eat Out to Help Out” - I just learned of this from one of our US newspapers.  Have any of you in the UK tried it?  A nice effort to help the restaurants, if people feel safe to do it.

I took advantage of this on my road trip for breakfast and lunch.  We had to pre-book to be sure of getting a table as most places were fully booked.  On Wednesday to make up for not being on QV, I had a lovely meal in the oldest pub in Stratford on Avon.  A £25 meal for £15, what a bargain.

On 8/18/2020 at 9:41 AM, Camgirl said:

Have  a lovely trip away, Lanky Lad, though I see you chose Oxford over Cambridge.......

Thanks Camgirl

This was due to location rather than any comment on the university.

We had a great time but would have rather been on board QV right now.

@Lanky Lad I can imagine but at least you managed to salvage something. I still haven't been inside a pub or restaurant to eat or drink but we sat outside our local again last night and there were quite a few people going inside. At one point the bar area was at capacity so one of the regulars had to wait outside for someone to leave ! Contact details are taken every visit and staff wear masks. It feels as safe as it can be and we have very few cases in this area at the moment.

The rules are being relaxed again in Wales, particularly on meeting households indoors, hopefully it'll make it easier for families to meet. Just to give people an idea of the variations across the 4 parts of the UK BBC posted this graphic.

IMG_20200822_075209.jpg

• Like 1

Where I live has extra measures in place about meeting others inside homes and pubs.  Thankfully, this does not apply to support bubbles.  We were still legally allowed to go on holiday so long as we did not mix with other households. 

Some new restrictions added now in some parts of Blackburn, but it does not help when 100 people attend a wedding party.  This comes only weeks after 250 people went to a funeral.  It seems some people in Blackburn find it hard to understand or follow rules.