Use insurance or wait for Celebrity to extend cancellation date?

mazeke77

We are a group of 4 adults booked on the Celebrity Solstice for Sept. 18-28, Vancouver to Hawaii.  Since the date we booked, the other couple has been in the hospital with pneumonia. They aren't recovering very well. Due to the respiratory complications from COVID-19

Do you have CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) coverage with your third (3rd) party travel insurance? If so, then you will receive approximately 50% - 75% back, pending on your policy of course.

If your final payment date has not occurred you can get full refund.

Need more info about your policy and its' coverage as each policy is different.

I trust your friends will fully recover and soon.

bon voyage

Celebrity hasn't cancelled cruises that are 3 weeks away so it is doubtful that they will announce the cancellation of a September cruise for 4-5 months.   Are you booked with a non-refundable deposit?   If so do you have Cancel For Any Reason insurance.  If so your insurance would be the way to go.   If not then would your insurance cover you if you cancel because your traveling companions can't travel.

• Thanks 1

You are well outside the final payment date so you should be able to cancel your cruise with a deposit refund back to your credit card if you are sailing with a  Refundable Deposit Booking.

If you are sailing with a Non Refundable Deposit booking, you will get the $100 pp administrative deduction, and the rest of your deposit as an FCC.

Below are the cancellation date and penalties for your cruise.

You may want to hang on a few weeks to see if your cruise rolls into the 'Cruise with Confidence' offer if you booked with a NRDB, but, to be honest, if this was causing me stress I would cancel and write off the $100 pp admin fee. The FCC for the remainder of your deposit is part of the terms and conditions of a NRDB, hopefully you can use it for another cruise, if not your insurance may help, contact them.

Cheers, heather 🥂

image.png.8b4a68596fb062aba18039f918b92df0.png

• Thanks 1

We obviously do not know the terms of your policy or what country you reside. I would call your insurance company and Give them the details. Even on the cruise insurance board where this belongs nobody knows the details of your policy.

They might agree to refund your insurance premium if you cancel the cruise.

Agree probably not worth the stress for either zero or $200 and you might get the insurance $$ back too.

I personally think it's unlikely that Sept cruises will be cancelled by Celebrity. You are too early for a doctor to say that the person is unfit to travel. Agree with the others that if you can cancel with a minimal amount out of pocket and prefer to not go, then cancel. If you cannot then I would wait until you see how the other couple is doing in a few weeks. Not sure what the hurry is to make a decision now.

Thanks for the help. Sorry I asked this on the wrong board. As for being in a hurry, the doctor is already saying it would be to risky for the other couple to travel in Sept. So I was asking for different opinions.  Since the cancellation window for Celebrity is July 31, I think it is best to wait and see if the cancellation window is extended.